ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RC to PR when to apply, Non EEA national

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

c0nfused23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

RC to PR when to apply, Non EEA national

Post by c0nfused23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi all, this is an amazing website. I've been trying to get my head around the whole immigration situation and what the best way forward to citizenship would be. Im a Nigerian national and currently have a residence card as a family member of an EEA national. I am also now married to a UK citizen.

2008 - received residence card as a family member of an EEA national. the EEA national was my mother who was deceased in 2006. the application was joint between my father, myself and my brother. the visa is valid till sept 2013

2011 - married uk citizen

my questions are:
1 - when can I apply for Permanent residence?
2- does it matter that my current visa and passport are still in my maiden name? I've changed most other documents which means I'll be submitting mix of names as evidence.
3- as the initial application was joint, do I have to apply for PR with my father? my brother is also now married and has continued down the spouse route.

As the family member visa took a long time to be granted, I have evidence of living in the UK from 2004 (P60/P45).

I hope this all makes sense.

thanks in advance for any help/information :)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:00 pm

1. Probably since 2009.
2. No.
3. If you have been working since 2006, then you can apply based on your own merit. Otherwise, you might need to count on the activities of your father.

As you are married to a BC, then if you have PR, you can apply for BC now. I suggest you apply for PR Confirmation using EEA4. If granted, and you wish, apply straight after for BC.

c0nfused23
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by c0nfused23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:31 pm

That's great thanks Jambo.

I'm looking at the EEA4 form and have to say I'm struggling a little bit. I understand sections 1-3. It starts to get a little confusing in section 4.
the answer to 4.9 is yes and I'm directed to answer 4.17. My answer would be no (Bearing in mind the person exercising the treaty right is now deceased, are any of those options applicable?)

After that am I right in thinking that I just need to complete section 5? then its just 8 onwards that relates to me.

Sorry for all the questions trying to get my head around it all as I really cant afford to go to a lawyer or anything. BTW do you know if there's a service where your application and supporting evidence can be checked?

thanks again.