ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years cap. help pls

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

amilawal

5 years cap. help pls

Post by amilawal » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:25 pm

hello, I am sending this mail on behalf of my friend. His student visa expires in october 2013. he started his master course in 2006. However the university just told him that he has spent his maximum 6 years studying this course. My friend is repeating the final year and does not need to renew his visa because his visa expires in 2013. But the university is saying he has spend his maximum 6 years studying this master degree. Can the uni stop him from repeating this final year although he still has visa left. Thanks

supersix
Newly Registered

Post by supersix » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:08 am

if u have visa university has nothing to do it with .only for new extension in oct 2013 then u will have problem as u in previous extension so .. just tell them i have visa or u will see legal action

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 am

Universities have a limit on the length of time a student can spend studying one course and repeating the same modules. This is a separate issue the limit studying under tier 4/student visas. Masters courses are generally one year, maximum two years, so 6 years to complete the course is excessive.

Would suggest he seeks clarification on whether this is an academic issue or immigration issue.

amilawal

5 years cap

Post by amilawal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:51 am

thank you so much guys. thanks for the reply. that's what we think that the university has nothing to do with the visa. thanks.

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am

It also depends on when his course is due to finish. If the course is due to finish after his visa has expired then the University cannot take your friend.

amilawal

Post by amilawal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:45 pm

quatum 1 .I did nt understand what you wrote. can u elaborate more? thanks

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 am

Basically, the university cannot give you a new CAS because of the time limit. But you can currently study on your visa. However if your visa expires before the end date of the course then you will have to get an extension to be able to finish said course. In such circumstances the university might be reluctant to take people on if they know they won't be finishing the course.

amilawal

Post by amilawal » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:33 pm

quatum 1 , thank u very much. appreciate it.