ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse name must on rental agreement?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hsmphsmp

Spouse name must on rental agreement?

Post by hsmphsmp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 pm

I came to UK in 2008 and rented a house (1BHK) and my wife joined me couple of months later. When the rental agreement was signed, I had only my name on it. When my wife later arrived, I didn't bother to add her in the agreement as I thought it was not necessary.

Now I am applying for my PR, I wanted to get a letter from my letting agent that my wife is living in the house for past 4 & 1/2 years (as proof of cohabitation), they said the rental agreement needs to be checked on the permitted occupants other than the tenant. When I checked the agreement, the permitted occupants section is blank. I am bit worried if letting agent will raise this is as an issue and charge me for it? What is the legal right of my wife when the agreement is made on only on my name. I know it may be a stupid thing to ask, but the way the letting agent questioned made me worried. Can I challenge them if they raise it as an issue and charge me?

Is it must to have both of our names on rental agreement? They charge some 200£ just to do background check before including somebody name on the agreement.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Why not wait it out until it's up for renewal?
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

hsmphsmp

Post by hsmphsmp » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:02 pm

It is already running on rolling agreement with 2 months notice on either side, so it won't be renewed. I can end it and start a new one.