ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement - Help!!!!!!!!!!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mattv85
Newly Registered

English Language Requirement - Help!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mattv85 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi

I am a british citizen married currently living in the UK married to a Brazilian national, my wife was in the UK prior to January on a 6 month visitor visa to which after she returned when required to apply for her spouse visa we have now been apart for 9 months apart from a recent holiday to Brazil.
This has become very frustrating and painful for the both of us and the main reason for being separated this long is purely down to the test, we have stacks of evidence and documents required to make the application apart from this awful test requirement.
My wife tried the KET test back in June which unfortuntely she failed on her overall test mark, I think a lot of this was down to nerves and pressure of the test, this has now really knocked her confidence, really what I am asking is what test anyone can recommend.
My wife has a basic command of English and can understand but when put under pressure can struggle a little.
Looking at all these tests have been stressful as we have been struggling getting the info in Brazil, looking at IELTS I think this may be a little difficult.
PLEASE HELP!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated in this stressful time.

mattv85
Newly Registered

Post by mattv85 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Please anyone any suggestions or help?

st pauli

Post by st pauli » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Tell her to take another test that doesn't really matter, it's just an exercise to get her used to taking the test. Tell her you've written this one off and don't expect her to pass it, it's just an exercise to get her used to the situation, a training exercise to help her out. You may find that with the pressure 'off' she actually passes it.

riversidecreations

Post by riversidecreations » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:27 pm

my wife was in a similar situation - it came to a point, in April, she had to force herself to go to spoken english classes. she went through a lot of youtube videos and 12 english classes. She was booked to take the IELTS and to be on the safe side, she had also booked herself for KET exam.

She felt that KET exam was the most easiest
Sujan
-------------------------
Application Submitted : 27/08/2012
Application refused :( - 09/11/2012
Appeal Lodged : 15/11/2012
ECM to respond by : 30/04/2012
DOT Letter received : 24/04/2013
Passport/Visa Collected : 14/05/2013

saw87
Newly Registered

Post by saw87 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:48 pm

mattv85, have you looked at the City & Guilds IESOL test? They offer a test specifically for spouse visa that only tests Speaking & Listening. My partner is due to sit this test at the end of the month.

You can find practise papers on the City & Guilds website and it seems quite straight forward. It is more expensive than the KET test at approx £150 but worth it if you wife can pass. Good luck.

king2be98
- thin ice -

Post by king2be98 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:12 pm

You need to get your wife to revise and prepare for the english test as you would prepare for any other exam.

The current English language requirements are very easy to meet, so ask her to continue speaking and watching and most importantly revising for the test. No pass on the test, no VISA.

priya26

Post by priya26 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Hello,

I have given IELTS. It is pretty easy. I gave academic IELTS, the general training IELTS is supposed to be easier. All you need is a few good books ( you get the course material when you book IELTS ) and make sure she knows how to manage her time while giving the test. It should be okay.

Good luck guys.

mattv85
Newly Registered

Post by mattv85 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:09 pm

saw87 wrote:mattv85, have you looked at the City & Guilds IESOL test? They offer a test specifically for spouse visa that only tests Speaking & Listening. My partner is due to sit this test at the end of the month.

You can find practise papers on the City & Guilds website and it seems quite straight forward. It is more expensive than the KET test at approx £150 but worth it if you wife can pass. Good luck.
Thanks Saw87 we have tried looking into this one but I don't think there is a test centre in Rio as I thought the same as you as it looks more easier and you only need to do what is relative to the visa requirements which is just speaking & listening which is a great shame because I thought this would have been better, but also looking on the website it is difficult to find locations.
See the biggest problem we are having is getting the info from the test centres in Brazil all they want is the money before giving the info we need, seems they take full advantage of it.

mattv85
Newly Registered

Post by mattv85 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:19 pm

king2be98 wrote:You need to get your wife to revise and prepare for the english test as you would prepare for any other exam.

The current English language requirements are very easy to meet, so ask her to continue speaking and watching and most importantly revising for the test. No pass on the test, no VISA.
King2be98 Very easy for you to sit back and say the English Requirements are easy, you try it after being separated for 9 months put under a lot of pressure and trying to sort out your family life at the same time.
SHe has been revising and studying that's the obvious thing to do, we are about the only country where you need this, isn't the whole idea of being in a different country is to learn the culture an language while you are there???

saw87
Newly Registered

Post by saw87 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:33 pm

You could try emailing intcg@cityandguilds.com, maybe they can advise of a test centre that is near your wife. I emailed and they replied very quickly with addresses and telephone numbers of the nearest centers, although they were in the UK as my partners currently here on a visitors visa. [/b]