ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NCS.... confused me again about Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sib797
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

NCS.... confused me again about Naturalisation

Post by sib797 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 am

Just rang NCS Manchester to book appointment, they have asked me to bring following documents.( Am applying for Naturalisation on the basis of
-- 5 Years Work Permit + ILR 1 Year)

1. Passport
2. ESOL or LIFE in the UK Test (which i already provided when apply for ILR)
3. Doctor or Dentist's Letter when you came first in the country
4. Employer's Letter
5. Benefit Letters if you a recieving
6. Last year P 60,

As far i know i just need to send my Passport, AN Application form, photographs, information about Life in uk test and fee..

BUT, NCS is not looking to process my application unless i provide asked documents.. can some one advice what shall i do next.... as i need to keep my passport for emergency travel..

Thanks in advance

cricinfo

Re: NCS.... confused me again about Naturalisation

Post by cricinfo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:12 pm

sib797 wrote:Just rang NCS Manchester to book appointment, they have asked me to bring following documents.( Am applying for Naturalisation on the basis of

1. Passport
4. Employer's Letter
6. Last year P 60,

As far i know i just need to send my Passport, AN Application form, photographs, information about Life in uk test and fee..

BUT, NCS is not looking to process my application unless i provide asked documents.. can some one advice what shall i do next.... as i need to keep my passport for emergency travel..

Thanks in advance
No need for all these documents so you can speak with NCS again or try another NCS really. Documents you mentioned are enough to apply for citizenship

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi Sib797

While I do agree with cricinfo, I would strongly recommend that you take your P60s with you.

I recently applied and was approved (6 weeks to process) as spouse of BC 3 years residence and only needed passports, LIUK and marriage certificate, NCS did ask for my latest P60 and included in the pack sent to UKBA. I am always well prepared and had taken them with me 'just in case'.

Thanks

Char

sib797
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sib797 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Is it common practice to ask for P60? i have my latest one but just wondering what if some one hasn't got with you at that time, would they still send the application to UKBA or they will refuse to send it. (i think they shouldn't refuse as its not a compulsory document UKBA looking for)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:04 pm

People should always be prepared and it is always better to take as many documents as you can as you never know what is going to be asked for.

I didn't need it for my category of application and it was asked for. It just proves, at the very least, that you are a registered tax payer and your tax is up to date, which they will check anyway with HMRC, so maybe the P60 simply makes that check easier.

I didn't want to risk NCS not sending my application because I didn't have it as I would have had to pay the NCS fee again. It is better to safe than sorry.

trs2011
- thin ice -

Post by trs2011 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:44 pm

sib797 wrote:Just rang NCS Manchester to book appointment, they have asked me to bring following documents.( Am applying for Naturalisation on the basis of

1. Passport
4. Employer's Letter
6. Last year P 60,

Thanks in advance
Again , these people from NCS giving applicants wrong and confusing information . I sent my application by post and ONLY enclosed my Passport and Life in the UK test certificate and was approved last week , so don't pay too much attention to these people they give you unnecessary conflicting info that is why i didn't use them , its money wasted in my opinion .

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:26 pm

trs2011 wrote: its money wasted in my opinion .
It is not, if you need your passport.

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 pm

NCS 23/11/12
ILR 09/10 (over 2 years)
Sept 11 Left the UK for a bit less than 5 months due to father's cancer.
I have been a resident for a bit over 4 years now.
Attended NCS appointment (confident I met the requirements on the basis of marriage to BC) thou still worried..... However, when I got there, the lady at the NCS tells me I am in trouble since I left in the last 12 months for longer than 90 days and need to wait for the UK to contact me asking for further evidence on my reasons to leave the UK for the specified amount of time.............
However, isn't it the last 12 months of the qualifying period, i.e. during the 3-year-qualifying period?
As I understand it, the last 12 months in my case would not count, as I have had ILR for over 2 years now and the last 12 months were not part of my qualifying period...........????
Am I misunderstanding something here...?
Any similar experiences?

Thank you!
:wink: :? :? :?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 pm

melyssa wrote:NCS 23/11/12
ILR 09/10 (over 2 years)
Attended NCS appointment (confident I met the requirements on the basis of marriage to BC) thou still worried..... However, when I got there, the lady at the NCS tells me I am in trouble since I left in the last 12 months for longer than 90 days and need to wait for the UK to contact me asking for further evidence on my reasons to leave the UK for the specified amount of time.............
However, isn't it the last 12 months of the qualifying period, i.e. during the 3-year-qualifying period?
As I understand it, the last 12 months in my case would not count, as I have had ILR for over 2 years now and the last 12 months were not part of my qualifying period...........????
Any similar experiences?

