ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian Marriage certificate for schengen visa(EU spouse)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yvo1234

Indian Marriage certificate for schengen visa(EU spouse)

Post by yvo1234 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:19 pm

HI,
As I was reading on french visa website, They have mentioned on the website visa requirement for EU(UK) national spouse---

1) If marriage certificate from outside Euorpe then you have to verify from foreign embassy as we have Indian marriage certificate. Is that true, myself and my son British national travelling with my wife to france.My wife hold UK spouse visa.

I would thankful if somebody clarify. Thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Member states are entitled to ask for marriage certificates to be translated, legalised or notorised. Some embassies may take a sensible approach and would use your wife's UK residence permit as proof of entitlement. You need to check this out.

korp
Newly Registered

Post by korp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:35 pm

You can travel around EU/Schengen without any Schengen Visa and just the UK residence permit. We did this last year, to France, Spain and Italy. There were no problems at all.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:01 pm

korp wrote:You can travel around EU/Schengen without any Schengen Visa and just the UK residence permit. We did this last year, to France, Spain and Italy. There were no problems at all.
KORP, what exactly do you have, a residence card or permit?

korp
Newly Registered

Post by korp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
korp wrote:You can travel around EU/Schengen without any Schengen Visa and just the UK residence permit. We did this last year, to France, Spain and Italy. There were no problems at all.
KORP, what exactly do you have, a residence card or permit?
One of those papers attached on a page in the passport, so not a card I guess?

bharathbala2003
Newly Registered

Re: Indian Marriage certificate for schengen visa(EU spouse)

Post by bharathbala2003 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 pm

yvo1234 wrote:HI,
As I was reading on french visa website, They have mentioned on the website visa requirement for EU(UK) national spouse---

1) If marriage certificate from outside Euorpe then you have to verify from foreign embassy as we have Indian marriage certificate. Is that true, myself and my son British national travelling with my wife to france.My wife hold UK spouse visa.

I would thankful if somebody clarify. Thanks
hi yes you need to give them a copy of your marriage certificate but it does not need to be noterised. i just travelled to schengen states with my wife and applied for the visa through the French visa processing centre in london. previously when i tried approaching the Italy joint visa application centre they refused to take my application due to the very same reason of not having a seal on my marriage certificate from my home country embassy here in London.

I find it very stupid for them to ask especially since UKBA has already verified my wife to be my dependent and given her a valid residence permit in the form a dependent visa.. it is good that the French understand this and give it :)

sierra
- thin ice -

Post by sierra » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:19 pm

for visits your certificates can be ok but for applying residence card etc in italy they ask translation and legalization by italian embassy in home country.

bowcreek

Post by bowcreek » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 pm

bharathbala2003 wrote:
hi yes you need to give them a copy of your marriage certificate but it does not need to be noterised. i just travelled to schengen states with my wife and applied for the visa through the French visa processing centre in london. previously when i tried approaching the Italy joint visa application centre they refused to take my application due to the very same reason of not having a seal on my marriage certificate from my home country embassy here in London.

I find it very stupid for them to ask especially since UKBA has already verified my wife to be my dependent and given her a valid residence permit in the form a dependent visa.. it is good that the French understand this and give it :)
Hi mate - I would imagine if went to the Italian consulate / VFS to aply for Visa, you must have booked your accomodation and travel tickets in Italy - Since they refused to take your application due to the above mentioned reason, how did you manage to use your Italian itiniery ? Did you travel to France first then ?

d_seng
Newly Registered

Post by d_seng » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Just to share with all, my wife obtained British citizenship last year by naturalisation. We got married in India many years ago but I still have my Indian passport.

I went to the Swiss embassy for a EU spouse visa, but they refused to accept the Indian Marriage certificate which reads "Hindu Marriage Register". They said they do not accept Hindu Marriage certificates and asked me to apply using under the tourist visa category.

So now I have to take an appointment, buy travel insurance, order printed copies of my bank statements, get a letter from my employer and and pay the fees too.

Very very strange.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:03 pm

d_seng wrote:Just to share with all, my wife obtained British citizenship last year by naturalisation. We got married in India many years ago but I still have my Indian passport.

I went to the Swiss embassy for a EU spouse visa, but they refused to accept the Indian Marriage certificate which reads "Hindu Marriage Register". They said they do not accept Hindu Marriage certificates and asked me to apply using under the tourist visa category.

So now I have to take an appointment, buy travel insurance, order printed copies of my bank statements, get a letter from my employer and and pay the fees too.

Very very strange.
Getting other countries to recognise a foreign marriage can be a pain. There are means of obtaining evidence that you are married; whether by getting Indian consulate to legalise your marriage certificate or otherwise.

The Swiss are not bound by directive 2004/38/ec, but rather a bilateral agreement with the EU. You might consider visiting a different Schengen country. There it might be easier to demonstrate that you are married or if you cannot, that you are durable partners.