ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ESOL Skills for Life

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

duende
Newly Registered

ESOL Skills for Life

Post by duende » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:51 am

Hi,

Do you know something about the ESOL Skills for Life English test?
In the Cambridge ESOL web site I read this:

"Skills for Life is the UK's national strategy...The Certificates are designed for adult (16+) speakers whose home language is not English, who are living or trying to settle in the UK. These ESOL learners may include refugees or asylum seekers, migrant workers, people from settled communities, and partners or spouses of people who are settled in this country for a number of years..."

And after that:

"The new Skills for Life Certificates are available from March 2005 to support programmes commencing September 2004."

I find the last quote a little bit confusing. :? How should I get this certificate if I need visa after 1st September if the certificates are available from March? I applied for self-employed visa and I am waiting for the decision letter now but I will probably have to get this certificate before the EC? :roll:

duende
Newly Registered

Chess, Kayalami, ..anybody?

Post by duende » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:12 am

Pls anybody help :) :roll:

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:03 pm

Hi duende

Cambridge is not the only awarding body for esol certificates. You should contact your local adult education centre for information on esol courses which are available tuition free for uk residents.

Here is a list of awarding bodies preparing to offer esol qualifications approved by the QCA:

City and Guilds- www.city-and-guilds.co.uk -02072942800
Edexcel- www.edexcel.org.uk -08702409800
English Speaking Board- www.esbuk.org/content/index.asp -01704501730
National Open College Network- www.nocn.org.uk -01332268080
Open College of the North West- www.ocnw.com -01524845046
Trinity College London- www.trinitycollege.co.uk -02078206100

Alternatively, there is more information on the home office website on "designated persons" who can certify that you have sufficient knowledge of English for the purposes of naturalization.
Hope this helps. :D

duende
Newly Registered

Post by duende » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:13 pm

Thank you very much, guy, for your quick and helpful response!
And good luck to all of you! :wink: