ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Slowdown in Embedded software jobs ?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bodyguard

Slowdown in Embedded software jobs ?

Post by bodyguard » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi,

I have got HSMP in Dec'06 and am applying for jobs ever since. I have 7 yrs of experience in the field of symbian & embedded systems. I am looking for a permanent job with around 45K GBP salary. But its been 3 weeks of job hunting, and till date, not a single interview has been arranged.

I have not applied for EC yet, as I was thinking that if I could get a job first and then I could apply for EC. I am daily applying to jobs through cwjobs.co.uk, and have also posted my cv in monster.co.uk..

I do get some mails from consultants, some of them say that they have send my application to so and so company, but do not get back any feedback.. Some consultants (employment agencies) say that they could help me only when I am in the UK. And, some consultant say that there is a hiring freeze in some companies.

My queries are:
1. Am I expecting correct salary for my experience?
2. Is the job market in UK slow this year in 2007?
3. What is the typical time for getting a job in the UK?
4. Is my method of job searching correct?

Please help me..
I have started to lose faith in finding any job in the UK, and feel that it was a mistake to apply for HSMP in the first place :cry:

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:19 am

Hi,

I had the same experience..fact is, they dont respond /take interest till you are in UK..Reason is S/W jobs are volatile and client wants to Interview you in 3-4 days..So saying that U r out of Country makes your chances almost nill..(Unless your skill is in high demand and they cannot find any one else)

So if you really want to try seriously, you shd. move to Uk and tell them that u r available immediately..
Hope this helps!!!

Ashish

bodyguard

Post by bodyguard » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:45 am

Hi Ashish,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

But, don't you think, leaving one's job just like that and going to UK is too risky?

What is the typical time frame in one gets a job once there in UK?

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 am

Yes..I know it's too risky...
But i am doing the same...I have left my Bombay job and flying to UK on 26th Jan..

I dont know how much time it takes to get a job..But u shd a resource/money to support u for at least 3-4 months.Then it's all luck buddy..

Ashish

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:08 am

Dude, if you want to avoid risk, come to UK first without leaving your job in India. Spend 1 month or so - if can't get a job, better re-join in your job in India. You can't survive in UK for long without a job. Don't waste your savings in UK.

bodyguard

Post by bodyguard » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 am

Thanks for your advice rg1 !

I think its better to take 1-2 weeks off from current job, try to have the interview fixed in advance, and then come over to uk and give interviews. That appears to be a more secured way of looking for jobs..

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Slowdown in Embedded software jobs ?

Post by pantaiema » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:01 pm

I am not an IT expert but I think you could get 45K only if on contract basis (not permanet). Otherwise you need to look posisiton as a manager (not as an engineer). But in you case is diddficult because you lack of UK experience.

Anyone want to comment are welcome.

Pantaiema

bodyguard wrote:Hi,

I have got HSMP in Dec'06 and am applying for jobs ever since. I have 7 yrs of experience in the field of symbian & embedded systems. I am looking for a permanent job with around 45K GBP salary. But its been 3 weeks of job hunting, and till date, not a single interview has been arranged.

I have not applied for EC yet, as I was thinking that if I could get a job first and then I could apply for EC. I am daily applying to jobs through cwjobs.co.uk, and have also posted my cv in monster.co.uk..

I do get some mails from consultants, some of them say that they have send my application to so and so company, but do not get back any feedback.. Some consultants (employment agencies) say that they could help me only when I am in the UK. And, some consultant say that there is a hiring freeze in some companies.

My queries are:
1. Am I expecting correct salary for my experience?
2. Is the job market in UK slow this year in 2007?
3. What is the typical time for getting a job in the UK?
4. Is my method of job searching correct?

Please help me..
I have started to lose faith in finding any job in the UK, and feel that it was a mistake to apply for HSMP in the first place :cry:

hsmp28122006
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp28122006 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:26 am

Hi All,

I use to apply for 100 jobs a day from India but I do not get ANY response. Working in Cisco, in Embedded Systems/device drivers field with 2+ yrs of exp. Is it not good exp?
How much time does it take to grab a job in UK after you are in?