Thank you!
:wink: :? :? :?
NCS are correct. The qualifying period is the period ending in the actual submission of the application (i.e. the 3/5 years immediately before the application) and not the years you become eligible but didn't actually apply for naturalisation.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 am

[quote="melyssa"]NCS 23/11/12
ILR 09/10 (over 2 years)
Any similar experiences?

Thank you!
:wink: :? :? :?[/quote]

Well, I was away last year from July 2011 to December 2011 which makes just under 6 months due to Mother's Illness. I waited for 9 months before applying to make my absence around 90 days. I went to NCS on 28th September by making my absence just exatactly 90 days and NCS representative showed a bit of reservation on my absence and called the UKBA straightaway to check if I was able to qualify. She confirmed and took my application. I am still waiting for the result though.

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:48 pm

[b]ftse100[/b]

I think we are in a very similar position. This lady also phoned somebody and confirmed that it would be 'compassionate' grounds, but that I needed as much supporting evidence as possible and that I could either wait to gather more evidence, or send the application with a note saying I was gonna send all information available to me when they requested it... so I did that, agreed to the note saying I will send the information when requested... we will see.... I am just so nervous! and putting myself in the worst scenarios, so I don't get too disappointed if they deny it....
:roll:

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:55 pm

Jambo
This has been taken from the UKBA website.
I must really be delirious, not reading properly.... but....

have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and

I have not been out of the country for more than 270 days in the last 4 years and a bit..... and in the last 12 months following ILR.... I read that as the 3rd year, the 12 months following ILR, which I didn't....... I already passed my 3rd year long time ago....? So, I still wonder, am I being naive and not really reading the same meaning because I want to find an excuse?

Thank you!
:shock:[/b]
Last edited by melyssa on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:56 pm

"melyssa"

Could you please tell me when exactly did you arrive back in the UK after 5 months? I meant to say if you have completed 9 months in the UK then I am surprised to know that the NCS representative did not take your application because the rule is pretty clean- 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months. It does not say if those 90 days are at the start or in the end of 12 month period. So, I made my 90 days to be at the start of the 12 month period. I am not sure whether the NCS representative took my case after she was 100% sure about my scenario. Let's see.

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

ftse100

Sorry, I guess I was not very clear...
The lady did take my application after phoning another person.
She confirmed it was on 'compassionate' or 'extenuating' circumstances and they said it was 'discretionary' so they gave me the choice to either gather more info about my dad's illness or to send the form with a note explaining I would send more information when requested, so that way I give time to my family to send me the paperwork and translate it! But she did take the application.... I have not received any confirmation yet about the payment being taken nor a notification from the HO saying they received it..... I suppose it is just early days and they are busy......
I believe I got back to the UK on the 26 or 27 of January 2012.
So, yes, I believe it has been around 93/94 days if so........... Just fingers crossed and really nervous......

:shock:

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm

"melyssa"

It's too early for the payment to be taken I guess. I would wait for another 10 working days before getting worried if the payment is not taken.

The only thing I remember was when the NCS representative made a phone call to the UKBA (according to her), she wrote the person's name on my application form mentioning that she spoke to so and so for the reference.
I am still in a well reasonable time limit of approval because it is just gone past 2 months since I applied. I believe that they disregard that much absence of 93/94 days without using discretion.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:36 pm

melyssa wrote:Jambo
This has been taken from the UKBA website.
I must really be delirious, not reading properly.... but....

have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and

I have not been out of the country for more than 270 days in the last 4 years and a bit..... and in the last 12 months following ILR.... I read that as the 3rd year, the 12 months following ILR, which I didn't....... I already passed my 3rd year long time ago....? So, I still wonder, am I being naive and not really reading the same meaning because I want to find an excuse?

Thank you!
:shock:[/b]
Just read the section below the text you quoted
Start of the residential qualifying period

The residential qualifying period will be worked out from the day we receive your application. Most unsuccessful applications fail because the applicant was not present in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the residential qualifying period. You must make sure you meet this requirement before you make your application. For example, if we received your application on 25 November 2005, you would have to show that you were in the United Kingdom on 26 November 2002.

This is how the three year (known as the residential qualifying period) is calculated.

