ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport application after Oath ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

srm
Newly Registered

passport application after Oath ceremony

Post by srm » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi All,

I needed advice on how much time I can wait before applying for my passport after I have attended the Oath ceremony.

In my case my ceremoany is scheduled for 21st Nov and I am out of country from 29Nov-30Dec. So wanted to check whether I have to apply for my passport in some stipulated time such as 21 days.

I couldn't get this info from anywhere and would be great if you can help me

Thanks
Shyam

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: passport application after Oath ceremony

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Application for citizenship and application for a British passport are two completely different and independent things. One can become a British citizen and live happily ever after without ever applying for a British passport. Or one could apply for a passport the very second the ceremony ends. During the ceremony you will normally get the paperwork you need for applying for a passport, but when you do that is up to you.

srm
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by srm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for the quick response

Thanks
Shyam

zee313

Post by zee313 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 am

Am i able to apply for my british passport after my naturalization ceremony but still travel on my old passport whilst my application is being processed?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Only if your foreign passport remains valid after acquiring British citizenship. This would depend on the laws of the country of current citizenship.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!