ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Paris Airport transit visa required?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

g4gops
Newly Registered

Post by g4gops » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:18 am

Hi everyone,

I hold an Indian passport and living in the UK for past 2 years on a work permit. I have just booked a flight (heathrow to india) with air france changing in CDG paris.

I am confused by the visa requirements. My Question is do i need to get a Airport transit visa and if so, should it be better if i get a schengen visa instead? Any information on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:35 pm

According to the french embassy website you wouldn't need an airport transit visa if you had indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Since you're on a work permit, you'll require an airport transit visa for France. Since all visas costs the same amount 60euros, it's up to you to decide which type of visa you want to apply for, bearing in mind that if you opt to apply for the tourist schengen visa (c-type), you'll have to make an appointment at the consulate, provide evidence such as hotel bookings, sufficient funds etc...., whereas the airport transit visa you only have to show you airline ticket and visa for onward destination if required and no need to make an appointment(just be at the consulate monday - thursday at 08h30, according to their website).

g4gops
Newly Registered

Post by g4gops » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:04 pm

Thanks flyboy

I did see the website. (http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/art ... rticle=349) but can you tell me what this means..

"You do not require an airport transit visa if you hold a LEAVE TO REMAIN IN THE UNITED KINGDOM FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD or a valid residency permit for one of the European Countries, "

Does it mean that non permanent residents can travel visa free?

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Means just the opposite, that if you don't have indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence in the UK), You'll need to apply for an airport transit visa.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:37 pm

flyboy wrote:Means just the opposite, that if you don't have indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence in the UK), You'll need to apply for an airport transit visa.
Dunno if it's relevant or if it helps but my gf lives in UK on student visa. She's a Russian Citizen and took a flight home via Geneva and she didn't need any visa at all. She's also done the same trip via Prague with no visa issues.

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Russians are not on the list of countries that are mentioned on the website of the french embassy that needs to get an airport transit visa . It's a handful of countries and unfortunately India is on it.

g4gops
Newly Registered

Post by g4gops » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:05 pm

Just came across this handy tool to check for visa requirements for different countries..and it gives up to date information - apparently.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... /index.jsp

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:34 am

May be good to call Air France and ask them.

When I have flown to an non-European destination on Air France (connecting in Paris) there was no passport control (or booth to do it) during my connection - just another security screening before going into the departures area.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:42 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:May be good to call Air France and ask them.

When I have flown to an non-European destination on Air France (connecting in Paris) there was no passport control (or booth to do it) during my connection - just another security screening before going into the departures area.
But you must also consider whether or not you'll be allowed on the plane in the UK by the airline staff - if a transit visa is required and there isn't one in the passenger's passport, boarding may be denied.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Since they are flying with Air France, those are the people who will be doing the UK checkin.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:18 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Since they are flying with Air France, those are the people who will be doing the UK checkin.
Boarding could still be denied if airline staff are confused about the rules.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:50 pm

JAJ wrote:Boarding could still be denied if airline staff are confused about the rules.
Confused airline staff are certainly a problem in some parts of the world.

But Air France is pretty professional and every day they carry a lot of people who live in the UK and do not have French/Schengen visa (go to Heathrow to see the check in line for the 640am to CDG!). They are definitely worth checking with.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:00 pm

They also say...
If you wish an official letter certifying you do not need an airport transit visa, please write to the Visa Section (6a Cromwell Place, London SW7 2EW), enclosing photocopy of the main pages of your passport. Please provide a self-addressed stamped enveloppe for the reply.
You should send a photocopy of the UK visa page as well as the information page.

latansingh

Post by latansingh » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:38 pm

dont worry i know a friend who is a pakistani having a work permit in uk he travels to china via france no problem, u wont require a transit visa if you have a valid temp residence visa(student, work permit).

hmszone
Newly Registered

Post by hmszone » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:00 am

Hello there,

I'm in same state as g4pos. I'm flying to India from Uk via Paris. Do I need a airport transit visa? According to air france with whom I booked the ticket it is not required.

http://www.airfrance.com/double6/IN/inf ... enDocument

But as stated in this topic, france consulate web site say different (may be it is not updated)

I would like to hear from you guys again, espectially from g4pos about the experience of flying to India via Paris.

Thanks,

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:15 pm

National INDIA (IN)
Residence UNITED KINGDOM (GREAT BRITAIN) (GB)
Transit FRANCE (FR) /Destination INDIA (IN)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

FRANCE (FR)

Visa not required provided:
- holding residence permit; and
- continuing by same or connecting aircraft to a third country

without leaving the airport transit area; and
- arriving and departing from/to a non-Schengen country
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... /index.jsp

hmszone
Newly Registered

Is Paris transit visa required

Post by hmszone » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks joesoap101

Just to clarify, residence permit is any kind of visa for stay in UK.

Thanks again.

Newly Registered

Re: Is Paris Airport transit visa required?

Post by 27 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:58 am

g4gops wrote:Hi everyone,

I hold an Indian passport and living in the UK for past 2 years on a work permit. I have just booked a flight (heathrow to india) with air france changing in CDG paris.

I am confused by the visa requirements. My Question is do i need to get a Airport transit visa and if so, should it be better if i get a schengen visa instead? Any information on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hey,
Did you need a transit visa in the end?
I'm in similar circumstances.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:15 pm

Nationals, from the countries listed below, even if the holder of a British residency, but not indefinite, must hold an airport transit visa to transit through the international zone of a French airport:
Afghanistan Ghana Pakistan
Albania Guinea Palestinian refugee travel documents issued by the Egyptian, Lebanese or Syrian Authorities
Angola Haiti Republic Democratic of Congo
Bangladesh India Senegal
Burkina Faso Iraq Sierra Leone
Cameroon Iran Somalia
Cuba Liberia Sri Lanka
Ivory Coast Libya Sudan
Eritrea Mali Syria
Ethiopia Nigeria
Gambia Colombia
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

g4gops
Newly Registered

Post by g4gops » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi,

To be clear, i wrote to the French embassy with a copy of my passport. They replied back that since i had a US visit visa, i do not require an airport transit visa :roll: . I would suggest you write to them before you travel and get a confirmation on paper. However, no one checked/asked for any thing at the airport.

cheers!