ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Obtaining German Citizenship to join military

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

username
Newly Registered

Obtaining German Citizenship to join military

Post by username » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:46 pm

I am an American with close family in Germany who are naturalized German Citizens. I have a 2 year college degree and no criminal convictions. I would like to immigrate to Germany to join the Germany Military. I read that in most cases it takes 8 years to become a naturalized German Citizen, but the German Embassy website also mentioned other cases where it takes less than 8 years. What is the fastest way I can obtain citizenship in Germany? Is there anyway I can obtain it in less than 8 years?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:57 pm

If you do not presently have German citizenship and you want to obtain it, you will have to renounce your US citizenship.

I am not sure about fastest route. Probably it is to move to Germany and live there working and enjoying the place. The good thing is it will give you a chance to reflect on your decision and see how you like being in Germany. (I really enjoy Germany, but it is not for everyone).

username
Newly Registered

Post by username » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:13 pm

yes, I've resolved to renounce my American Citizenship in the event that I am offered German Citizenship. I hear there were ways you could get your Citizenship in less than 8 years, such as in the case of stateless persons or something called "discretionary naturalization." What is discretionary naturalization?

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Do you read German? I'm guessing that you might, so I'd start by looking at this official page from the German government:

http://www.einbuergerung.de/26.htm

Moreover, have a look at this PDF. It answers absolutely any question you might have in considerable detail:

http://www.einbuergerung.de/Einbuergerung_2006_neu.pdf

If you don't read German, you first should learn! But in the meantime, have a look at the official Living in Germany handbook, also published by the government. On the left-hand side bar, click on "politics and law". Then click on "German citizenship", although the section on "Foreigners' rights" may also be of interest. Having a quick look at the section on discretionary naturalisation, it looks like that's a possibility for asylum seekers and spouses of German citizens. But again, I'd refer you back to the brochure, "Wie werde ich Deutsche(r)" linked immediately above for complete info.

Here's the link to the manual:

http://www.handbuch-deutschland.de/book_en.html