If you left in September and returned after 5 months and applied now (November), that would mean about 120-150 days (instead of 90). Although it would have been better to wait another month or two to reduce the absences, the caseworker might apply discretion in your case. See A link to the guidelines in Q3 in the FAQ. If your family is here and for example you own a house (mortgage is fine), you have good chance of a discretion.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm

melyssa wrote:ftse100

Sorry, I guess I was not very clear...
The lady did take my application after phoning another person.
She confirmed it was on 'compassionate' or 'extenuating' circumstances and they said it was 'discretionary' so they gave me the choice to either gather more info about my dad's illness or to send the form with a note explaining I would send more information when requested, so that way I give time to my family to send me the paperwork and translate it! But she did take the application.... I have not received any confirmation yet about the payment being taken nor a notification from the HO saying they received it..... I suppose it is just early days and they are busy......
I believe I got back to the UK on the 26 or 27 of January 2012.
So, yes, I believe it has been around 93/94 days if so........... Just fingers crossed and really nervous......

:shock:
If this is less than 100 days, I wouldn't worry at all. Discretion is normally applied in such cases.

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Thank you for your reply Jambo....However, I still want to defend my point....! lol (take no notice, it is more than anything to share the experience)
Isn't the qualifying period the first 3 years? I have been in the country for over 4 and a bit, well, take out the 5 months and a bit less than 4 years....

Oh! Look, I don't know know!!! I still want to get away with it, I don't see why it would be soooo difficult to apply discretion!!
My husband went home with me and we came back together, with a little one on the way who is now 5 months. My husband has a house, a mortgage we both contribute to pay, but I assume it is his house, not mine, although he says we are married and therefore it is mine too..... I don't know, I just hope things work out just fine, that's all.....

Thank you!
:P

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

ftse100

Thank you for your reply!

I guess it is too early for the payment to go out, but I am crossing my fingers and toes for everything to come out with a good result....

This lady didn't phone the HO but she phoned a person within the building to double check if it was discretionary on compassionate reasons or something like that.... and this person said yes, although I was gonna need extra documentation and I would probably be asked for it... So, I am waiting for the paperwork to get to me, so I can translate it and send it back straight away when they ask for it....
Who knows, good luck to you with your application and please do let me know about the result!

:D

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:55 pm

melyssa

You are welcome. I will definitely update as soon as I receive something-And best of luck to you too and hope all goes well for your application. :)

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm

[quote="ftse100"]melyssa

You are welcome. I will definitely update as soon as I receive something-And best of luck to you too and hope all goes well for your application. :)[/quote]

I thought ftse100 I will update you.
I was never asked for any paperwork and got approved for my citizenship on Dec 21.2012. I am ecstatic and loving it! Ceremony will take place on the 29.01.13. All the best for you, I just wanted to share the good news! :-)

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Mel,

My heartiest congrats. to you

and My sincere apologies for not updating yourself

My fault..I should have updated you on my progress

Got approved: 22 Nov 2012
Approval received: 30 Nov 2012
Ceremony done: 7 December 2012
Passport Interview: 8 January 2013
Passport received: 10 January 2013

Best of luck with you ceremony and passport process!! you are just very few weeks away to get that new burgundy passport which is so gorgeous :)

melyssa
Newly Registered

Post by melyssa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Ftse100
Congratulations!!!
How many weeks did your new passport take to arrive?
Just curiosity....

:-)

[quote="ftse100"]Mel,

Best of luck with you ceremony and passport process!! you are just very few weeks away to get that new burgundy passport which is so gorgeous :)[/quote]

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm

melyssa wrote:Ftse100
Congratulations!!!
How many weeks did your new passport take to arrive?
Just curiosity....

:-)
ftse100 wrote:Mel,

Best of luck with you ceremony and passport process!! you are just very few weeks away to get that new burgundy passport which is so gorgeous :)
Well, I applied for my passport on 14 December 2012 and it took around 4 days to reach (I don't know why). I received some query from IPS about my address otherwise my passport could have processed before new year. Anyway, from 14 December 2012 to 10 January 2013 makes 4 weeks roughly even with that I am pretty happy and feel lucky. I am sure straightforward application and after the seasonal holiday period will make your process much quicker than mine.

Best of Luck :)

hsmp28122006
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp28122006 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:57 pm

I don't think you even have to take Life in UK test letter with you if you have already provided that information during ILR process. I didn't carry this with me for naturalisation - lady asked me about this letter and I point her to the rules. She then phoned UKBA to confirm, giving my details, and UKBA told her that "yes, he doesn't need to provide this letter again". She wrote a reference to this conversation in my form.

All you need is passport in many cases.