ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COA timings

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rakushka
Newly Registered

COA timings

Post by rakushka » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Dear all!

Does anybody from their own experience know, how much time does it take for HO to issue Certificate of Approval for Marriage? They told me it's 14-16 weeks, which is unacceptable, but in reality, is it that long?

Also, I read somewhere on this forum that they have lifted 3 months validity period for this COA, is that true?

After 2 years on spouse visa, will I be able to apply straight away for naturalization or I'll have to wait 1 more year? (I'm in the UK since Oct 2000 on student visa, and from 2005 on HSMP). Will these 6 years count somehow?

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Lika

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:30 pm

How long for CoA? Last time anyone posted that information on this Board it was about 2 months delay.
I read somewhere on this forum that they have lifted 3 months validity period for this COA, is that true?
No, it must still be used within 3 months, but that is not saying that the marriage needs to take place within 3 months ... merely that the Notice of Intention to Marry needs to be given at a designated Register Office within the 3 month validity. After that the Notice is posted publicly for 15 days, and after that the needed permission to marry is issued ... valid for 12 months! But of course any marriage needs to happen during the validity of the visa, so that the application can be made for the 2-year spouse visa prior to the expiry of the old visa.
After 2 years on spouse visa, will I be able to apply straight away for naturalization or I'll have to wait 1 more year?
That depends upon whether you will be married to a British Citizen or not. The fact that you are talking in terms of a 2-year spouse visa could indicate that either your intended is British, or is not British but has ILR. Please clarify. The nationality of your intended spouse?
John

rakushka
Newly Registered

Post by rakushka » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:08 pm

After 2 years on spouse visa, will I be able to apply straight away for naturalization or I'll have to wait 1 more year?
That depends upon whether you will be married to a British Citizen or not. The fact that you are talking in terms of a 2-year spouse visa could indicate that either your intended is British, or if not British but has ILR. Please clarify. The nationality of your intended spouse?

Yes, he is British.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:27 pm

In that case, based upon the facts you have posted, you will be entitled to apply for Naturalisation as British as soon as you have your ILR ..... as long as you were physically present in the UK 3 years earlier.
John

rakushka
Newly Registered

Post by rakushka » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:00 pm

Thank you very much, John!!!