ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Baboosh80
Newly Registered

Post by Baboosh80 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:36 pm

...gh
Last edited by Baboosh80 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Hi,

Regrettably, your law degree (if equivalent to the UK LLB) would not qualify to be classed as a Phd so it appears that you would not qualify for the HSMP visa.

Other than a work permit, you may wish to look into the student visa option which would enable you to work part time during term time and full time during vacations.

Of course you would need to find a suitable course to undertake in the UK and you also need to check whether you can switch into this visa from yiour existing visa.

You may also wish to explore the TWES route to see whether you qualify under that scheme.

Hope the above is of some help.

Mafia

Post by Mafia » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:36 pm

I am not sure coming to United Kingdom on a Business Visitor Permit would work.

Have a look at this link:
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... itors.html

In summary, you can come as an entertainer for trials or auditions or for personal appearances which do not involve performances but I wouldn't imagine this would help you to further your career. In addition, the permit is, as far as I am aware, only valid for six months and you plan to leave the UK at the end of this period. You also must not plan to base yourself in the United Kingdom.

Our host's website lists various scenario where this may be relevant: http://www.workpermit.com/uk/entertainers.htm

I think you will need to consider a full work permit or other routes.

The Mafia ... :twisted:
Providing alternative opinions ... for better decisions.

Mafia

Post by Mafia » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Smit wrote:You may also wish to explore the TWES route to see whether you qualify under that scheme.
I have just double checked. As suspected, Work Permits (UK) do not issue TWES for the sports and entertainment sectors.

You could however go on the TWES on the basis of training for a professional qualification or to gain work experience. I don't know enough about the legal profession to comment but is there are possibility of you training to become a solicitor or a barrister in the UK or gain further experience on the basis of you existing qualification?

Have a look at the following http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary for possible other options under the entertainers route.

Good Luck!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Texas Attorney/Producer seeks WP while currently in UK.

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:23 am

Baboosh80 wrote: Here are my stats:
• 27 yr. old male
• Bachelor of Science in Communication (Radio-Television-Film) from The University of Texas at Austin
• Doctorate of Jurisprudence from South Texas College of Law in Houston
• Admitted to the Texas Bar, July 2006

I do not qualify for the HSMP as the earning capacity qualification leaves me 5 points short (my producer fee was quite low). Unless a law degree qualifies as a PhD and garners 50 points, I cannot come in under the HSMP.
Do you mean you have a Juris Doctor (JD) degree? It's probably not equivalent to more than an LLB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juris_Doctor

Baboosh80
Newly Registered

Post by Baboosh80 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:57 am

agh.
Last edited by Baboosh80 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:47 pm

Any possibility of a committed relationship with anyone here in the UK at the moment? Love trumps all, as they say. Well, perhaps enough to get a spousal/civil partners visa.

Mafia

Re: Texas Attorney/Producer seeks WP while currently in UK

Post by Mafia » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 pm

Baboosh80 wrote:Your TWES suggestion is intriguing. I looked into the exams to become a solicitor, which would make me a much more attractive sell in the job market. I may still consider this option although it would require me to spend money as opposed to making any.
You do not necessarily have to spend more money by going down the TWES route for professional education. You will be also be earning a salary as you are working for them.

Your employer should be sponsoring all or a substantial part of your training costs although the precise arrangement would, of course, be a matter discussion at the interview stage.