ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do time spent on student visa count towards citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lsofia
Newly Registered

Do time spent on student visa count towards citizenship?

Post by lsofia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:02 am

Hello all,
I wonder if someone can help me with this question.

I've been living in the UK for 4 years now. I came on a student visa on 08/2008 then I extended my student visa for another year on 06/2009.
I got married to a British citizen and got 2 year spouse visa on 03/2010.
I've got ILR recently (I applied on march but it took long time as I made the application by post).
I would like to know if I can apply for citizenship now or I have to wait until march next year, as part of the 3 years I was on student visa.
I'll be waiting for your response :) Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:16 am

Yes, you may apply now.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

lsofia
Newly Registered

Post by lsofia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks for your quick response sushdmehta. I will ring the NCS in waltham forest as hubby and I don't want to spend long time again without our passports.

Myb

Post by Myb » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Omg thats exactly my situation as im applying for ILR in few weeks time and wasnt sure if the one year i spent on a student visa counts towards my three years lawfull residency
Thank you for answering and clearifying it for us
The only issue i will have is finding a referee because im planing on applying once i finish the 3 years period and i lived one year in one place then moved to a different place and i dont have contact with the people i knew at the start of the three years
Do i have to keep contact with those people or as long as they knew me at the start of the three year thats enough ?
Thank you

ITGraduate
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Naturalisation - am I eligible

Post by ITGraduate » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 pm

I came to uk as a student in 2004. switched to hsmp in august 2007 and got ilr august 2012.

I am not married to a British spouse. I have read the guidelines and I believe I cannot apply for Naturalisation until August 2013.

My mate applied for Naturalisation and he was successful and he was on a similar case as me. I called the HO and I was told I can apply. ( she told me some strange clause )

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here by creating rumours but could the experts confirm if that can be true.

I then called dmdigital tv to ask one of the solicitors and he confirmed too. Eventhough I believe its not possible, I wanted to double check, Please help

Sincerely!!!

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Naturalisation - am I eligible

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 pm

To the best of my knowledge, one has to be free from immigration restrictions (i.e. have ILR or PR) for one year, which means in your case indeed August 2013. I have never heard of any clause to circumvent that requirement and would be very interested to hear more of it.

ITGraduate
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ITGraduate » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:01 pm

once again thanks for your clarification.

Its unlikely to be true but like you mentioned very interested to find out of thats possible.

It will help a lot of people here in this forum.

lets wait to hear from experts!! They may have known about such incidents ib the past!!

Cheers

daniel147
Newly Registered

Re: Do time spent on student visa count towards citizenship?

Post by daniel147 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:53 pm

Hello People, just a quick question, i came to uk in 2009 on student visa, i got married and acquired my spouse visa in 2012 and last month i received my ILR, can i apply straight away to naturalise as a british citizen or do i need to wait. I will appreciate a answer please.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:27 pm

daniel147 wrote:Hello People, just a quick question, i came to uk in 2009 on student visa, i got married and acquired my spouse visa in 2012 and last month i received my ILR, can i apply straight away to naturalise as a british citizen or do i need to wait. I will appreciate a answer please.

Thanks
3 years residence with any legal stay/visa counts if applying for naturalisation as spouse of British Citizen, so if you have 3 years legal stay and ILR, you can apply straight away for citizinship. LIUK and English Level B1 or a UK degree.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

daniel147
Newly Registered

Post by daniel147 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:40 pm

oh nice to know, in total have stayed here for 4yrs 8months which includes while i was on student visa which was still in date before i got my spouse 2 yrs visa and last month my ILR, so to clarify on monday i can just fill the form and send it off if i want yea?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes, as long as you meet all the standard requirements in terms of english, absences etc.

Apply using NCS at your local council as then you get to keep your original documents and passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.