ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OLD FLR(M) waiting times Thread

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

backagain

Post by backagain » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:12 am

finallydone12 your story is an anomaly and not a loophole or jump-the-queue solution. This forum is rife with stories of people that have used solicitors, MPs, letter and fax campaigns, official requests for information, filed complaints, and barraged the UKBA with phone calls only to receive the same answer. For whatever reason your application was magically decided from June versus the estimated 7000+ (average 1900 per month) for Feb, Mar, Apr, and May that were submitted before is a mystery.

The reality is that there is no trick to move an application forward as that would go beyond policy and place the UKBA and Home Office in jeopardy of investigation. Again, not even an MP can advance an application except for compassionate reasons. Forum tricks to move an application ahead in the queue offer people false hope while thousands wait for any word that their application is nearer to a decision. If those thousands all started to swamp UKBA with requests and demands, then the process will be slowed even further. Patience and support are the best antidotes for managing this extremely challenging time in all our lives.

Todmatt you can download the Request for Return of documents at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... return.doc. We submitted for my wife's documents on 9 October and they were mailed 18 October. There is a section where you must select to NOT withdraw you application. Make sure you select the appropriate response.

backagain

Post by backagain » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:42 am

A FOI request was made regarding processing order on 7 Sept. The reply, posted 8 October, was more than interesting.

This part should clear up some questions people have:

1) Do you process postal FLR(M) applications in the order in which you receive the application form or the biometric parameters?

Family applications are processed in order of biometric enrolment date except where there are compelling and compassionate reasons applications to prioritise the application as urgent.

Here are two FOI responses that should answer questions many of us have from "the horses mouth."

8 October 2012
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... 05v0.2.pdf

28 August 2012
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... v1%202.pdf

Mind you...after reading these I ended up with more questions. Perhaps it is time to submit another request for fresh data.

backagain

Post by backagain » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:51 am

Browsing the Whatdotheyknow site, I came across some GREAT information. For ease of reading let me give you the percentages of processing that I crunched from the spreadsheet linked below. The data was relevant as of 16 October (percentages are round+/- .50) and is only for FLR(M) applications by post. FLR(M) in person has a near immediate return.

Feb - No. Cases 1,818 Proc within 6 Mos48% Pending 51%
Mar - No. Cases 1,914 Proc within 6 Mos23% Pending 77%
Apr- No. Cases 1,423 Proc within 6 Mos44% Pending 56%
May- No. Cases 1,936 Proc within 6 Mos25% Pending 75%
May- No. Cases 2,025 Proc within 6 Mos9% Pending 91%

What the statistics show is status. What the statistics do not show are the reasons why some applications are slower to process versus others that move quickly. You will see a clear division in efficiency between 2011 and 2012. Last year's processing was much faster. However. the PDF lays out the policy of prioritization which may shed some light on the most burning questions.

16 October 2012
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... 20v1.0.pdf

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/1 ... A%20v2.xls

backagain

Post by backagain » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:54 am

Just read the following House of Parliament transcript on the questioning of UKBA Chief Executive Rob Whiteman. You learn about the company hired to "help" clear the backlog and the £40m price tag attached, the impact of the Olympics on the process, and a rash of convoluted double-talk from Whitehouse regarding why his organization is so far behind. I found Q10, Q92-94 of particular interest.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... c60301.htm

Anyway, good reading. I think I will join the list of those that have filed complaints. After reading this, even the House Affairs Committee investigation on the work of UKBA between Jan - Jun 2012 is not getting decent answers. This abysmal excuse for visa processing must be held accountable for the way they mess with people's lives.

backagain

Post by backagain » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Just sent a complaint letter to UKBA and copied our MP. After reading the Home Affairs Committee report and Mr.Whiteman's dodgy answers, it seemed appropriate for another voice to chime in through the correct channels.
UKBA Complaints Allocation Hub
Lunar House
Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

Dear Sir or Madam,

I've just finished reading the 18 September 2012 House of Commons, Home Affairs Committee report on The Work of the UK Border Agency (April 2012 - June 2012). Additionally I've scoured relevant Freedom of Information Act responses to the issue of processing times for FLR(M) settlement visa between January and June 2012.

