ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use british citizen living outside of UK to be referee

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

skyhaoo
Newly Registered

Can I use british citizen living outside of UK to be referee

Post by skyhaoo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi,

Can I use british citizen who is not living in UK as referee? If I can, is there any downside to do that?

Thanks, H

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Can I use british citizen living outside of UK to be ref

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:06 pm

skyhaoo wrote:Can I use british citizen who is not living in UK as referee? If I can, is there any downside to do that?
For what, passport or naturalisation? For the first I do not know, but for the latter it is possible - provided firstly that it is someone of professional standing (and all other requirements are met, like knowing you for 3+ years, no convictions in the last 10 years, etc.) and secondly that the second referee is British (of professional standing and/or older than 25 years). I am not aware of any downsides.

skyhaoo
Newly Registered

Post by skyhaoo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:28 pm

It is for naturalisation. He is British citizen, was GP in UK and is GP in another country. Would he be ok to be my professional referee? I am a bit concerned, don't want to make mistake. I will really appreciate if anyone can shed a light on this with their experience.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:32 pm

skyhaoo wrote:He is British citizen, was GP in UK and is GP in another country. Would he be ok to be my professional referee?
Yes, that seems to be perfectly alright. Doctors have been ditched from the official list, but that had different reasons. Don't worry too much about it, if the HO is not entirely convinced, they simply ask you for a third reference anyway. If you made a serious effort, they will not refuse your application because they don't approve your choice. A British GP is suitable regardless where his current domicile is - technically, he would not even have to be British to begin with. Find a second one, and you are good to go.

skyhaoo
Newly Registered

Post by skyhaoo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Many thanks