ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport after ROA

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

z4ydi

British Passport after ROA

Post by z4ydi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 am

I am a British citizen. My child was born in Pakistan in Dec – 2010 while my wife waited for her spouse visa to be processed. As my son was British by decent, he was issued the ROA (Right of Abode) on his Pakistani passport – Both my wife and son arrived in the UK in Feb-2011.
My question are:
  • 1. I have not applied for a British passport for my son yet - Does the ROA expire?, do I have to apply for a British passport within a 2 years like the spouse visa?
    2. When applying for British passport do I send my passport with his application or my wife’s (she is not British yet she has a Pakistani Passport with Spouse visa – valid till March 2013).
Many thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 am

1. ROA expires when the passport it's in expires.
2. No need to send parents' passports. Just fill in your British passport number in section 4 on the form.

z4ydi

Post by z4ydi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Jambo wrote:1. ROA expires when the passport it's in expires.
2. No need to send parents' passports. Just fill in your British passport number in section 4 on the form.
Thank you Jambo for your response. I thought the same but when I filled in the form and went to the post office (their passport application check staff) asked for my wife's passport (Pakistani Passport with a spouse visa on it) to be sent with the application - I was a bit reluctant to send my wife's passport in case it goes missing so I offered mine (British passport) and she said, no - it has to be mother's passport for identity etc. I am confused...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:28 pm

I believe the PO staff were wrong. I suggest you call IPS advice line on 0300 222 0000 to receive confirmation.

z4ydi

Post by z4ydi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Jambo
Thanks for your advice.
I just called the IPS and they adviced me to send:
  • 1. My Passport (British passport of the parent who was British at the time of birth)
    2. Son's passport
    3. Son's Birth certificate from the country he was born - with English translation
    4. Application form.

Thanks
[/list]