ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS bursary for spouse/partner of british citizen

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

momomo
Newly Registered

NHS bursary for spouse/partner of british citizen

Post by momomo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:54 am

Hi everyone,
Can someone help with this question; Can I be accepted on NHS bursary as a spouse of a british citizen with a child. I dont have ILR yet, my current visa status is residence permit (S/P LR), although I've been living in the uk for more than 3 years and I have already been offered a place for a degree which is to start in january......Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Read the factsheet at the bottom of this page

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3253.aspx

Abate86

Post by Abate86 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Things you need to know.

* You have to be lawfully live in the UK for at least three years.

* You to prove your relationship with your UK national partner (e.g marriage certificate)

* If you can prove the above requirements, then you should be fine.

* Your household income will determine what you will get

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:27 pm

The guidance for which i have provided a link does not suggest that marriage to a British citizen and residence in the UK for 3 years is sufficient, ilr is required. Do you have a link to different information?

Abate86

@Greenie

Post by Abate86 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Not all information are available on that link. (1) The op is a famliy member of a settle person in the UK, therefore he/she doesnt have to be a settle person. (2) If he/she was accepted by the university, why not NHS Bursary? (3) He/she meets the criteria for home/eu student, which means he can get funding for his studies both from NHS Bursary or student finance. Please check category 3 on this link below; http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... e.php#cat1

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:17 pm

The link you have provided is for entitlement to home fees, not student finance. The op would not be entitled to a maintenance grant in this scenario so i am not about entitlement to an nhs bursary. Op i would suggest you contact the advice service at your university for advice on your entitlement.

Abate86

Post by Abate86 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 pm

A UK national are treated as EU national and the OP is a family member of EU/UK national. The only EU student or family member that are not eligible for maintenance grant or NHS Bursary are those who have not spent three years in the UK prior to the date their course is starting. If the OP have lived in the UK as a EU/UK national family member for more than three years, then I cant see any season why he/she cant get NHS Bursary. Please see the links below;

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Docum ... p_v2.1.pdf

momomo
Newly Registered

Post by momomo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks so much guys for your tips and advices...I’d read all the links and contacted the Nhs student bursary service but still they cannot answer the question. All they advise is to submit an application for bursary which will be sent to me at the end of this month and I’ll be assessed based on all the information that will be available to them. Right now I am very positive based on advises/links given by you guys...Thanks so much, I am still very open to more advises with references links (if any). Thanks

Abate86

Post by Abate86 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:11 am

I have made similar enquiry to them before and they did not give me definite answer. But in your case I am 100% sure you will get NHS Bursary, because you meet all the requirement. Once you are accepted by the uni, then I cant see any barrier to NHS Bursary. It is now a question of how much you will get not if you will get anything.

Thandia

Re: NHS bursary for spouse/partner of british citizen

Post by Thandia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:23 pm

momomo wrote:Hi everyone,
Can someone help with this question; Can I be accepted on NHS bursary as a spouse of a british citizen with a child. I dont have ILR yet, my current visa status is residence permit (S/P LR), although I've been living in the uk for more than 3 years and I have already been offered a place for a degree which is to start in january......Thanks

I'm with Greenie on this. The link provided below is very clear that there needs to be no restrictions on your status in the UK ie. ILR. The only exception is those on Refugee Status, those with DLR, HP and EU migrants and their partners/spouses/children. The list of EU countries covered is also listed on the link and obviously the UK is not listed as you're here as the spouse of a UK citizen rather than the spouse of an EU migrant.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Documents/Stud ... 2_0612.pdf

This booklet may also be helpful.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Docum ... 012-13.pdf

bluette
Newly Registered

Post by bluette » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 am

Hi Momomo'

I would be very thankful if you could let me know the outcome of your issue, because I am in the same position at the moment and is very worried. I got through for the university but I am not sure if I'll get the bursary.

Please reply.

Thanks!