ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefits queries etc

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Child benefits queries etc

Post by lotstoread » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello All

Myself and my wife have been recently granted ILR and i will be applying for child benefit. Please can any of you experts advise on the following points:

1) will claiming child benefit affect my naturalisation application after a year?
2) i will be sending my sons original birth cert, can i send copies of my brp card as am not comfortable in sending the originals, do i need to send any other docs?
3) also will i be eligible for any other type of benefits considering i have 1 son who is 12 month old and myself & my wifes combined income is approx £33k.

Please any responses will be appreciated. I know all the information is on hmrc's website but if any of you is aware of this things it will help.

Thanks in anticipation of ur replies.

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Post by lotstoread » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Any suggestions pls??

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Post by lotstoread » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Any members care to reply pls??

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:04 pm

1) no effect
2) they require originals as far as i know. If you must send a copy have it certified. They may ask you for the original later. The form tells you what docs to send.
3) your household income is likely to be too high for other benefits. Try the benefits calculator here:

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Post by lotstoread » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Greenie wrote:1) no effect
2) they require originals as far as i know. If you must send a copy have it certified. They may ask you for the original later. The form tells you what docs to send.
3) your household income is likely to be too high for other benefits. Try the benefits calculator here:

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

Thanks for the reply Greenie

Can u please confirm just one last thing?

Both me and wife are on ILR and my son has a indian passport. He was born in uk while i was on tier 1. I am now going to apply for his registration as british citizen (form mn1). Am i still ok to claim for his child benefit?

lizrich002
Newly Registered

Post by lizrich002 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Hello lotstoread,

I recently got my ILR too and have applied for child benefit for my son and the first payment was received last week.

I didn't send original copy of my BRP card, just a photocopy with my son's original birth certficate. To my understanding, it is the birth certificate that must be original and we got it back in less than 7 working days, even before the approval letter.

Liz

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Yes you are fine to apply for his child benefit even though he is not yet British. It is you claiming the benefit not your child.

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Post by lotstoread » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks a ton Liz & Greenie