ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Payment exemption - how does HO check this is true?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kawasaki1

Payment exemption - how does HO check this is true?

Post by kawasaki1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:57 pm

On the form all I have to do is tick exempt on the payment slip and complete the contact details. The guidance notes do not talk about providing any evidence whatsoever.

How does HO know that I indeed do have the nationality of one of the exempt countries?

Thanks.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:04 pm

um, jee

would it have anything to do with the passport you have to send in for entry clearance ?

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:11 pm

Ok clever-clogs, how about in my case where I have dual nationality and will be claiming the exempt status due to one passport (which I never have to show them really) and then getting my FLR in another? Your HSMP approval letter is not linked to a particular passport, i.e. at EC/FLR stage you could use any one of them.

Somehow I don't think they really record somewhere on their system 'this person was exempt back when they did the application, check while getting the EC or FLR this was true'.

Anyhow, it might seem like a silly question, I was just a bit surprised they don't need proof (after all, it is £315 they are missing out on :) ).

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:30 pm

50pounds says they put the stamp in the passport you claim nationality for in the HSMP approval process.
If you suddenly present another nationality passport for EC, i'm sure they'll happily take your money, and send you a nice rejection letter in return.

question is: will they exempt you from payment if you declare both nationalities on HSMP application. prob not unless both are exempt

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:00 am

Hi guys, I claimed the exempt status due to my two nationalities, used one set of documents related to one nationality to claim the exemption and the passport related to the other nationality to have the visa stamped, and that was accepted.

To explain further: I applied for the HSMP from Canada, claiming my Canadian citizenship and attached a proof of Croatian citizenship as well, as Croatians are exempt from paying fees. The HSMP was approved, I did not have to pay any fees, the visa was entered in my Canadian passport (not Croatian) and I moved to the UK with my family. I also got an extension the same way - showing the Croatian citizenship document, claiming exempt status again and not paying any fees. The extension was approved for 4 more years and entered in my Canadian passport.

In essence, they accept two nationalities - one to claim the exempt status and the other one's passport for entering the visa, but you need to show them the proof for both. Obviously, they need the proof for exempt status in the first instance when you submit your application (that has to be the original document, not a photocopy), and then you can use the second nationality's passport in the EC process. When you do the FLR application, then you have to send both at the same time.

Rose

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Thanks rose, that is exactly the situation I am in.

But on the current guidance notes for payment they do not say you need to provide proof of citizenship for exempt status. I.e. it sounds like you applied for HSMP and EC at the same time, but I will only make my FLR application later.

I guess I should not assume that because they did not specify they need proof of citizenship for initial HSMP application that they don't actually need it.

And here I was happily thinking I do not need to send in notarised passport copy....

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:50 pm

Hi kawasaki1,

Yes, they do not say you need to provide proof of citizenship for fee exempt status, probably because it is logical to show the proof of what you are claiming. At least it was for me, and as I didn't want to talk to up my chances of getting the HSMP, I provided even what they didn't write was necessary, and I got the visa.

I haven't applied for the HSMP and the EC at the same time, of course - that is impossible. I applied for the HSMP from Canada in December 2004, submitted my proof of Croatian citizenship for the fee exempt status and all the rest of the documents at the same time. I also claimed in my application that I was both Canadian and Croatian and explained in my cover letter that I was going to use my Canadian passport for the EC purposes later on. My HSMP visa was approved in March 2005, I got the documents back and applied for the EC in May 2005 with my Canadian passport. For that I had to pay as there are no regulations about fee exempt status in the EC process related to my situation or citizenships.

I told you the FLR part of my story just so that you know how the FLR process will work for you in the future with claiming the exempt status with two citizenships and passports.

Good luck with the whole process!

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:10 pm

Thank you very much, very helpful!

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Thank you very much, very helpful!