ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR & Benefits

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

colinm
Newly Registered

EEA PR & Benefits

Post by colinm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:15 pm

I am an EEA national and holding Permanent Residence card since 2 years. My wife is currently on EEA residence permit and has not obtained PR.

As I have lost my job :( last week understand we both can claim income and contributions based benefits for short-term (6 months) and this will not have any impact on her non-EEA permanent residence card due in 4 years?

Appreciate confirmation on above.

Thank you.

Colin

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:21 pm

how long have you been married and living together. When your non-eea partner first got its RC eea2.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

colinm
Newly Registered

Post by colinm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:25 pm

She got her 5 year residence card in August 2012 and have been married for 11 months.

Thank you.

Colin

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:27 pm

I do not think the benefits you are planning to claim can affect because according to ukba the following ones are not considered public funds under immigration rules are:

 Contribution based jobseeker's allowance
 Guardian’s allowance
 Incapacity benefit
 Contribution-based employment and support allowance (ESA)
 Maternity allowance
 Retirement pension
 Statutory maternity pay
 Widow’s benefit and bereavement benefit.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

colinm
Newly Registered

Post by colinm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks. So inspite of me having PR I still cannot claim public funds ie. housing benefit etc.?

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:37 pm

better to go through this web link and read in detail about public funds as how it affect application:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I believe you are able to claim any benefits to which you are entitled if you have a permanent residence.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:21 pm

I agree with Obie on this. Once you are on PR you effectively have the same rights as a citizen with regards to claiming benefits, even if you are not working. Just make sure that the claim is in your name rather than your partner's.

Just wanted to point out that there is a distinction between income-based unemployment benefit (public fund) and contribution-based (not a public fund), which wouldn't apply to you but may apply to someone reading this thread who does not have PR.