ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unemployed british citizen sponsoring non EEA wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Curious2012
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

unemployed british citizen sponsoring non EEA wife

Post by Curious2012 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:57 am

I am a British citizen. My wife is a non EEA national currently working in Eastern Europe. She has a valid multiple entry visit visa for the UK which allows her to stay for not longer than 180 days continuously. This worked fine for us so far as we spend time between both places.

I have recently become unemployed. Whilst I am looking for jobs, our main plan is to start our own business in the UK. My wife will leave her current job and we will be living only in the UK.

We have cash savings in excess of GBP120,000 and can demonstrate individual savings above the GBP 62,500 threshold per new immigration rules (2.5 x the new limit).

We are planning to submit her application for a spouse visa with me as the sponsor for two main reasons. 1. There is no 180 day limit on the duration of her stay in the UK and 2. She can work with me in the business we are setting up.

We have never taken any unemployment benefits and nor do we intend to.

Please advise whether being unemployed will cause the application to be rejected or looked upon unfavorably and if there is anything else that we should keep in mind to ensure a smooth processing of the application.

I am planning to submit the application next week but assuming that the authorities will look at in light of the new rules. Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:12 am

where is your wife applying from?

why do you assume that the application will be considered under the new rules when they don't come into forice until 9th July and the application is being submitted before then?

Curious2012
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Curious2012 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am

Greenie wrote:where is your wife applying from?

why do you assume that the application will be considered under the new rules when they don't come into forice until 9th July and the application is being submitted before then?
Assumption was based on new rules becoming effective by the time it went for processing. I am not an expert on immigration and may well be wrong. If that is the case, will there be different /additional requirements? She will be applying from outside the UK through the VFS in her country of residence where she has a work permit. Thanks for your help

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 am

Curious2012
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Curious2012 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks. Very helpful summary.

Is it fair to say then the fact the sponsor (myself) being currently unemployed currently will not negatively affect the outcome of the application for a spouse visa ? We will demonstrate adequate savings and the obvious caveats of no criminality, law abiding citizen, etc

How long are these visas granted for? Your help and super prompt responses much appreciated

crb

Post by crb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 pm

if ur application is received before 9th july...under old rule ...she gets 27mths visa...after completion of that she will become eligible to apply for ILR.....ILR for 1 year later sshe qualifies to Naturalise and become British citizen.........if u delay and appply after 9th...this process will take 6yrs and NOT three.....

....don't forget to show ur employment histroy.......previous earnings......write a letter explaining future intention for income/employment etc.....

just in case u didn't know...ILR means no more immigration issues......

skyepark

Post by skyepark » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:05 am

If you have the money you say you have it should be no problem as you only have to show how you can maintain your wife at approx £106 for a couple per week, and I think you have more then enough for that.

Curious2012
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Curious2012 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks all for your useful advice. Posting this reply rather late. It all worked out quite well eventually. Things did take a while and after ~50 days, it all came through. All your help much appreciated.