ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why the HSMP scheme in first place?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rg1
Member of Standing

Why the HSMP scheme in first place?

Post by rg1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:27 pm

I wonder if HO is so much against non EU immigration, why they have kept the HSMP scheme open???

They are treating HSMP candidates very badly. HO is playing havoc with their lives. Then why not stop this farce altogether??

I think they are not doing that because?

[1] This scheme generates huge amount of money.
[2] They need young labours from developing world as their own population is aging.

The reason, awarding so much points on age, vindicates second point. Remember, after 2 years, the candidate's age will be higher (assuming same criteria remain). Unless somebody is in high paying job/business, his/her chance of FLR after initial 2 years will be remote. This again re-iterates that HO doesn't want that immigrants actually settle in UK. All they want flow of young labours from developing world so that their "benefit" system remains intact!

I wonder, why other EU countries are not doing this? Because many other rich EU countries are facing same problem.

Probably, they wants similar scheme but they wonder what will happen when these migrants will become old themselves and risk more on social welfare. But probably they are decent enough for not luring people with false opportunity and then kicking them back.

So this in turn, against shows Britain's century old colonial strategy. In modern world they can't occupy other countries but they still want young candidates as their Horrible Slavery and Misery Program.

Please state your views.

PS: Canada immigration scheme has recently backfired. They are not getting huge number of immigrants from developing world anymore and people has realized that after all their mother countries are not that bad.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:49 pm

my opinions (though i think most ppl know already from other threads..)

I dont think they are "against" nonEU immigration. All countries have immigration policies. EU is an exception in that these countries share many policies and have responsiblities to each other as members of the EU. I think it is natural that EU countries give priority to EU members (citizens).
By having the HSMP, UK keeps open a backdoor open for those highly skilled ppl outside of EU to come in and help keep the average skills levels up (since anyone from EU can come in regardless of skill).

I think the age points, whilst discriminatory, can also be argued that the UK govt expect people to be "moving up the ladder" in their career path. HSMP people should be taking on higher or more skilled jobs with experience / age. Naturally young people have had less time to be in the workforce, need to start at the bottom so to speak and will be earning less.

I'm not too sure why other EU countries dont have similar schemes or if they even have similar problems. I think the language barrier means potential applicants for other EU countries will be quite limited.

As for Canada, the processing time of the visa seems to be 2 to 4.5 years which would put a lot of people off, especially those who could be continuing good careers somewhere else. It is hard to anticipate the job market in Canada in a few years time, whether it is worth the risk applying etc. At least with HSMP you can get a job offer now and get the visa within a month to go and do the job.

Thats my views

Rich ZA

Post by Rich ZA » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:58 am

From reading the posts over the last couple of weeks it seems that this forum is unfortunately beginning degenerate into two basic factions.

The first claiming the UK government is doing all they can to subjugate and exploit the poor innocent educated masses of the world, and a second group who consider the UK government’s actions to be rational and well considered. Possibly a third group of unheard readers also exists but their voices are being very successfully drowned out.

In my opinion, this forum is a vital tool to assist anyone considering applying for HSMP. One of its greatest assets is the clear and simple manner in which people with questions can learn from the experiences of those members with more experience and avoid the associated pitfalls. However, part of the responsibility the experienced folk who reply to these posts is to ensure that their personal emotions don’t get hooked into every post.

Rather I would suggest we start a sticky thread titled, Pros and Cons of HSMP where everyone can vent frustrations and get into never-ending arguments, but confine these discussions to that specific thread rather than engage in this never-ending sniping that is occurring across so many threads at the moment.

Is there anything to be gained by continually posting comments that are deliberately designed to stir up argument and confrontations? As highly educated members of society who are eligible for HSMP, I would have expected that we could present our various perspectives without relying on emotive and inflammatory language. Sure, you feel frustrated but there is no reason why everyone else has to suffer just because you feel personally persecuted.

The freedom to post whatever we desire comes with a responsibility to use that power appropriately, wisely and for the benefit of the larger group rather than simply to satisfy a personal emotion.

I know my comments will irritate a lot of people, but consider the folk who don’t post but simply want to learn about the HSMP.

otun

Post by otun » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:48 pm

Rich ZA,
of what use is our greatest education if we can not argue constructively on matters that affect career or probably life?

critique is good and even those of us who only read without posting enjoy it even more!

whatever anybody feels, whether good or bad let them air their views by that we move the world higher in term of enriched intellectual capacity.

why die in silence. infact the basic value of democracy which the whole world is dying for is the ability to hear even from the most stupid beigns! i hope you dig ma point?

takia

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:01 pm

Rich Za - you are basically complaining about people complaining.

LondonBlonde

stephadex
Newly Registered

Post by stephadex » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 am

Hi Friends,

I don't think Rich ZA is saying people should not view their opinion, whatever they may be, about all these immigration programme.