Although the individual UKBA persons that we have spoken to on occasion have been polite and helpful to a point, the overall system for handling visa applications is abysmal and further exacerbated by a lack of communication. Even filing a complaint is a navigational challenge of dead ends. For instance, the UKBA web site allows for complaints on the subject "I am unhappy about the standard of service received from the UK Border Agency (other than in the categories listed above)," but does not allow for complaints for applications filed within the UK, only outside the UK.

Where I note a problem in regard to standard of service is in the negligent processing of Q2 2012 settlement visas applied by post. I've analysed a spreadsheet for a FOI respose (FOI ref 1721/24218) on the questions of processing times and prioritization of processing. According the spreadsheet attached to the response dated 16 October 2012, the following represents the progress or lack thereof on FLR(M) applications:

Feb - No. Cases 1,818 Proc within 6 Mos 48% Pending 51%
Mar - No. Cases 1,914 Proc within 6 Mos 23% Pending 77%
Apr- No. Cases 1,423 Proc within 6 Mos 44% Pending 56%
May- No. Cases 1,936 Proc within 6 Mos 25% Pending 75%
Jun - No. Cases 2,025 Proc within 6 Mos 9% Pending 91%

How can these number possible represent a quality of service that UKBA achieved in 2011? Using the numbers provided under FOIA, that means approximately 3190 applications or 61% of 5155 are pending beyond six months. From what I gather, the FLR(M) visa application is appropriate for couples that have already undergone some previous visa requirement. Our application is a conversion from a fiance visa. While our straightforward application waits in filing limbo, applicants from latter months gain decisions with no more validation than our story.

We appreciate the need to screen applications for what MP Theresa May refers to as "sham marriages" (Sunday Politics 21 October 2012) or other applicants determined to milk from the UK system. We can also appreciate that there may actually be a large number of noted applications. However, we are not in that category. Somehow we have been trapped in this bureaucratic quagmire and been disallowed from making a full contribution to the betterment of the society. While Mr. Whiteman has a daunting task to implement corrective measures on a poorly conceived and failed previous immigration policy, the system he has employed feels punitive and lacks systemic structure to effectively process applications.

Our visa application is probably near a decision as we are approaching seven months since I applied. My complaint letter is unlikely to have any impact on my decision. I am complaining on behalf of the next man, woman, or family with a legitimate request for a visa. No person deserves such delays without due process and effective communications from an agency that hold lives in their hands.

Dsin

Post by Dsin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:45 pm

backagain wrote:Just read the following House of Parliament transcript on the questioning of UKBA Chief Executive Rob Whiteman. You learn about the company hired to "help" clear the backlog and the £40m price tag attached, the impact of the Olympics on the process, and a rash of convoluted double-talk from Whitehouse regarding why his organization is so far behind. I found Q10, Q92-94 of particular interest.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... c60301.htm

Anyway, good reading. I think I will join the list of those that have filed complaints. After reading this, even the House Affairs Committee investigation on the work of UKBA between Jan - Jun 2012 is not getting decent answers. This abysmal excuse for visa processing must be held accountable for the way they mess with people's lives.
Thank you backagain for this, and your other recent posts. I haven't had chance to read the whole transcript but did look at the questions you highlighted. Interesting reading indeed. Mr Whitehouse seems to find it rather difficult to accept responsibility or to fully acknowledge the impact that these delays have on our lives. It's easy to sit in an office and forget that the names on these applications forms are real people with real problems resulting from begin unable to work/study/build a life.

The most frustrating thing for us is that those being penalized are the honest ones in genuine relationships who want to do nothing more than work, pay their own way and contribute to society - good, decent people.

Thank you for taking the time to post all the info you have over the last few days. I hope that your wait is, after nearly 7 months, over very soon.

jackal6735
Newly Registered

received approval letter

Post by jackal6735 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm

dear friends
i have been following this thread regularly for few months and was very helpful to keep track
i had applied for my wife and son
think many of those who applied in march are waiting
the solicitor just got the approval letter and documents back
will hopefully receive biometric permit in 10 days time

my appx timeline-dnt have exact dates with me

date docs sent- 8/03/2012
acknowledegemt letter appx 2 weeks time
biometric done appx about 28/3/2012
approval letter received-22/10/2012
brp-waiting

all the best!

Dsin

Re: received approval letter

Post by Dsin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm

jackal6735 wrote:dear friends
i have been following this thread regularly for few months and was very helpful to keep track

brp-waiting

all the best!
Great news jackal6735, congratulations! :D

CDNgirl

Post by CDNgirl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

waitwaitwait,

You stated that you are switching from a Tier 4 Student visa to the FLR(M), have you been working full time while you have been awaiting the approval of your application?

