ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Examples of Commonwealth UK working holiday visa appearances

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nan
Newly Registered

Examples of Commonwealth UK working holiday visa appearances

Post by Nan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:33 pm

I'm Australian and I've been working in the UK for nearly two years on a working holiday visa. I was granted this before February 12th 2005 - before they changed the rules to only being able to work for one year within the two year visa.

I recently had some trouble at immigration when they claimed that I have worked beyond what I'm entitled to. I don't now know where my letter is granting me my visa, and the writing on mine states 'to work as a working holiday maker, changes to be authorised' whereas my friend's (also australian and who applied a few months after me) says 'to work for 12 months only'

Does the difference prove that mine is valid for two years and not one? or is there a website that shows examples of each?

Any help much appreciated.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:19 pm

If you don't mind me asking, how did immigration find out how long you've been working?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Nan
Newly Registered

Post by Nan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:05 pm

Ah yes.. a long story. Was due to go on a work trip and then about 4 days before i was due to go my bag was stolen with my passport in it. At the Australian embassy I was told that I could only get a temporary passport as I didn't have enough ID for a permanent one and was issued one in time to go on my trip.

Stupidly, I didn't realise that I would need to to get my visa put back in my temporary passport. Equally though even though I'd told the embassy everything- that i was a working holiday maker etcetc going on an urgent work trip no-one even mentioned a visa and that there was a possibility I would have grave difficulty getting back in.

So having arrived in Germany on a truck and having no-one stamp my passport as we crossed the border, it must have seemed like I'd appeared from the sky when I got to London, hence the interrogation. I was stupidly honest that I'd been on a work trip and that my passport had been stolen etc. and then I was asked about my job and told that 'you people' always think that you have two years to work here but only actually have one. He also said that australians have never been able to work for two years and that my employer should never given me a contract of any kind as we are apparently only allowed to do bar work etc! I tried to explain about the law change but he was all 'you're getting back on the next plane to Australia!' by then. So I'm not sure he actually checked. Eventually after consulting with someone else he let me through with two months to get a new visa.

My passport has now been with immigration for over a month in application for Transfer of conditions and i'm just not sure what's going to happen, and I've got nothing other than a photocopy to prove that in my original visa I was allowed to work two years.

mrmike

Post by mrmike » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:22 pm

I can guarantee you 100% that the WHVs issued before some time in 2005 (cant remember the exact date) have no restriction on time spent working, ie, you can work the whole two years no problem.

They changed it back to one year at that stage and also included a photo on the visa itself but that does not efect you (I was on one of the earlier WHV with no restriction so I know)

The ECO has no idea what he is talking about and needs to do some urgent research in to what is a fundamental knowledge area of his job.

Mike

Nan
Newly Registered

Post by Nan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Thanks for this!

We were both right. I got my passport back today with new visa in it- same as I had previously so no trouble there. So yes I think my friend at immigration could surely brush up on some stuff! I shudder to think of the number of people he's caused needless stress and pain...So now it's just getting the work permit to stay beyond the WHV... :?