ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony overseas?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

arianabp
Newly Registered

Citizenship ceremony overseas?

Post by arianabp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 pm

After many mishaps along the way, my husband finally received word today that his application for British citizenship was approved! I work overseas (in Congo) and he is with me here. As we applied through UK solicitor his ceremony is supposed to take place at our registered Local Authority (Kensington Chelsea), but we want to find out whether he can instead change that to be here in Congo at the Embassy as it he is the main caretaker of our kids while I'm working and the absence would be tough for us.

We are working on a deadline here, as are hoping to travel to Morocco on his (hopeful) new British passport by 28 December (he can not travel to Morocco on his current Kosovo passport!), so trying to find the quickest route to get: (1) citizenship ceremony; (2) passport interview; and both of these without having to spend too much time away from the kids here in Congo.

As alternative question: can he submit passport application (and so get booking for interview as 1st passport) before he has his ceremony? That would save us a lot of time at least.

Any advice gratefully received as I can't find the answer through existing posts

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Are you British? Then ceremony can be transferred abroad. See similar question - Travel due for pregnancy and BC is due - strange senario.

You can't apply for a passort before becoming British (i.e. attending the ceremony). For the procedure for first passort in Congo, check the FCO website. Getting a new passport by end of December is stretching it a bit too much I think.