Thanks to everyone who continues to post on this thread, it makes the whole process easier to bare. I recenetly applied for my FLR(M) and my timeline so far, which isn't much is:

Applied for: FLR(M) Unmarried partners Visa
Applied by post: 25/09/12
Money taken: 01/10/12
Letter of acknowledgement from UKBA: 08/10/12
Biometrics request letter: waiting

backagain

Post by backagain » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Fantastic news Jackal6735. Glad to see a March application get the nod. Go enjoy life!

Still.Waiting

Re: received approval letter

Post by Still.Waiting » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:18 pm

jackal6735 wrote:dear friends

brp-waiting

all the best!
congrates and thanks for sharing. Good to see March on the list now :)

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 pm

I requested for my wife passport yesterday. I received an email today saying that the owner of the document should request for the passport by herself? does this make sense when it clearly stated in one of the question they marked read "Please specify whose documents you require ". Has any one experience this before. Thank you

backagain

Post by backagain » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Todmatt, that wasn't our experience at all. I am the applicant and my wife is the British citizen. I requested her passport and our marriage certificate via the request form to the noted email two weeks ago--specifying the docs per the request form--and received them back today (2nd class mail). We looked high and low on the relevant UKBA site for who should request, but found no requirement. So I made the request and they complied. That is our experience anyway.

FLR M waiting time

Post by 2222 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:46 pm

I have some news - Read below

FLR M applied on: 27th February 2012
Payment out of the bank: 29th February 2012
Acknowledgement letter: I didn't get one!!
Biometric letter received on: 16th March 2012
Biometric completed on: 28th March 2012
Requested my partner’s passport: 10/10/2012
Partner’s passport received: 17/10/2012
More documents requested by UKBA: 22/10/2012
Document return: still waiting!!!
Biometric card: still waiting!!!

waitwaitwait

Post by waitwaitwait » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:11 am

Hi everyone,

Finally my turn has come to share good news on this forum. My 8 and a half month wait is finally over. I received call from my solicitor today that my BRP and dcuments have arrived. I shall be collecting them tomo so I will update my exact timeline tomo. Thanks everyone here for the support and good luck to all.

CDNgirl - I was on tier4 and I have been working part time all the way and attending college regularly with a good attendance record. Also when I applied for FLRm i did not claim exemption and took toeic test for english and scored 100% in speaking and 100% in listening too.

I shall be adding my exact timeline here tomo.

Date Docs sent: 08/02/12
Date Ack. Letter received: 20/02/12
Date biometrics booking letter received: 20/03/12 (dated 16/03/12)
Date biometrics enrolled (at Holborn post office): 22/03/12
Date BRP received: waiting
Date Docs received: waiting

Visa type: FLR(M)
From - Tier 4
Solicitor called on 22/10/12 confirming my BRP has arrived.
CDNgirl wrote:waitwaitwait,

You stated that you are switching from a Tier 4 Student visa to the FLR(M), have you been working full time while you have been awaiting the approval of your application?

Thanks to everyone who continues to post on this thread, it makes the whole process easier to bare. I recenetly applied for my FLR(M) and my timeline so far, which isn't much is:

Applied for: FLR(M) Unmarried partners Visa
Applied by post: 25/09/12
Money taken: 01/10/12
Letter of acknowledgement from UKBA: 08/10/12
Biometrics request letter: waiting

Still.Waiting

Re: FLR M waiting time

Post by Still.Waiting » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 am

2222 wrote:I have some news - Read below

FLR M applied on: 27th February 2012
Payment out of the bank: 29th February 2012
Acknowledgement letter: I didn't get one!!
Biometric letter received on: 16th March 2012
Biometric completed on: 28th March 2012
Requested my partner’s passport: 10/10/2012
Partner’s passport received: 17/10/2012
More documents requested by UKBA: 22/10/2012
Document return: still waiting!!!
Biometric card: still waiting!!!
sorry to hear that 2222 after a long wait they are still wanting more documents from you but hopefully it will all work out for you? btw the docs they requested do they have anything to do with you being on tier 4??

