ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is H1-B the only *main* way to work in the US ?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ahmadka
Newly Registered

Is H1-B the only *main* way to work in the US ?

Post by ahmadka » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:44 am

Hi guys ... I want to know that is getting a H1-B the only main way of entering the US for work purposes ? Because this is what it seems to me ...

I know about the L-1 visa, which you get if you're in a non-US company which transfers you to their US branch ... Although I am currently in such a company, I doubt I'll get transferred anytime soon, as I'm not that high up the food chain .. :/

Hence why I'm asking what other options I have ..

And if it is the case that H1-B is the only route, then I guess I have to get selected by Microsoft ? .. I say this because they're the main guys who get most of the quote in that 65k limit, as far as I know .. :/

--

A little bit about me:

I'm currently in South East Asia, and did my Bachelors in Computer Engineering from one of the top universities here .. I then did my Masters from Georgia Tech in the US via Fulbright Scholarship (again in Computer Engineering), so my academics are quite strong I think ... I'm in the software development industry, and have been working in my country for the past 1.5 years ..

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: Is H1-B the only *main* way to work in the US ?

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Are you aware that there is a special additional H1B quota for people with a US masters degree or higher?

eman01
Newly Registered

Post by eman01 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 am

Green card is also a way for USA.

jagacharaja

Re: Is H1-B the only *main* way to work in the US ?

Post by jagacharaja » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 pm

ahmadka wrote:And if it is the case that H1-B is the only route, then I guess I have to get selected by Microsoft ?
That's a bit extreme! Surely there are other companies in the US who sponsor H1B applications - you just need to find them.

Overall, yes - H1B (and L1 - which you're already aware of) is the only visa-category through which you can work.

In other words, there isn't a Tier 1 equivalent visa in the US.