ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit Visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jaffar
- thin ice -

Visit Visa

Post by jaffar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Members

I am holding Indian Passport with Indefinite Leave to remain in UK and my application for UK Citizen was approved recently.I will attend citizenship ceremony on 5th december.

I would like to know do i need visa to travel to dublin on 7th dec as i will have UK Naturalisation certificate.

Jaffar

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 pm

No. You will be a British citizen and, as such, will be entitled to move among the Common Travel Area without a passport.

Possession of proof of your UK nationality is strongly advisable, as you will almost certainly be refused entry to Ireland without it. Your certificate of naturalisation plus a form of photo ID will suffice.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:18 am

Hi Ben

Thank you for your reply.I will carry Original UK Naturalisation certificate and my UK Driving license with me.

Indian government gives indian citizens three months grace period to use the indian passport for travel.

I would be grateful to you if you advice me is it worth checking with irish embassy in london about this.

Regards
Jaffar

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:38 am

Not really, but feel free to do so.

Have a read of Wikipedia's article on the Common Travel Area, as a starting point. In short, British and Irish citizens are entitled to move among the CTA without the need to carry a passport. It is expected, however, to be able to satisfy the authorities, if and when requested, that you are indeed either a British or an Irish citizen. Possession of the two documents you have suggested are absolute proof of your British nationality, so you cannot be refused entry to Ireland.

How do you plan on entering Ireland from Britain? Which airline?

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:46 am

Hi Ben

Thank you for your reply.I am planing to take either british airways or aer lingus.I dont know really.

I need to visit dublin to attend interview there.

is there anything else i should do to be in safe side to prevent refusal to entry to ireland

Jaffar

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:55 am

Not really, both those airlines respect the CTA and the entitlement to travel without a passport within it.

Fáilte go hÉireann!

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:58 am

Hi Ben

Thank you for your reply.

Jaffar

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 am

Hi Ben

Hope you are keeping well.I was checking the aer lingus website and i quote

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.
Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country

I was not born in uk or ireland.I really dont know whether they will allow me or not?

Regards
Jaffar

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 am

They are just trying to cover themselves for people trying to travel who are a citizen of either Ireland or the UK, but were not born there, and do not hold proof of their respective citizenship. Since you will (by way of your original certificate of naturalisation), it won't be an issue. It's nonsensical in any case, since birth in either country does not confer automatic citizenship anyway.

If concerned, check in on-line, print your boarding pass from home, never meet with Aer Lingus check-in staff and avoid the conversation. If you like.

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Ben

Thank you for your reply.I will do as you have adviced me.

I hope irish officials in dublin airport does not refuse me to enter dublin as my main purpose to travel is to attend interview there on 7th dec and i dont have enough time to apply for irish visa as i will reach england next friday and irish embassy london takes 5 to 7 working days to process the application.

Jaffar

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 am

Your entry can't be refused. Legally. Common Travel Area arrangements aside, you'll be an EU national seeking to enter the territory of another Member State in possession of documents to corroborate your identity and nationality (in lieu of a passport).

moro1

Post by moro1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 am

Why don't you play it very safe , fly to Belfast and get the train down . More time consuming but sure after all these years in Ireland nothing surprise me of the Irish immigration ! In all cases give your self time don't travel so close to the interview

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:00 pm

What for? UK nationals are entitled to enter Ireland. Jaffar will be a UK national and he'll be able to prove it.

moro1

Post by moro1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Ben wrote:What for? UK nationals are entitled to enter Ireland. Jaffar will be a UK national and he'll be able to prove it.
I know , but explaining this to some thicks working for the airlines and the immigration staff could be hard

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 pm

There's nothing to explain. It's not like a non-EU national traveling without a visa in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC. This is a straight cut case of a British citizen entering Ireland without a passport. This has been lawful for hundreds of years.

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Ben

Thank you for your reply Ben.You have been so kind.I will do what is best and lets see and i will update you whether i was allowed or not.

Jaffar

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi Moro1

Thank you for your reply.One of my friend who works in belfast also told me about this-travel to dublin from belfast.may be extra time,but it is safe.

I will take Ben's Advice and lets see.

Jaffar

jaffar
- thin ice -

Post by jaffar » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:38 am

Hi Ben

Thank you for your advice.To be on safeside,I traveled to dublin from belfast by train on 7th december and i did not had any issues.

I had Original UK Naturalisation certificate.

Regards
Jaffar