ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will a canceled divorce affect ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Irri
Newly Registered

Will a canceled divorce affect ILR

Post by Irri » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:41 pm

My wife and I split up. We've been on and off ever since. I want to give it one last chance, but I'd like to be divorced in a few month's time if it doesn't work out.

She is due to get her ILR late next year. If I were to apply for divorce, but not go through with it, is there any chance that could affect her ILR?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 pm

It is likely to affect her. You are required to be in a subsisting marriage during her probation period for her to qualify for PR.

The onus is on her to make the relationship work. In the event of you splitting the borders agency may need to be notified.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Irri
Newly Registered

Re: Will a canceled divorce affect ILR

Post by Irri » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks for the response.

From the UKBA web page:
UKBA wrote: "If your marriage, civil partnership or other relationship permanently breaks down while your partner still has only limited permission to stay in the UK..."
It says "permanently" so if two people have an argument, almost get divorced, then get back together surely that isn't permanent. Could they find out that a divorce was filed for, but never completed?

If we apply for ILR with all the documents proving we were living together and are still married, isn't that okay?