Skonky

To 2222

Post by Skonky » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 am

At least you ow know they working on your case 2222
Most people who have had more documents requests got their visa within a week.
So good luck and am sure you will be posting your final date some time soon.

CDNgirl

Post by CDNgirl » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:13 am

waitwaitwait:

Are you still currently studying?

Is there anyone who has applied for FLR(M) who has finished their course and is now working full time while they wait for their application to be processed? I finished my two year course this June, however my tier 4 visa is valid until November 31st. Since I have applied I beleive I can work on a temporary contract full time until my vias has been decided? Is anyone in a simular situation?

Also, on the acknowledgement letter from UKBA, it states their refrence number, but it is blank beside where it says, 'Your refrence'...was anyone elses blank as well?

Dsin

Good news!

Post by Dsin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi,

We have also received some good news today - all of our documents have been returned with a letter saying that my husband's biometric permit will be with us within 7 working days. :D

Our timeline is:

Applied online: 10/6 (payment taken same day)
Documents sent: 11/6 (received by UKBA 12/6)
Acknowledgement letter: 21/6 (dated 19/6)
Biometrics letter received: 2/8
Biometrics submitted: 7/8
Documents received: 23/10
Biometric permit received: waiting
Visa: FLR(M) from Fiance visa
Applicant nationality: Cambodian

We didn't request any of our documents back or contact the UKBA at all during this time as we didn't want to do so unless we genuinely needed the docs back.

We are very grateful for all of the support and information this forum has provided during our wait. We found our 4 1/2 month wait hard and really feel for those of you who have been waiting much longer. We are hoping that the increased number of 'good news' posts over the last two weeks means that all of your waits will be over very soon.

Many thanks to you all.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:34 pm

Congratulation Dsin

Documents sent: 21/6/2012 (received by UKBA 22/6/2012)
Acknowledgement letter: 26/6/2012 (dated 19/6)
Biometrics letter received: 5/8/2012
Biometrics submitted: 20/8/2012
Documents received: Waiting
Visa: FLR(M) from Tier 4

Any june applicants apart from dsin??

It's quite frustrating because this UKBA are just playing with peoples life.

Dsin

Post by Dsin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 pm

TODMATT wrote:Congratulation Dsin

Documents sent: 21/6/2012 (received by UKBA 22/6/2012)
Acknowledgement letter: 26/6/2012 (dated 19/6)
Biometrics letter received: 5/8/2012
Biometrics submitted: 20/8/2012
Documents received: Waiting
Visa: FLR(M) from Tier 4

Any june applicants apart from dsin??

It's quite frustrating because this UKBA are just playing with peoples life.

Thank you TODMATT. There was one June applicant who received her visa a couple of weeks ago. She had applied at the end of June so was a couple of weeks behind us at each stage until the end when she received her visa before us. She had requested docs back though which the UKBA say has no impact....

I agree that it is playing with people's lives. Whilst we are obviously very happy to have received our good news, we feel very frustrated on behalf of those still waiting and who have been waiting much longer than us.

We have no idea why our application has come through quicker than others as we didn't contact the UKBA in any way, speak with our MP or engage a solicitor.

waitwaitwait

Finally

Post by waitwaitwait » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello again,

It gives me immense pleasure to be able to write my final timeline here. I want to share it here as it feels like we are a family here discussing same issues everyone is facing and everyone is supporting each other.Thanks everyone here for the support and i wish everyone luck who is waiting.

Date BRP received: 22/10/12 (by my solicitor)
Date Docs received: 19/10/12 (by my solicitor)
From - Tier 4

It has been a very long wait of 8 and a half months. We never requested any document back as I dint want to be selfish and wanted to wait my turn. Me and my wife are very happy as I have collected all my documents and BRP from my solicitor. Now we can defo plan a trip to rome for our first wedding anniversary :)

Well CDNgirl about your questions I can certainly tell you that I am still studying and finishing my studies in november. Now as far as work is concerned for any person who is a student i.e Tier4 is only allowed to work part time. Moreover my solicitor confirmed what ukba has clarified on their website that until an application is decided the applicant's current immigration status remains in place. So it means until FLR M has been granted , all the student visa restrictions still apply. My sol did mention that while deciding an app and in order to make decision UKBA can call college to check if applicant is a genuine student and has been attending college or not because students are allowed to switch within the country provided they are not in breach of their tier4 visa. Similarly they can either see on your employment contract or payslip if you are working part time or not. They can call employer to confirm this too. So you have to be safe and make sure until your visa is granted you try to follow the tier4 rules. Now as you have mentioned that your course is already over, unfortunately it still doesn't mean that the visa status is changed. It is different for other categories if they are already in the country and have been working full time. So i would advise you to see a solicitor if possible and make sure you are doing the right thing. If solicitor says its not a problem for you to work full time then its fine but my solicitor did clarify this when i asked that student has to stick to all the restrictions until their visa category changes.
I do sincerely wish you good luck and i hope you get your good news soon.

