ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Teban
Newly Registered

Naturalisation application

Post by Teban » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi all,

I will be submitting my BC application soon, but I need my passport for Xmas this year. Will I get it back by then? or is it better to apply next year after I have used it?

Thanks

psb

Post by psb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:35 pm

If you read most of the comments here, you will notice that you can submit your application at a post office and you keep your original documents.
Last edited by psb on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 pm

psb wrote:If you read most of the comments here, you will notice that you can submit your application at a post office and you keep your original documents.
I think you mean the NCS. Post offices won't help at all with that.

@Teban: If you get an appointment with your local NCS (or any other NCS, for that matter), you pay between £50 and £80 and can keep your passport. For your money you will also get a check of your form and documents. If you don't use an NCS, it is extremely unlikely that you will have your passport back by Christmas (expect 3 months processing time).
Last edited by Gyfrinachgar on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teban
Newly Registered

Post by Teban » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:
psb wrote:If you read most of the comments here, you will notice that you can submit your application at a post office and you keep your original documents.
I think you mean the NCS. Post offices won't help at all with that.

@Teban: If you get an appointment with your local NCS (or any other NCS, for that matter), you pay between £50 and £80 and can keep your passport. For your money you will also get a check of your form and documents. If you don't use an NCS, it is extremely unlikely taht you will have your passport back by Christmas.
Thanks that's excellent news, I have to go back to see my family for xmas for 3 weeks and I wouldn't like to postpone the application

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:32 am

Teban wrote:Thanks that's excellent news, I have to go back to see my family for xmas for 3 weeks and I wouldn't like to postpone the application
Sure, then NCS is indeed your best option. Don't put it off too long, though. Although they probably have more slots available then, you shouldn't take an appointment directly before Christmas because you must be in the UK on the date of application - which is the day the Home Office (not the NCS) receives the paperwork. The NCS usually recommends that you don't leave the UK for 5 working days after your appointment. That means if you want to be home on Christmas Eve (in 51 days), you should ideally have an appointment before Friday, 14th of December (in 41 days), but definitely no later than Tuesday, 18th December (in 45 days). Since NCS centres in some regions are chronically booked out and have long waiting lists, I would recommend you try to get an appointment in good time. Which means: asap.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Teban wrote:Hi!
I am going to the NCS tomorrow to submit my application. I have a very basic question:

- The payment slip: the fees guide says that the fee comprises of two elements, application and ceremony. With the current fees, does £851 include both elements or do I need to add £80?

Thanks
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Fees leaflet: applications for citizenship and right of abode wrote:The total amount including the ceremony fee is shown on the tariff overleaf

Teban
Newly Registered

Post by Teban » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Fees leaflet: applications for citizenship and right of abode wrote:The total amount including the ceremony fee is shown on the tariff overleaf
Thanks, this is the leaflet I was looking at and there is a naturalisation fee of £851.
I got confused when I saw £80 for ceremony, but I just learned that this is for a person who has a British mother (not my case).

So I have to pay £851

Thanks

Teban
Newly Registered

Post by Teban » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Teban wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:
Thanks, this is the leaflet I was looking at and there is a naturalisation fee of £851.
I got confused when I saw £80 for ceremony, but I just learned that this is for a person who has a British mother (not my case).

So I have to pay £851

Thanks

Another basic question - I want to confirm about the names.

1.5 asks for Surnames and 1.6 for 'other names'. I have a typical 'Spanish' type of name with 2 given names and 2 surnames.

I do want my whole name in the certificate as Given name 1 - Given name 2 - Surname 1 - Surname 2

I am writing my 2 given names in 1.6 and my 2 surnames in 1.5

Is this correct?

Many thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:06 am

Sure, if your surname has two words and your given name also has two words.