ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Realistic options after finishing masters

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nipper88

Realistic options after finishing masters

Post by nipper88 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Ok, this constant updating of rules and making it harder and harder to stay in the UK is driving me mad, it's just such a rush! My predicament is for my partner, and I would like to ask once and for all if we have ANY options for her to stay in the UK with me. Here are the facts:

1. She is currently on a tier 4 student visa which expires end of Jan 2013
2. She has completed her Masters degree
3. She is a Turkish citizen
4. I am a UK citizen
5. We have lived together in the UK for 13 months, and in Turkey before that
6. I am studying at the Open University for an undergraduate degree and working part time, earning about £8000 per year
7. We both have savings in the UK of about £5000, but they are current accounts being constantly used and replenished.
8. She is looking for Tier 2 sponsors to find work and stay in the UK, but no luck at all yet

Based on the above, do we really have any options left? Marriage or unmarried partner visa is out of the question as we don't meet the financial requirements, entreprenurial is out too. Can she apply for a tier 4 dependent visa as I am a UK national studying here? Does the OU class as 'being sponsored by a higher education institution of NQF7 or above?'

She has been recommended to try Aviva and similar companies, Nestle too, as they are on the register of sponsors. She is a masters graduate in psychology so human resources seems a good option.

Some guidance wuld be greatly appreciated. It's so frustrating that there is a barrier on every path we try to take.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 pm

No she cannot apply for a tier 4 dependent visa as you are not a tier 4 migrant

bobobo

Re: Realistic options after finishing masters

Post by bobobo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:32 am

dude being an investment banker myself, I would recommend she tries for HR in Inv Banks. Of all the damage the regulators have/are doing we need some help for all of us who are going cuckoo. Her degree might help in getting her in. just a suggestion
nipper88 wrote:Ok, this constant updating of rules and making it harder and harder to stay in the UK is driving me mad, it's just such a rush! My predicament is for my partner, and I would like to ask once and for all if we have ANY options for her to stay in the UK with me. Here are the facts:

1. She is currently on a tier 4 student visa which expires end of Jan 2013
2. She has completed her Masters degree
3. She is a Turkish citizen
4. I am a UK citizen
5. We have lived together in the UK for 13 months, and in Turkey before that
6. I am studying at the Open University for an undergraduate degree and working part time, earning about £8000 per year
7. We both have savings in the UK of about £5000, but they are current accounts being constantly used and replenished.
8. She is looking for Tier 2 sponsors to find work and stay in the UK, but no luck at all yet

Based on the above, do we really have any options left? Marriage or unmarried partner visa is out of the question as we don't meet the financial requirements, entreprenurial is out too. Can she apply for a tier 4 dependent visa as I am a UK national studying here? Does the OU class as 'being sponsored by a higher education institution of NQF7 or above?'

She has been recommended to try Aviva and similar companies, Nestle too, as they are on the register of sponsors. She is a masters graduate in psychology so human resources seems a good option.

Some guidance wuld be greatly appreciated. It's so frustrating that there is a barrier on every path we try to take.

nipper88

Post by nipper88 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Hmm thanks. Well still waiting to hear back from a few companies. One thing, some say they employ not EU people but also say 'work permit required', is a work permit the same as a tier2 visa or are they separate?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

nipper88 wrote:Hmm thanks. Well still waiting to hear back from a few companies. One thing, some say they employ not EU people but also say 'work permit required', is a work permit the same as a tier2 visa or are they separate?
The visa names have changed a bit in the past few years. What they probably mean is simply that she must have existing permission to work in the UK irrespective of what her specific actual visa type is. There are several types of visas a non-EU person may posses to have this 'permission'.

nipper88

Post by nipper88 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
nipper88 wrote:Hmm thanks. Well still waiting to hear back from a few companies. One thing, some say they employ not EU people but also say 'work permit required', is a work permit the same as a tier2 visa or are they separate?
The visa names have changed a bit in the past few years. What they probably mean is simply that she must have existing permission to work in the UK irrespective of what her specific actual visa type is. There are several types of visas a non-EU person may posses to have this 'permission'.
Right thanks. She has a tier 4 but now her studies have finished it means she can work full time then. thanks.

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 am

Does the Student visa give her the right to work FT, I am not sure if this category is like a PSW or a work visa so there may be some issues with some employers.
nipper88 wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:
Right thanks. She has a tier 4 but now her studies have finished it means she can work full time then. thanks.

nipper88

Post by nipper88 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:39 pm

bobobo wrote:Does the Student visa give her the right to work FT, I am not sure if this category is like a PSW or a work visa so there may be some issues with some employers.
nipper88 wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:
Her tier 4 visa says 20 hours per week, but her uni confirmed that once her studies have been completed (which they are) she can work full time under tier 4 rules. A friend of hers in the same position also said this as she was looking for full time work also.

Now, some good news! Nestle have replied amd said they accept international student applications and that they look forward to hearing from her, but they did say this: nestle is only able to consider offering sponsorship to applicants that meet UKBAs requirements under tier 2 (general) of the points based system in relation to graduate level posts if there are not enough suitable candidates who are British nationals, EEA nationals or candidates who have permanent residence in the UK.

So they need to do a RLMT test? But i was under the impression that people applying to switch from tier4 to tier2 are exempt from this. Can you please confirm ASAP??? Cheers.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Continue here.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!