ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Easiest EU country to move to with non-EU wife? Please help!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Solitaire1982
Newly Registered

Easiest EU country to move to with non-EU wife? Please help!

Post by Solitaire1982 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:16 am

Hi all,

I really hope someone knowledgeable may be able to offer some friendly advice to me, please!

I'm a British citizen and find myself in the situation of needing to find a new country to live in since the UK government's unjust new immigration laws kicked in. Last month I got married to a non-EU national for all the right reasons, after living with her in the USA for 3 months. We are deeply in love and it was a huge wrench to come back to the UK without her. Sadly the changes in UK law that appeared with little fanfare during my absence now mean she will not be able to join me in the UK unless I suddenly find a much better-paying job (not happening) and work at it for 6 months, then jump through all sorts of other hoops. I am frankly sick of the UK and its xenophobic government.

My wife is in the US currently and has no desire to return to her own country, but I cannot join her in the US, so we need to find an acceptable 3rd party country to start our new life together in. We are desperate not to remain separated for too long.

Neither of us is independently wealthy, though my parents are willing to help me out as much as they can. We will not have a steady income stream that would still be flowing if and when we both relocated; we'd need to find jobs ASAP. On the other hand, we do have fairly decent academic qualifications; she has an MA in Education and I have a BA in English Literature. Our first thought was to explore the possibility of teaching English somewhere like Spain, or even in Central or Eastern Europe (possibly the Czech Republic).

I know that most European countries are fairly easy for me to travel around and all should be governed by the EU treaties on freedom of movement, but different countries seem to be doing their own things to limit those rights (look at the UK for a perfect example). I have even read that Spain has introduced new laws in July stating EU migrants must be able to prove they have the means to support themselves (though I could find no details as to what that really entails).

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions, I look forward to hearing what people have to say!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:06 am

You can move with your wife to any EU country other than the UK (as you are British) under the terms of directive 2004/38/EC.

All the EU countries implement this directive, some better than others perhaps, but they all do at the end of the day. Basically, if you are a worker, self-sufficient person or a student, you can live in any other EU country and your wife can be with you. What you've read about Spain is in reality them applying the directive to the letter, previously they had more generous provisions.

madhumesh
India

Post by madhumesh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:07 am

It's really sad, British citizen have fewer rights than their EU counterpart now. However you should raise your voice. Below is one of link how to do that

http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/blog/2 ... e-affected

Solitaire1982
Newly Registered

Post by Solitaire1982 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm finding it hard to see what qualifies as 'self-sufficient person' - what is enough to prove I will not be a burden on whatever state I arrive in in the EU? Would a big chunk of money in the bank help?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:23 pm

A self-sufficient person is one who does not require state assistance in order to live. There is no fixed amount. Living standards depend on what country you pick and there can be regional differences.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Your best bet is to move to a country where you and/or your wife can easily work. Germany is doing decently economically. Spain is not. The Netherlands is more English speaking that others.

Also note that you do not need to pick fully now. You can move to Germany and make a good go of it. And if you instead get a job in the Netherlands, then both of you move on the next train there.

madhumesh
India

Post by madhumesh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I just came across something called "Surinder Singh route" search on google you may find more information.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:48 pm

madhumesh wrote:I just came across something called "Surinder Singh route" search on google you may find more information.
This only becomes relevant after the EU citizen has already worked in a different EU member state from that of their citizenship.

tina79

Post by tina79 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Hı Solitare.

we are in the same situation with my husband. At the moment im in Turkey with him but thinking to move next year to another EU country. I lived and worked in UK over 8 years. Im from another EU country.....

Re Gemany....i have friends there and they have advised me that it is no easy if you do not speak German. You must find an US company who would need workers so your wife will be getting a job easier. Also she said when you are there there is lots of paper work that nees to be done to be register yourself over there....we were thinking about Germany but we need to get our german a bit better. However Austria is open for everyone and special Vienna....we think to go there in the future...

Good luck with your move and sorry to hear about your problems....it seems UK now beginning to realise how many forigners are coming every day and asking for settlement visa.....