ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US partner to the UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Luuno
Newly Registered

US partner to the UK

Post by Luuno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:49 am

Hi folks,

Im new on this forum and its been a help already, though
I have a couple of questions, my partner is American and
Obviously we want to be together. I am Dutch myself and have
A 6 months internship in the UK.

I was wondering if my girlfriend is able to stay with me during
This time? She is free to travel in the UK for 6 months because
She is not a visa national.

Can we marry while she is out there on tourist "visa"?
We sadly cant affort a fiancee visa so we were thinking to
Let her in on a marriage visa ( with those she has to get out
Of the country again) get her back in Holland, and then let her
Travel in the UK with a family permit again.

Or can i apply for a family permit like this?

Thanks in Advance

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Re: US partner to the UK

Post by aledeniz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 am

Luuno wrote:We sadly cant affort a fiancee visa
As you are an EU citizen, I don't understand why you would be interested on a fiancée visa. Are you a dual British-Dutch citizen?

Luuno
Newly Registered

Post by Luuno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 am

Oh my bad, that's only for UK citizens?

So my only option would be the family permit?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 pm

How long have you been together? Did you live together for at least 2 years?

For unmarried partners under the EEA route, The UK authorities would expect you to be in durable relationship akin to marriage. They would expect you to have been living together for at least 2 years or/and have other attributes of a married couple such as children or joint finances.

You can also apply for a fiancée visa although this is a paid visa whereas the EEA Family Permit under EEA route is free.

Luuno
Newly Registered

Post by Luuno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 pm

we wouldn't be able to go through the unmarried partners under the EEA route, there for i think the plan is, and let me know if this is alright.

we arent sutiable for the Fiancée visa because i found out at UKBA that these are only for the Britisch citizens, as for i am a EU citizen i persume that the only way is through a family permit.

apply her for a visitor for marriage/cibil partnership visa. go to the UK te get married or get a civil partnership., then go back to holland, apply for a Family permit, which is indeed free of charge.

and then bring her out in the UK again,

would this be possible? or do you think the border agency will think its suspicious? obviously we dont fake our relationship, and we really want to do this.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Jambo wrote:How long have you been together? Did you live together for at least 2 years?

For unmarried partners under the EEA route, The UK authorities would expect you to be in durable relationship akin to marriage. They would expect you to have been living together for at least 2 years or/and have other attributes of a married couple such as children or joint finances.
The OP would be well advised to carefully read your question I think!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Luuno wrote:we arent sutiable for the Fiancée visa because i found out at UKBA that these are only for the Britisch citizens
This is not true.

See EUN2.12 Can fiancé(e)s, and proposed civil partners qualify for an EEA family permit?.

You have other options as well, If you could provide some more background by answering my questions in the previous post.

Luuno
Newly Registered

Post by Luuno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:10 pm

We have a relationship for almost a year long now, my girlfriend is in te US right now and we want her to visit the Netherlands first before we head to England, i have an Unpaid internship from february till june and they offered me a job if i could prove myself within those months, ill get study and intern support from the dutch government which i think counts as income, yet we dont have a big budget and the fee's for the fiancee's visa wouldnt fit in that budget.

Im sorry i didnt respond to your question. What else options would there be?

Regards, luuno

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

I beg to defer with the other guy who advised you not to apply for fiance visa, that is exactly the visa you require. EEA family permit will not be isssued, unless you can prove more, beyond the one year of your relationship, that your relationship is a durable one.

She can come in as a visitor and register a marriage, or apply for a marriage visitor visa, which i believe will be more cheaper.
There is no permission to get married, but these days, UKBA can do anything.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Luuno
Newly Registered

Post by Luuno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Would she be able to go there as visotor and still register a marriage? I thought that was only able through fiance vista or marriage visa, but marriage viaa means she would have to leave the country again, is it possible she can visit as visitor and then register a marriage after that we would be able to apply for a family permit am i right?

Basicly we want to try and be together without being seperate again, like marry in england and stay in england but i wouldnt be able to affort the fiance visa.

Luuno
Newly Registered

Post by Luuno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Im so sorry, i just realised with the marriage visa she is allowed to marry me within the 6 months, that makes more sense to me

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

I think marriage visa makes more sense, provided the cost is cheaper. which i think is the case.

The difference between the two, is that with a fiance visa, your then wife can make an application for leave to remain in-country.

But this is unnecessary with a EEA 2 application, as you are not debarred from applying in country. In fact the right of residence is automatically acquired at the end of the wedding.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Luuno
Newly Registered

Post by Luuno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

That does make sense to me! So what youre saying is we apply her for a marriage visa, once we get married and that is arrange i "lend out" my rights as EU citizen and we can apply for a EEA2 recidence card right?