For everyone else here I will still be checking this forum for a while and if anyone wants to ask any q or advise I would love to help.

Until then good luck everyone and I am sure I wont be applying for my indefinite by post in 2 years time :)
CDNgirl wrote:waitwaitwait:

Are you still currently studying?

Is there anyone who has applied for FLR(M) who has finished their course and is now working full time while they wait for their application to be processed? I finished my two year course this June, however my tier 4 visa is valid until November 31st. Since I have applied I beleive I can work on a temporary contract full time until my vias has been decided? Is anyone in a simular situation?

Also, on the acknowledgement letter from UKBA, it states their refrence number, but it is blank beside where it says, 'Your refrence'...was anyone elses blank as well?

Dsin

Re: Finally

Post by Dsin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm

waitwaitwait wrote:Hello again,

It gives me immense pleasure to be able to write my final timeline here. I want to share it here as it feels like we are a family here discussing same issues everyone is facing and everyone is supporting each other.Thanks everyone here for the support and i wish everyone luck who is waiting.

Date BRP received: 22/10/12 (by my solicitor)
Date Docs received: 19/10/12 (by my solicitor)
From - Tier 4

It has been a very long wait of 8 and a half months. We never requested any document back as I dint want to be selfish and wanted to wait my turn. Me and my wife are very happy as I have collected all my documents and BRP from my solicitor. Now we can defo plan a trip to rome for our first wedding anniversary :)

Well CDNgirl about your questions I can certainly tell you that I am still studying and finishing my studies in november. Now as far as work is concerned for any person who is a student i.e Tier4 is only allowed to work part time. Moreover my solicitor confirmed what ukba has clarified on their website that until an application is decided the applicant's current immigration status remains in place. So it means until FLR M has been granted , all the student visa restrictions still apply. My sol did mention that while deciding an app and in order to make decision UKBA can call college to check if applicant is a genuine student and has been attending college or not because students are allowed to switch within the country provided they are not in breach of their tier4 visa. Similarly they can either see on your employment contract or payslip if you are working part time or not. They can call employer to confirm this too. So you have to be safe and make sure until your visa is granted you try to follow the tier4 rules. Now as you have mentioned that your course is already over, unfortunately it still doesn't mean that the visa status is changed. It is different for other categories if they are already in the country and have been working full time. So i would advise you to see a solicitor if possible and make sure you are doing the right thing. If solicitor says its not a problem for you to work full time then its fine but my solicitor did clarify this when i asked that student has to stick to all the restrictions until their visa category changes.
I do sincerely wish you good luck and i hope you get your good news soon.

For everyone else here I will still be checking this forum for a while and if anyone wants to ask any q or advise I would love to help.

Until then good luck everyone and I am sure I wont be applying for my indefinite by post in 2 years time :)
Congratulations waitwaitwait, really happy to hear your news. Our docs were returned today, BRP on its way.....

Hope you both enjoy that well-deserved break to Rome :D

ken2mj
Newly Registered

Post by ken2mj » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Another June applicant here.

Hopefully there's light at the end of this tunnel...

peaceonearth
Newly Registered

Post by peaceonearth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 am

Thanks to all the people posting information here -- it has been a huge comfort during the wait. I can't say mine is long, it's 4 and a half months till this morning. Best wishes to everyone still waiting, all success!

02/06/12 Documents posted (Saturday afternoon, Diamond Jubilee weekend)
07/06/12 Documents arrived UKBA
18/06/12 Acknowledgement Letter dated/ credit card charged
01/08/12 Letter sent inquiring about not receiving Biometrics enrolment letter
01/08/12 Biometrics letter dated
04/08/12 Biometrics letter received/enrolled
23/10/12 Documents returned with a letter confirmed BRP will arrive within 7 days
PSW Visa to FLR(M) unmarried partner