ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Route for Vietnamese Wife

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Franko

EEA Route for Vietnamese Wife

Post by Franko » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 am

I'm a British citizen with a Vietnamese wife, my wife currently resides in Vietnam and I reside and work in the UK. If I were to get a job in the Republic of Ireland can I use the EEA route to take my wife there to live with me or must she have residence in an EU country already to use this right?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:59 am

The former. In fact she is required to live there with you to make use of Surinder Singh. There is no requirement for her to live in the EU before moving to Ireland.

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Jimbo thanks for your response, so you mean she is required to live with me in Ireland right? Is it ok that untill now we have never lived together? And how do I get her into Ireland? Do I need to apply for a permit first? Or can I just turn up there with her with the necessary evidence and gain entry?

Thanks

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi Franko,

Yes Mate, you can.

Much the same as me in reverse, i hold an Irish Passport, but live and work in London. I was able to use this to bring my Asian Wife over, well, she's arriving end of November with me, all Visa stuff already acquired.

And as Jambo says, you can then use the SS route to enable you and your wife to gain access too, and live in the UK from the ROL if you so desire.

Go for it and good luck!

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:23 pm

Franko wrote:Hi Jimbo thanks for your response, so you mean she is required to live with me in Ireland right? Is it ok that untill now we have never lived together? And how do I get her into Ireland? Do I need to apply for a permit first? Or can I just turn up there with her with the necessary evidence and gain entry?

Thanks
I think you might need to be working in the ROI first Franko, though not 100% sure.
Last edited by Salem on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Franko

Post by Franko » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi Salem thanks for the reply, you say visa already sorted? What visa you needed to apply for? And to who?

Thanks

Salem
- thin ice -

Post by Salem » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Franko wrote:Hi Salem thanks for the reply, you say visa already sorted? What visa you needed to apply for? And to who?

Thanks
Family Permit Franko, though i think that's just a UK thing.

Not really sure what the ROI require, though i'm sure you'll get the answer here.

But you definately can do it, then stay in the ROI, or move to the UK after living and working in the ROI for some time. That's if you want to move to the UK from the ROI of course.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Franko wrote:she is required to live with me in Ireland right?
yes.
Is it ok that untill now we have never lived together?
it's OK.
And how do I get her into Ireland? Do I need to apply for a permit first? Or can I just turn up there with her with the necessary evidence and gain entry?
Being Vietnamese I presume she needs a visa to travel to Ireland. I'm not familiar with Ireland immigration but I suggest you ask in the dedicated Ireland forum for more details about the visa.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:09 pm

You just need a simple Irish entry visa. Must be issued free of charge.

Franko

Post by Franko » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You just need a simple Irish entry visa. Must be issued free of charge.
Hi thanks for the info, do you know where we need to apply for this? would my wife have to apply at the Irish embassy in vietnam or do we need to apply in ireland? I have checked the Irish embassy website in Vietnam and it does not mantion anything about this.

Thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Just apply at the local Irish embassy.

It is worth looking through the material at http://eumovement.wordpress.com/eu-coun ... o-ireland/