ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

URGENT HELP PLEASE! Document Return

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thosekids
Newly Registered

URGENT HELP PLEASE! Document Return

Post by thosekids » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi,

My spouse is from the USA and I hold an Italian passport though we live in the UK. After almost 2 years here we sent off his application for a residency card (not the permanent residence just the passport page thing so you don't have to keep applying for the permit when it expires) on October 2nd (tracked -- it arrived the next day) with an accompanying letter and a self addressed envelope stating I, the sponsor, need my passport for work and require its return asap. We sent multiple online return requests from the 4th October. It is now 22nd November no sign of my passport, I've missed 6 days of work where I can't travel or visit high security places and the worst part is calling the UKBA identity and passport services who tell me I should have had my passport back weeks ago! They also say they have no direct line to contact the dept that has my passport. Anyone else had this problem? I have 2 major jobs coming up in the next week where I need to travel!

Please help, going crazy.

thosekids
Newly Registered

Post by thosekids » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Can anyone help? I have today called the Italian embassy who say they cannot help me as they do not issue temporary passports just temporary travel documents to get back to Italy. I even went to the Police station I am at a loss of what to do, where can I draw the line and report my passport as "lost" without it being a criminal offence? Isn't it technically "lost"?

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:58 pm

thosekids wrote:Can anyone help? I have today called the Italian embassy who say they cannot help me as they do not issue temporary passports just temporary travel documents to get back to Italy. I even went to the Police station I am at a loss of what to do, where can I draw the line and report my passport as "lost" without it being a criminal offence? Isn't it technically "lost"?
Hey thosekids,

Have you tried calling 0845 010 5200 - I believe it's the number to call in case of urgent travel.

Good luck, hope it shows up soon!

flipper77
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

thosekids
Newly Registered

Post by thosekids » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi thank you but yes I have :( they are as helpless as me believe it or not... the dept that has my passport seems to be non existent as it cannot even be reached internally? Baffling really!

thosekids
Newly Registered

Post by thosekids » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 pm

Just to update on this situation I ended up reporting my passport as "lost" to to the police today and got a new one printed. I told the police lady I assumed it was lost in the post, when I told her it was with the HO she said that I'm one of many who have reported it lost by the HO as they can't get any response as to where it is!

It cost me a pricey fee for an urgent passport but glad I did it as I would have cost my company way more if I missed another couple days work.

Good luck to anyone trying to get their documents back x

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:03 pm

How long did you wait between the first request for your passports back (other than the initial request included in the application, which does not count I do not think) and claiming that it was lost and getting a replacement?

Also, where do you get an Italian passport replaced? Was it extremely time consuming?

Thanks!

thosekids
Newly Registered

Post by thosekids » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 am

Hi sofia.d.c,

I waited a total of 39 working days after my first email request to the ROD inbox.

I went to the Italian consulate but first had to report it lost to the police to obtain a crime report which is needed to replace lost/stolen passports. I managed to get a new one the same day (about an hour in total spent at the consulate) but I did have a letter from my company stating it was urgently needed for work. Without urgency I think it is done within 2-3 days.

Have you been waiting long for your passport?

Good luck!

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi thosekids,

I haven't actually requested them back at all yet, I'm trying to figure out if this holiday I want to go on is worth the hassle! We're not under any time constraints, as my partner's current visa doesn't expire before the six month threshold, so I figured it would be safe to ask for the passports back after receiving the COA, but your situation sounds like a nightmare!