ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa from Colombia

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cooperman123

Spouse visa from Colombia

Post by cooperman123 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:03 pm

My Colombian wife lives in Palmira near Cali Colombia. We are looking for test centres in that area where she can take the test. I have searched everywhere for a test centre. Does anyone know of any and maybe give me some links to their website. So far I have written to the embassy and the british consulate but neither have even responded.
Thanks a lot

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Visit the websites of the approved test providers and search for center(s) that are convenient for you to attend.

e.g. -
IELTS worldwide search
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

cooperman123

English language requirement for UK spouse visa

Post by cooperman123 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:59 pm

I am a British Citizen and I recently got married to a Colombian National in Colombia. I always understood that my wife must pass the A1 test before we apply for the Uk spouse visa. I already live in the UK. I was born here and we plan to settle in the Uk as soon as possible.
However, the rules exempt spouses or partners of EEA citizens. Sure that includes me?

Does my colombian wife need to pass the A1 test before the visa? Only a friend of hers recently married a British man and they got a visa this year without having to provide any evidence at all. Its all very confusing. I dont want to apply for a visa only to be turned down. Does anyone out there know anything about this or have experiences with visas through Bogota?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:32 am

cooperman123 wrote:I am a British Citizen .I already live in the UK. I was born here.. the rules exempt spouses or partners of EEA citizens. Sure that includes me?
Regulation 2 wrote:“EEA national” means a national of an EEA State;
“EEA State” means—
(a)a member State, other than the United Kingdom;
(b)Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein; or
(c)Switzerland;
cooperman123 wrote:Only a friend of hers recently married a British man and they got a visa this year without having to provide any evidence at all.
A British man working and living in an EEA state?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

cooperman123

uk spouse visa

Post by cooperman123 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Everywhere I read, it says that my spouse needs to pass an A1 english language test. But there are a list of countries where there are no test centres. Colombia is not on the list. But I have tried for 3 or 4 hours to find a UKBA test centre in colombia. its impossible. The list of approved test centres shown on the border agency website is useless. Its out of date, some of the email addresses are now invalid. I dont know even if there are any test centres in Colombia. Is there anyone out there who has applied for a UK spouse visa in colombia for their wife or husband? Did Bogota need a A1 test certificate? It might be they no longer need it? It might be exempt.
Can someone help me please? I have emailed the embassy twice no answer. I have emailed the consular no answer. I have tried to call the embassy on my mobile and it wont work on my mobile. I have no way of actually asking anyone in colombia. Even my wife who is in colombia tried and she couldnt find out. Any assistance please? I really could do with some help from someone who has successfully got a UK spouse visa. THanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Did you check the worldwide link sushdmehta gave you. This gives numerous options in Columbia.
http://www.ielts.org/test_centre_search ... sults.aspx

cooperman123

Post by cooperman123 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks. I can see there are a number of test centres. Unfortunately only the bogota test centres are offering dates. Bogota is 6 hours by bus away from where she lives or a plane flight away which is crazy just to take a 10 minute exam. To be honest the whole thing is completely unreasonable.
I could really do with hearing from anyone who has applied and obtained a Uk spouse visa through Bogota this year to see whether they submitted any english test certificate. I am already aware of one case where nothing was submitted, the spouse knew no english at all but still got the visa! so why is that?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:41 pm

If Colombia were exempt it would be on the list. Given that there are clearly test centres it is not exempt. No one can tell you why your friends wife did not have to take the test. Maybe she applied for a different type of visa or maybe she has a learning difficulty you are unaware of. All you need to know is that the country it not exempt and therefore in your situation your wife needs to take the test.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:58 am

Or maybe the applicant's husband was an EU national (not UK) and they applied under EU/EEA rules....which aren't an option for you.

cooperman123

Post by cooperman123 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It's possible that the applicants husband is an EU national but trying to get my wife to understand and to appreciate the differences is difficult and I guess it's a bit unfair really that she has to take a test and she's trying hard to study English and sees someone with no English get a visa. But rules are unfair sometimes. Currently the biggest problem I have is finding a test centre in Cali close to where she lives and that's a big problem. The only place with test dates is in bogota. That's an hours flight away costing me £120 and an hour back plus time at the airports and then a taxi ride just to sit a 10 minute exam. It just seems all a bit excessive to me. But I am still searching for somewhere more locally for her. I feel sorry that she's going to have to travel a whole day by herself for a 10 minute test.
By the way does anyone know what % is the pass for this a1 exam? Is it a straightforward 50%. I've seen some example videos on YouTube. They look fairly ok but not sure how strict they are with the scoring,
It might make us feel a bit better if we know what our chances are. So anyone with a bit of knowledge and experience in this area can you pass some of your knowledge my way please? Thanks a lot

cooperman123

Post by cooperman123 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:04 pm

And trying to get in contact with the British embassy in bogota is just about impossible. Written 2 emails no reply. Tried ringing their premium rate line $3 a minute on my mobile and it doesn't work.