Thanks!

bodyguard

no job

Post by bodyguard » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:40 am

Hi,

I am applying since last 1 month on cwjobs, and am following up with consultants every 2 days, but still I do not have any interview fixed till date! :(

I have even told the consultants (agencies) that I can come to UK for a week for giving interviews, but still nothing :( They say that the market is slow during this time of the year, and advice that I shud not leave my current job, and should not come to UK without a job.. I have got EC today, so that I can go to UK and give intvs if needed..

Now, the visa time has started and I am still stuck here. When I cannot get any interview fixed up in 1 month, what was the use of wasting so much money and energy on getting the HSMP ? I am totally disheartened..
:(

JavaGuy

Post by JavaGuy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:33 am

hsmp28122006 wrote:Hi All,

I use to apply for 100 jobs a day from India but I do not get ANY response. Working in Cisco, in Embedded Systems/device drivers field with 2+ yrs of exp. Is it not good exp?
How much time does it take to grab a job in UK after you are in?
Thanks!

Even I tried that while I was in India. It is very rare for a recruiter to dial a foreign number. You need to be here in order to:
1. Get calls from recruiters
2. Attend interviews with their clients

Why dont you get an HSMP visa and come over here and hunt for jobs. Or you should find a firm who will take you on board, file a Work Permit, get you to the UK. If you want information on the latter, please contact me on vnm_prn1@yahoo.com

hsmp28122006
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp28122006 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm

bodyguard,

How many days did it take for you to get through EC? When did you apply?

JavaGuy,

We are all talking about HSMP itself, we do have HSMP but no calls :(

bodyguard

Post by bodyguard » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:58 pm

hi!

I filed EC in delhi on monday. I received my passports back with 2 yr visa today. they took only 2 days to grant the visa..

but what's the use of the visa, without any job at hand :(

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi,

as i mentioned in my previous post, you need to be in UK to be considered for a job..

The sight of a "foreign no" puts agency off...and they dont want to deal with that..

So only option is to come to UK and apply...
or u r very lucky and they are not able to find any one then only they will call u..
Hope this helps

Ashish

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:09 pm

Well as i see it , its ofcourse a risk leaving the job in india and going to check for jobs in UK .

You may not find a job with in 2-3 days of comming to UK .

But once there you will surely get a job , if not sooner but later .

As per my experience when i was in UK ,i was easily able ot get interviews and 90% of the interviews turned positive with a offer.

But after comming back to india i have been applying , there is almost nil response .....

So guys those who have the guts to take the risk .... go ahead and take it ...

believe me its worth taking the risk .....

bodyguard

Post by bodyguard » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:42 am

but, i am very much afraid.. it costs a lot of money staying there in london (atleast 30gbp per day).. also, without any job at hand, going to uk looks very frightening to me..

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:08 am

bodyguard wrote:but, i am very much afraid.. it costs a lot of money staying there in london (atleast 30gbp per day).. also, without any job at hand, going to uk looks very frightening to me..
Actually it's a chicken egg situation. Getting a job in UK from India is quite unlikely. Moreover, unless you have someone who will provide you accommodation, 30 GBP per day is way too low to live in London! 50 GBP/day is a reasonable estimate.

hsmp28122006
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp28122006 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:09 am

Suneel, Which technology area and languages do you know?

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:48 am

hsmp28122006 wrote:Suneel, Which technology area and languages do you know?
I am talking of ERP ( SAP ) and testing , the same holds good in embedded systems as well .

Am sorry if i created a more generic opinion . But as i see my other collegues in other technologies .... its not that bad either ,,,,, but ofcourse its not eaiser either :-)

bodyguard

Post by bodyguard » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Hi !

I am planning to go ahead and come to UK for 3-4 weeks. I am trying to get long leave from my office, so that in case nothing materialises, then I can join back my Indian job. Lets see what my manager says..

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 am

sounds good but i dont see it all that feasible ....

let us all know what hapenned ....

All the best dude ....