ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RE:NATURALISATION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

emeks
Newly Registered

RE:NATURALISATION

Post by emeks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:22 pm

greetings every1,
could someone please shed more light for me on completing form AN for naturalisation as regards exercising treaty rights in the UK, the following is my situation,
1) i am a non EU family member of an EEA citizen.
2) i am my my wife are planning a joint application for naturalisation
3) she has permanent residence and I have ILR.

my question/confusion is form AN section 2.4-2.6 is a bit ambiguous,
do we still need to show evidence of treaty rights even though we have permanent residence and ILR?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 pm

If she has has a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (following an EEA3 application) for over a year, the EEA national can skip this section.

Same goes for the ILR holder, If you hold it for more than 1 year.

emeks
Newly Registered

Post by emeks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:54 pm

thanks Jambo for your prompt response.

andrej

Re: RE:NATURALISATION

Post by andrej » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:51 pm

emeks wrote:greetings every1,

3) she has permanent residence and I have ILR.

my question/confusion is form AN section 2.4-2.6 is a bit ambiguous,
do we still need to show evidence of treaty rights even though we have permanent residence and ILR?
I can't get this around my head. Am I right to think that some Non-EEA family members of EEA citizens with permanent residence also do not hold Permanent Residence but ILR in their passports? Why don't they just streamline it and make it simple? How about it HO?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Don't worry. It's a common mistake.

People tend to interchange the two terms as if they are one (just check the ILR forum and you will see many people state they have PR).

For the purpose of the requirement for naturalisation, they are the same thing (free from immigration control).

andrej

Post by andrej » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Jambo wrote:Don't worry. It's a common mistake.

People tend to interchange the two terms as if they are one (just check the ILR forum and you will see many people state they have PR).

For the purpose of the requirement for naturalisation, they are the same thing (free from immigration control).
Thanks... hope the NCS see it the same way/ :D

seputus

Post by seputus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:15 am

andrej wrote:
Jambo wrote:Don't worry. It's a common mistake.

Thanks... hope the NCS see it the same way/ :D
Andrej, I think I remember you from awhile back. :) I'm also about to apply for citizenship and have the same exact concern .. I addressed it to Jambo in an earlier thread. If you've since attended your NCS appointment and been successful I'd like to know. :)

andrej

Post by andrej » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:40 am

seputus wrote:
Andrej, I think I remember you from awhile back. :) I'm also about to apply for citizenship and have the same exact concern .. I addressed it to Jambo in an earlier thread. If you've since attended your NCS appointment and been successful I'd like to know. :)
Heey seputus buddy... I remember you. My NCS app is on the 5 Nov so I am still waiting but will let you know once I go through with it. Jambo has been very, very helpful. Jambo knows his stuff and I wish he was the one checking my docs and form and not some civil servant who never paid enough attention during the quick crash course in Nationality Checks.

seputus

Post by seputus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:49 pm

andrej wrote:
seputus wrote:
Heey seputus buddy... I remember you. My NCS app is on the 5 Nov so I am still waiting but will let you know once I go through with it. Jambo has been very, very helpful. Jambo knows his stuff and I wish he was the one checking my docs and form and not some civil servant who never paid enough attention during the quick crash course in Nationality Checks.
:) Well, I had my appointment today .. Hammersmith had appointments just 2 days in advance, which was great -- and the price was almost half of the other places (£65 for joint, vs £100 at other places) .. There was no problem with treaty rights needing to be proved again (thx Jambo!) - but my EU partner has to supply a letter from his employer tomorrow to completely satisfy the residence section (tenancy agreements not accepted) .. thankfully they're willing to accept a scanned and emailed copy of the letter, so everything will go off to the Home Office tomorrow.

Now ~3 months of waiting begins ! (Though he did say that some applications are getting final responses within 6 - 10 weeks!) ..

andrej

Post by andrej » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm

seputus wrote: There was no problem with treaty rights needing to be proved again (thx Jambo!)

Great news for PR holders!!!
seputus wrote: - but my EU partner has to supply a letter from his employer tomorrow to completely satisfy the residence section (tenancy agreements not accepted)
Was this because your EU partner had no entry stamps in the passport? Were they happy with your Non-EEA passport showing stamps as proof of 5 years residence? It is just me applying as my EEA partner is not interested.
seputus wrote:Now ~3 months of waiting begins ! (Though he did say that some applications are getting final responses within 6 - 10 weeks!) ..

I hope you get a nice Christmas surprise!!!

seputus

Post by seputus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Yes - he said that EU passports "aren't a good record of residence because of that" .. but then I told him that mine only had two entry stamps - which themselves weren't "legal" -- but he didn't seem concerned. I got the feeling (esp w/ them accepting a scanned & emailed letter from an employer) that it's not really something they're that strict about somehow . .

I'm guessing they'll get a pretty complete picture of residence when they review our tax contributions ..

So yeah - you should have no problem. The application for naturalisation was definitely a lot less involved, ultimately, than for EEA4 ! :)

Good luck to us both!