ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General - Early extension - need clarification

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

happycamper19

Tier 1 General - Early extension - need clarification

Post by happycamper19 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Dear All,

My UK Tier General Visa expires in Jan 2013. I recently lost my job and would like to apply for extension in Jan 2012, (11 months earlier).

Can someone knowledgeable please clarify whether:
1. UKBA will consider such early application
2. UKBA will not try to reject my application because I have applied so early (assuming all my docs are fine and I have enough points)?

The reason I am asking here is that different immigration lawyers telling me different answers - some say yes I can apply early while others say UKBA will reject my application. There is no consensus among them.

Applying in Jan 2012 will allow me to use the earnings from my previous employment and give me more time to focus on job search in 2013. Having to do another extension before ILR down the road is a non-issue for me.

Any informed advice will be greatly appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Yes, you can apply at any time.

sreblog

Re: Tier 1 General - Early extension - need clarification

Post by sreblog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:16 pm

You can apply for Jan 2012, but if you manage to get back into job by then may be you can delay your application based on the new earning figures you get ,so that you still have enough earning capacity at the time of application in later dates.

IG Associates
Newly Registered

Post by IG Associates » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes, you can apply whenever you like. I have personally done many early extension applications and UKBA have never ever refused to treat early application. The only question which nobody is sure about is whether you will get post dated extension or not.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:28 pm

IG Associates wrote:The only question which nobody is sure about is whether you will get post dated extension or not.
If you are referring to the possibility of the unexpired leave being aggregated into the new grant to complete a five year period of residence, then the answer is no. Leave to remain is granted for exact periods of three or two years and applying earlier than one month before existing leave expires will create a gap that will need to be bridged with an other application.

ankitv

Post by ankitv » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am

Well, even though the policy says that HO will only extend the leave when a decision is made, my wife recently applied for her Tier 1 extension and she got her visa stamped from Dec 2011 (her visa expiry date). We applied for an extension on 4th oct, 2011.

But in principle, consider that HO will provide extension when they make a decision and not by original date of expiry

madhumesh
India

Post by madhumesh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Sometimes back, I called HO call centre, the person suggested that case worker has discretion in giving the second extension, and he can give it for any duration( not necessarily 2 or 3 years). The immigration rules are contrary to this statement and clearly states that visa should be granted for 2 or 3 years based on the rules under which last leave was granted if applicants meets all the requirements.

I don't get from where CW got this special discretion for second extension? Can they refuse provided all the documents are in order just because someone is applying early? If true, could anyone point to relevant rules as I can't find one.

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 pm

I recently had a PEO appointment and the case worker decided to extend my visa so that the duration was just enough to cover off the 5 year period until i became eligible for ILR. After arguing with her for half and hour and being threatened with a visa refusal she finally called in her manager/supervisor who then confirmed that the rule was 2 years extension (in my case) and I have finally received my BRP today with visa extended for 2 years.

Its a pain how each case worker seems to think they can make up their own rules. My suggestion to anyone going in for a second extension is to take a copy of the paragraph in immigration rules that says how long the extension should be for.

madhumesh
India

Post by madhumesh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks for sharing,

Can you please also tell us which PEO you went, just to see if it's PEO or caseworker specific issue? recently a person on this forum has been given one year visa at Croydon and too threatened with refusal for not accepting it.

I was wondering can caseworker refuse in situation like this assuming candidate meets all the requirement and what reason would be given in refusal letter does they have any legal standing on this?

Regards
hsmp1412 wrote:I recently had a PEO appointment and the case worker decided to extend my visa so that the duration was just enough to cover off the 5 year period until i became eligible for ILR. After arguing with her for half and hour and being threatened with a visa refusal she finally called in her manager/supervisor who then confirmed that the rule was 2 years extension (in my case) and I have finally received my BRP today with visa extended for 2 years.

Its a pain how each case worker seems to think they can make up their own rules. My suggestion to anyone going in for a second extension is to take a copy of the paragraph in immigration rules that says how long the extension should be for.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:27 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Sushdmehta. Yes it was Croydon.

I don't think they can really refuse a visa on these grounds. They would def lose if the decision was challenged as it is not in their written rules.

However, to save oneself from all the grief, the easiest thing to do in my opinion is to take a print out of the relevant rules from the website and show it to the case worker if he/she refuses to grant a visa for the whole duration.

neeraj-hsmp
Newly Registered

Early Extension

Post by neeraj-hsmp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Dear Friends,

I am in UK for more than 4 yrs - on WK, Tier 2 and shifted to Tier 1 in from Last year. My Tier 1 is coming for extension in June 2013 but i m thinking of applying in Dec 2012. Can anyone tell me if i will get the visa for next 3 yrs or for the duration it makes me eligible for ILR ( which is less than 10- months).

Appreciate the response.
Rgds
Neeraj

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:35 pm

If your previous grant of leave was as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the rules in place before the 06 April 2010, you will be granted a period of leave for two years. Otherwise, you will get three years.