ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student visa? which institution does it have to be oxford ?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lisa71
Newly Registered

student visa? which institution does it have to be oxford ?

Post by lisa71 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:29 pm

If i choose to study in uk and apply for a student visa how fussy are they about the 'institution' or university and subject matter i choose ?
I understand the course needs to be classified as full time (ie 20 contact hours per week)
like can i study to be a personal trainer or how to teach english as a second language or herbalism or does it have to be 'medicine at oxford' ???
does it aid or is it relevant to my application if i have someone to sponsor me ?
how long are they usually granted for ?
anyone with experience please assist.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:14 am

There has been quite a bit of a scandal about this over the past couple of years. A number of "schools" have opened for "teaching English" (as one example scam), which allow "students" to obtain a visa.

They then go on to work and not attend, but the "school" gets a kickback to keep up appearances when immigration comes around.

The result is that the government has greatly increased its scrutiny of student visas, paying close attention to what are legitimate schools and checking up on students to make sure they are 1) studying and 2) not working.

Summary for your query is that you do not need to go to Oxford to obtain a student visa. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of 'schools' to check out and obtain your visa. Be aware that immigration is aware of the fraud potential in the system and they are in the process of cracking down.

The Admin

Some articles related to the subject:

Schools used as visa scam front, Exclusive BBC report
Thursday, 29 June 2006

Home Office 'told of visa scam'
Thursday, 29 June 2006

Big rise in student visas raises fear of scams
Last Updated: 1:16am BST 14/06/2006

This article is no longer on-line, but I had it archived for reference:

http://news.lycos.co.uk/uk/060629100541 ... x.xml.html
Home Office under fire over 'visa factory' claims
News provided by AFP [ undated, June 2006 ]

[ photo caption ] Home Secretary John Reid enters the Home Office headquarters in May 2006. The Home Office is under pressure after an undercover BBC investigation found evidence suggesting that some English-language schools are operating as "visa factories" for foreigners.

The Home Office is under pressure after an undercover BBC investigation found evidence suggesting that some English-language schools are operating as "visa factories" for foreigners.

The BBC used secret cameras to film a Russian student at a private language school in London apparently being sold false enrollment papers even though the girl made it clear she had no intention of attending class.

The film showed students paying as much as 350 pounds (636 dollars, 507 euros) for the documents enrolling them at a government-registered school, which would allow them to extend their stay in Britain.

The Association of Colleges said it had been pressing the Home Office for some time to tighten up the rules for inclusion on the register to prevent abuse by bogus language schools, Britain's Press Association reported.

Immigration minister Liam Byrne insisted that checks were being made to identify and remove such establishments from the register.

A quarter of the 1,200 colleges which joined the list following its creation two years ago have previously been identified as false, he said.

The register, operated by the Department for Education and Skills, lists English language schools in the state and private sectors.

Only students applying to registered schools can be awarded visas or, for EU nationals, leave to study.