All i understand from his post is that, a sticky should be created to accommodate such, and again we should not allow personal emotion to becloud our sense of judgement.

Personally, i will say the frustration is not to be blamed on UK, but on the various government and so called leadership of the developing World.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:19 am

stephadex - strange that you would prefer to defend RichZa and not those who are facing deportation from the rule changes...

They are emotional for a reason. To ask them not to be emotive is a waste of time, and defeats the purpose of this board.

This board is meant to be a support for those in the programme. Yes, even when (and especially when) they are not doing well.

LondonBlonde

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:01 am

i think most people are here to learn about/discuss the topic at hand in an OBJECTiVE manner...which is how this thread started out.

Peoples views will differ, so please stop taking everything personally londonblonde. I am sure there are forums out there dedicated to people who are disadvantaged by HSMP, if that is all you want to hear from/read about.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:19 am

Shockboy - what's not objective about my opinion? I am personally not effected by the new rules. However, I feel great empathy for those who are.

I feel that those who are making more money and are better secured against the new rules should not be annoyed with those who are worse off.

If this is you, then you are not being speaking from an objective perspective. Rather, from your own.

btw - the board would lose most of it's members if complaining about the new rules was an offence. I am fine with it, so maybe it's you who needs another forum.

LondonBlonde

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:34 am

i am speaking about the facts, i.e. being objective

only things annoying me are the conspiracy theories and people (such as yourself) trying to imply people should not post because you dont agree with what they post.
By all means state what is wrong with what someone says and more importantly WHY

this was an objective thread with my and rg1's posts, RichZA was sharing his thoughts to ensure it didnt get out of hand like other threads have - and he has been attacked for it.

so please, post your thoughts on the OP topic and leave it at that

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:45 am

I am sure there are forums out there dedicated to people who are disadvantaged by HSMP, if that is all you want to hear from/read about.
Who was attacked? Didn't you tell me to find another forum?!

LondonBlonde
Last edited by LondonBlonde on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:55 am

yes i did - but did you bother to read the context of that suggestion ?

again i ask - do you have anything to add to this thread/topic?
Last edited by shockboy2000 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 am

shockboy2000 wrote:yes i did - but did you bother to read the context of that suggestion ?

do you have anything to add to this thread?
You go first...

LondonBlonde

shockboy2000
Member of Standing

Post by shockboy2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 am

please read 2nd post then :)

and that was about where the conversation/opinions on topic ended...

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:19 pm

Shockboy - read your post, and agree with all you say. And, you didn't complain about people being emotional as did RichZa.

OK then, prepare yourself for a possible conspiracy theory.

My understanding of the orriginal question - 'why did the HO change the rules so that people many already in the programme are being deported? Wouldn't it have been easier to just end the programme?'

Just my opinion mind you - I think HO wants to convince the brit public (who are on the whole against immigration of any sort) that the skilled migrant programme is very difficult.

Skilled migrant programmes are seen as a progressive government policy (good for public opinion), but at the same time, even skilled immigration has a very negative public association. People who's jobs may be at risk, graduates not able to find work etc.

I would go so far as to suggest that even the protests from our brothers helps to further the immigration minister's reputation as tough on immigrants. For all our efforts to stop retrospective changes, we may very well be bolstering HO public opinion.

If I'm right, and it's all about pleasing the brit public, then we can expect more retrospective changes as this will further the agenda. I'm nearly finished with the programme, but this worries me for those who have years to go. This is you ShockBoy, yes?

LondonBlonde

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:58 pm

I can see that some people don't like to hear anything negative about the retrospective changes by the affected people. I presume these are the people in highly paid jobs who are impatient with the people lesser fortunate then them and consider them worthy for deporting. However, I feel it is very important for people who have not yet entered UK under HSMP to know the reality. I with there was such a board when I had applied in 2003 which would have given me a real picture along with all the risk factors. People should know that a signed letter on the letterhead of Home Office had no validity and can be nullified and voided at any moment. It is natural for people who have been cheated by Home Office to be emotional and should be allowed to express their opinion and those who do not like these posts can just ignore them.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Why is it that people who have a different opinion than the rest have to ignore the posts made by others and not post on this forum?
Rog wrote:It is natural for people who have been cheated by Home Office to be emotional and should be allowed to express their opinion and those who do not like these posts can just ignore them.
The same can be said about the people who feel cheated by home office... If you do not like posts from people with a different opinion than the rest of you, ignore them...

This board is NOT EXCLUSIVELY for people who are effected by the everchanging UK immigration rules, Or is it?

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:15 pm

olisun, if you can see in my previous post that I have not reacted to anyone's post specifically and just made a general comment. Let us not get into individual spats and focus more on HSMP changes and how to approach them.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:51 pm

olisun - it's a matter of empathy for those facing hardship. Even if you don't get why they are upset, it's extremely rude to tell them they are over reacting, or lacking an objective perspective.

LondonBlonde