ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 2 2nd employment outside main work

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sadol40
Newly Registered

tier 2 2nd employment outside main work

Post by sadol40 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi All,
An idea is in my mind but not sure if it is ok to do it .
Basically I will be switching to Tier 2 general soon and want to run consultancy outside business hours where I work and over the weekends.
Would this be seen as self-employment if i am working for my self outside my main employment, if so would I be allowed?
Many thanks

madhumesh
India

Re: tier 2 2nd employment outside main work

Post by madhumesh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Look here for more info.
If you want to do any other type of paid additional work (known as 'secondary employment'), the work must be with a licensed sponsor. That sponsor must assign a new certificate of sponsorship to you, and you must make a new application to us.
You can do voluntary work in any sector, in addition to your job stated on your certificate of sponsorship. must not be paid for your voluntary work, except for reasonable expenses as outlined in section 44 of the National Minimum Wage Act.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: tier 2 2nd employment outside main work

Post by manci » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 am

sadol40 wrote:Basically I will be switching to Tier 2 general soon and want to run consultancy outside business hours where I work and over the weekends.
Would this be seen as self-employment if i am working for my self outside my main employment, if so would I be allowed?
If you work for yourself that is by definition self-employment.

For the sake of completeness, apart from secondary employment and voluntary work (see the previous post) as a T2 migrant you are also allowed to engage in supplementary employment
Quote from the T2 policy guidance wrote: 201. You do not need to inform us of any supplementary employment, as long as it is:
• in the same profession and at the same professional level as the work for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned;and
• no more than 20 hours per week; and
• outside of the normal working hours for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned.
202. In addition, you must continue to work for your sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship.
However, supplementary employment does not cover self-employment, you would have to be employed by somebody although this person/company would not need to be a licensed sponsor.

sadol40
Newly Registered

Post by sadol40 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:05 pm

that makes perfect sense . i don't want to do secondry employment and can not be self employed thus i guess the only option is to find a weekend suplementry employemnt

Thanks for your help