ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to USA

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

braveheart
Newly Registered

Moving to USA

Post by braveheart » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:21 pm

:?: Hello to everyone!

I am a newbie here and someone gave me this very informative site, and im glad to be part of you here. I am a filipino and married to a british man. Few weeks from now were going to apply for my 2 yr extension visa which is the FLR(m) in person so gauranteed i will have my visa in that day. I don't know if my query is been ask before but let me start.

Me and my hubby are planning to move in new york. My sister's husband will help to find a job for him as well our accomodation to live. My is questions are:

1. How to start this process, by applying permanent residency to US?
2. The thing we worried also is, i only hold 2 yr extension visa (FLR M ) . Do i have to wait till i apply the ILR? Till when am i qualified?
3. Does it takes alot of process to get permanent residency to US?

I really don't have any idea bout this, and also i would like to ask bout the B2 visa as i we will visit my sister soon as i have my extension visa. What are the requirements? Can i apply in any US consulate in UK?

I hope this won't be too much for u all. Thanks for reading!

All advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi braveheart,

How can you and your husband be planning to move to New York if he doesn't have a job offer and a visa there? I don't know what your husband's qualifications are, but it's not straightforward to emigrate to the United States.

Since neither of you are US citizens it's most unlikely that you can apply for an immigrant visa. You would have to pretend to be going there as tourists, then your husband would have 90 days to find a prospective employer before having to leave the US. Then the employer would have to apply for a H1B visa (work permit) for your husband. In order to obtain it, he would need to have either a university degree or relevant experience in his field. Once he has a work permit he can apply for permanent residence, but it will take a few years for him to obtain it.

Why would you want ILR if you are planning to move to the US?

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi Braveheart

I would just like to suggest for you wait for your ILR before you decide on moving to another country. You'll never know what will happen and there is no guarantee. If in case, you will not get what you are expecting, then it always be less difficult to go back here in UK.

By the way, I am a Filipino as well..my family and I are also planning to move to the US within this year or next year but we decide not to take any step of immigrating until we get our ILR in the middle of this year.

braveheart
Newly Registered

Post by braveheart » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:44 pm

jbinuk wrote:Hi Braveheart

I would just like to suggest for you wait for your ILR before you decide on moving to another country. You'll never know what will happen and there is no guarantee. If in case, you will not get what you are expecting, then it always be less difficult to go back here in UK.

By the way, I am a Filipino as well..my family and I are also planning to move to the US within this year or next year but we decide not to take any step of immigrating until we get our ILR in the middle of this year.
Hi there!

Yeah i spoke to my brother in-law and he actually asked this things to his lawyer and said that i should get that ILR before we move there so plan has changed, maximum 3 years from now!

Anyways, its nice to meet you here.... have you went to USA before?
Coz were planning for a vacation in middle of this year so just thought to ask if you got B2 Visa as i wanted to know the process, requirements. Do u have any idea?

I did read their website, but just want to know more from you.

Thanks alot :)

Cheers

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:37 pm

Best thing would probably be to wait until you have British citizenship. ILR can be lost and the rules can be changed at any time, even retroactively (as happened last year with the 5 year rule). British citizenship is a lot more difficult to lose...

In order to qualify for a B2 visa you'll have to convince them that you have significant ties to the UK (job, mortgage or rental agreement, etc).

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:32 am

Hi,

I guess that will be the best that you can do.

I've never been to US before so I have no idea about rules governing B2 visas. I have never made any research about US immigration laws so I wont be able to give you some info.

Immig
Newly Registered

Post by Immig » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:48 am

Hai,

Yes, your hubbi can get green card through immidiate family member.But it requires some blood relation documents.

You already have 2 years extension FLM and you can get green card very easily.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:27 pm

Immig wrote:Yes, your hubbi can get green card through immidiate family member.But it requires some blood relation documents.
You have either misunderstood the original post, or know very little indeed about US immigration.
Immig wrote:You already have 2 years extension FLM and you can get green card very easily.
Nonsense. FLR and US permanent residence are two different things altogether.

samoldok
Newly Registered

90 days and H1B

Post by samoldok » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:36 am

Marco 72 wrote:Hi braveheart,

How can you and your husband be planning to move to New York if he doesn't have a job offer and a visa there? I don't know what your husband's qualifications are, but it's not straightforward to emigrate to the United States.

Since neither of you are US citizens it's most unlikely that you can apply for an immigrant visa. You would have to pretend to be going there as tourists, then your husband would have 90 days to find a prospective employer before having to leave the US. Then the employer would have to apply for a H1B visa (work permit) for your husband. In order to obtain it, he would need to have either a university degree or relevant experience in his field. Once he has a work permit he can apply for permanent residence, but it will take a few years for him to obtain it.

Why would you want ILR if you are planning to move to the US?
While traveling to the US on the Visa Waiver Program (max 90 days stay granted at the port of entry) one cannot change or extend her/his status to H1B or other nonimmigrant category.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: 90 days and H1B

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:36 pm

samoldok wrote:While traveling to the US on the Visa Waiver Program (max 90 days stay granted at the port of entry) one cannot change or extend her/his status to H1B or other nonimmigrant category.
Of course not, but you can use your 90 day stay to look for an employer willing to apply for an H1B visa on your behalf. Even if successful, you will have to leave the US by the time the visa waiver expires. This is technically not allowed, since you shouldn't be looking for work on the VWP, but it seems to be quite common (as long as you don't tell US immigration you are going to look for a job).