ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas income for financial requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dthornton
Newly Registered

Overseas income for financial requirement

Post by dthornton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a British citizen working in Taiwan for approximately 16,500 GBP (gross) per year.

If I get a job offer in the UK that has a salary of >= 18,600 GBP, am I able to simply sponsor my wife to come back with me based on only that? Or do I also need to take into account my overseas income?

-AND-

If have to take my overseas income into account, am I allowed to meet the shortfall of the 18,600 GBP salary requirement with savings? E.g.

16,000 GBP + 2.5 X 2,100?

I appreciate any help with the matter or perhaps some information on who I can ask for help?

Thanks!

:shock:

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:16 pm

- Job Offer - I am not sure if that would be acceptable. However if you have a guaranteed Job Offer with a start date and a signed contract. That would be fine.

- Shortfall in your current income - Yes that is correct £16,000 + 2.5 X £2,100 = £21,250. You will need to have this much savings in your account for at least the past six months.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

dthornton
Newly Registered

I think I can answer my own question...

Post by dthornton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi again,

After posting, I came across this paragraph in the policy which I feel is in the wrong place but there we go.

Category A: salaried employment for the last six months

143. In addition, where the sponsor is returning with the applicant to the UK to work, the sponsor must have confirmed salaried employment to return to in the UK (starting within three months of their return). This must have an annual starting salary sufficient to meet the financial requirement applicable to the application, alone or in combination with any or all of the items in the last paragraph.

*The last paragraph includes a statements about savings.

I hope this is what I need! :D

dthornton
Newly Registered

Post by dthornton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Harv,

Thanks for such a speedy reply.

Sorry I meant a guarantee of a job :)

I have checked the application form for the financial requirement section and it asks the following three questions after all information has been entered for Category A:

1. Is the amount earned from salaried employment in the last 6 months able to meet the financial requirement? YES or NO

2. What about the last 12 months? YES or NO

3. What about the job offer you have received in the UK? YES or NO

* I am presuming that as long as one of the answers to these three questions is YES and I provide valid proof, e.g. for my guaranteed job offer then my wife will be granted the visa?

Thanks!

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Yes that seems quite likely.

I would add as much evidence of your current employment as well as the relevance of the new job offer you have in the UK. Showing that your are a skilled worker and been secured a good job in your line of expertise, if you know what I mean.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

beatboy

Post by beatboy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:29 pm

This is also my case as well. Im living abroad (in Ecuador) and after the conversion rate I earn about 16k annually in my job (which is a very good wage in Ecuador and more than enough to support my wife).

I was always led to believe that the job guarantee offer in the UK is a must but also your wages must still be in the 18k plus category and the application would have to combine the two. So what that last paragraph seems to state is that only the job offer alone, with a lot of paperwork to support it is sufficient? Thus, it doesnt make a difference in the visa application at all how much your job pays whilst living abroad?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 pm

beatboy wrote:So what that last paragraph seems to state is that only the job offer alone, with a lot of paperwork to support it is sufficient? Thus, it doesnt make a difference in the visa application at all how much your job pays whilst living abroad?
Unfortunately that is no so.

Imagine a situation were a person living in the UK is applying to sponsor a visa based on a present salary of 10K but has a firm offer of a pay rise to 18,600 beginning immediately. They would still need to have (8.600 x 2.5) + 16,000 to bridge the earnings gap. If you what you are suggesting were true (but it isn't) it would be grossly advantageous to sponsors who are returning to the UK and grossly disadvantageous to sponsors who are already present in the UK.

beatboy

Post by beatboy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:24 pm

I think fairness went out the window a long time ago but that is a good point. I never thought there was an alternative until the opening post.

So my main concern from the angle of applying overseas is one of currency and access to savings. 1) Due to fluctuations in currency rates, how do you calculate your foreign wage into UK pounds? For example, If I earn $20,000 a year do I convert the previous 12 months salary at the end of the 12 months, middle etc...? I can't find any reference to that on the UK visa website. 2) If you have to rely on savings to get to the right income level, do they accept savings in a foreign bank account (since obviously I am still overseas and saved my money there) or would it have to be from a UK bank account?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:59 am

beatboy wrote:I can't find any reference to that on the UK visa website.
Look at the FM specified evidence section of the immigration rules. It's all very clear.

Income or cash savings in a foreign currency will be converted to pounds sterling using the closing spot exchange rate which appears on www.oanda.com* on the date of application.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... ndix-fmse/