ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite leave (UK) if you are on housing benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pakistani
Newly Registered

Indefinite leave (UK) if you are on housing benefit

Post by pakistani » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Hello Friends,

My wife is going to apply for ILR she is here on 2 years spouse visa. But problem is I am working but on low income and get housing benefit. By the way I am a British citizen. Will my HB affect her indefinate leave?

Thank you.

patman1

Post by patman1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Is your housing benefit being paid as a couple? you need to look at your housing benefit letter

woteva25
Newly Registered

Post by woteva25 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 am

patman1 wrote:Is your housing benefit being paid as a couple? you need to look at your housing benefit letter
hi

im a british national and my husband just gt his Ilr, now due to him having a low income i had to claim housing benefit and council benefit as we could not afford to live on £100 a week, when i first applied for housing n council benefit but it got rejected because my husband was not allowed to have public funds, so i got advice from the local citizens advice burea and she told me to re apply for housinf and council benefit and i did that stating that i am not able to pay my rent and council, therefore the council accepted my application and now make monthly payments to me and not my husband for rent and council but they do not give me full rent, as i still have to use my husband wage to pay for the rent.

so will this affect his indefinate after 2 year?

please can someone help me asap as i am confused?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 am

You've said your husband has 'just got his ILR' and then ask if this will affect his ILR after 2 years...which is confusing.
If your husband has already been granted ILR he is no longer under immigration control and will now have access to benefits (Public funds).

woteva25
Newly Registered

Post by woteva25 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Casa wrote:You've said your husband has 'just got his ILR' and then ask if this will affect his ILR after 2 years...which is confusing.
If your husband has already been granted ILR he is no longer under immigration control and will now have access to benefits (Public funds).
my husband got his spouse/partner visa for 2 years on 22 october 2012, so i claimed housing and council benefit due to us having a low income before he got his 2 year visa. but i have been advised to not receive any benefits. im a british citizen and have no job, i am not entitled to receive jobseekers allowance so therefore claimed housing and council benefit will this affect my husband when he applies after 2 years?
hope that is not confusing for you

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 am

Did you declare your husband's immigration status when you applied for HB and Council Tax benefit? Why was the Job Seekers claim refused?
I was confused as you said your husband had 'just got ILR'. He has a 2 year limited leave spouse visa.

woteva25
Newly Registered

Post by woteva25 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Casa wrote:Did you declare your husband's immigration status when you applied for HB and Council Tax benefit? Why was the Job Seekers claim refused?
I was confused as you said your husband had 'just got ILR'. He has a 2 year limited leave spouse visa.
Yes I did, when i first applied for hb & cb it was refused on the grounds that my husband was not entitled to public funds, but when i went to the local citizen advice burea they told me to re apply for hb and cb, i told the advisor that the first hb and cb was rejected due to my husband not allowed to have public funds , she said i have every right to claim hb & cb as i am British. so i reapplied for hb & cb stating that i have a low income and also at the time i applied for hb &cb i had only an appeal letter/letter of determination in UK which i gave to the local council.
they are fully aware that my husband has no right to public funds.

The job seekers claim was refused due to the fact that me and my husband had not made enough ni contributions. I appealed it but they also said the same that I had not made enough ni contributions