ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Free health care for my wife????

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bikerboy
Newly Registered

Free health care for my wife????

Post by bikerboy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi, to get to the point my wife joined me here in August 06 on a spouse visa from the Philippines, thanks in no small part to help and information I gained from this forum. We are now expecting a baby due in August this year. We have visited the doctor which cost £25 but of much greater concern, we have been quoted £936 for a normal delivery and £2900 for a c-section birth!!! Meanwhile a distant friend of the family is also expecting a child with his wife from Uganda, who also has a spouse visa. They have not had to pay a penny for healthcare. Also my wife attends a ESOL course and all of her classmates are recieving free healthcare, regardless of their visa position. Can anyone help/ advise us where we are going wrong?

Any help or information will be gratefully recieved.

Jas.

neilroy

Post by neilroy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:58 pm

If u do not mind what is ur immigration status?

British

Post by British » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi bikerboy,

I think whoever quoted you that sum of money to be paid for health care (NHS / GP???) they are cheating you! They are committing a criminal offense here.

People on spouse visa are defenitely eligible for the free health care under NHS.

Think about this: If spouse visa holders (and the other visa holders who are eligible for free health care) have to pay heavily for health care, then why is so much a cry the so called "Immigrants stretching the HNS services" allegation?

Unless you have sought for private health care for your wife, rest assured that your wife is indeed covered by free health care under NHS.

Whoever quoted you that sum for health care, is a criminal.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:50 pm

British wrote: I think whoever quoted you that sum of money to be paid for health care (NHS / GP???) they are cheating you! They are committing a criminal offense here.
It is not very clear if the OP had gone to a private practitioner or the NHS and whether he is registered with the NHS and current visa status

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Bikerboy wrote:my wife joined me here in August 06 on a spouse visa from the Philippines
Shortly after your wife arrived in the UK, armed with her spouse visa, you should have taken her to your NHS surgery and registered her as a patient. You appear not to have done that ... so do it now!

She is fully entitled to utilise the NHS .... and now that she is 2 or 3 months pregnant ... she certainly needs to start using the ante-natal services!

Neilroy has already asked about your UK immigration status. Can you answer that please; then we can talk through the benefits it will be possible to claim after the baby is born.
John

British

Post by British » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:50 pm

Hi John,

I think the OP is a settled person here.

There is no way for a spouse to be issued with a spouse visa, unless the sponsoring spouse is a settled (ILR holder) in UK or a British citizen.

Spouses of WP / HSMP or other time limited categories are only issued a dependant visa, not a spouse visa.

Spouse of a tourist is defenitely not issued a spouse visa either.

So i think the OP is settled in this country or is a citizen or maybe a Irish citizen.

But going through his earlier posts, and especially looking into the info that he has been looking through british-filipino web sites (when he was about to get married to his fiance), and considering his wife is from philipines, i am guessing, for certain, that the OP is a British citizen :-)

JamesC

Public Funds

Post by JamesC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:38 am

Here is a list of public funds your wife is not entitled to whilst on her 2 year visa;

· income-based jobseeker’s allowance

· attendance allowance

· severe disablement allowance

· carer’s allowance

· disability living allowance

· income support

· child tax credit

· working tax credit

· a social fund payment

· child benefit

· housing benefit

· council tax benefit

· state pension credit

· an allocation of local authority housing local authority homelessness assistance.

Hope this helps. I think the NHS work on a good samaritan footing, if your wife was in labour and screaming i'm sure they'd help her and worry about the costs after, rather than check her insurance details as in the USA.

Good luck with the birth,

J

bikerboy
Newly Registered

Post by bikerboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:00 am

Hi guys, thanks for your support. Sorry about the lack of relevant info, I will try to rectify it now.

Firstly, your right I am a UK citizen and always have been. Secondly, we first attended the doctors (NHS) shortly after doing a pregnancy test, we were given a "new patient" form to complete by the receptionist. The receptionist also asked for my wife`s previous GP`s details, at which point I explained she doesn't have one because she only arrived here a few months ago from the Philippines. The receptionist then asked if she is entitled to free health care, to which we replied "we're not sure". The receptionist asked if we have any documentation that states my wife is entitled to free healthcare, which we do not have. The receptionist said that we would have to pay for the consultation, so I paid the £25 to see the doctor. During the consultation the doctor said he would ask the midwife to find out about the free healthcare situation. Within a week we recieved a letter from Good Hope (NHS Hospital), Sutton coldfield which quoted the astronomical charges I mentioned before.
It appears from your responses that my wife is entitled to free NHS healthcare, any suggestions you have for convincing my doctors surgery of this, without any documentation to back it up will be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks for your help & support.

Jason & Belle

bikerboy
Newly Registered

Post by bikerboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:06 am

One more question arising from James C's response. After our child is born and we register the birth, will our baby be a UK citizen and will we be entitled to child benefit?

Thanks again

Jason & Belle

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:48 am

Hi Bikerboy,

Ah, after my previous postings here about my friend with cancer, I've learnt a thing or two about immigration status and NHS charging!

You need to take along your wife's passport with her visa in it. That is the proof that she is legally entitled to be in the UK, and therefore entitled to free healthcare on the NHS. A friend of mine who gave birth last year got a letter stating costs for ante-natal care, as she has an Albanian surname (although she herself is British). I think the NHS are trying to crack down on pregnant women coming to the UK to have free treatment.

If the receptionist tries to tell you otherwise, ask to speak to the practice manager. If that fails, PM me and I'll give you the details of the NHS Overseas Visitors manager, who will no doubt clarify the matter for you.

Good luck!
Clairey

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:30 am

JamesC, I consider your post to be unhelpful, merely listing the benefits listed in para 6 of the Immigration Rules is only part of the story.

And your reference to "I think the NHS work on a good samaritan footing, if your wife was in labour and screaming" is very unhelpful, given that Bikerboy's wife is clearly entitled to use the NHS.

Bikerboy, go to the NHS surgery, with your wife's passport, and register her as an NHS patient. Should they say that she is not entitled to be registered on the NHS, ask for the contact details of the PCT, to whom you will complain!

Right let's now look at the benefits situation. There is an ability to claim Child Benefit, but Bikerboy, it must be you .... and certainly not your wife ... that claims that Child Benefit. As regards Tax Credits, given that such claim must be made jointly by a couple living together, at first glance the "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction on your wife's visa appears to be a problem. However "small print" in the Tax Credits legislation, namely reg 3(2) Tax Credits (Immigration) Regulations 2003 comes to your rescue. That is where the couple consist of one person subject to immigration control ... your wife .... and one person not subject to immigration control ... you ... then for Tax Credits purposes only they are both treated as not being subject to immigration control ... hence a claim for Tax Credits can be made .... no problem. This is reinforced by para 6B of the Immigration Rules.
After our child is born and we register the birth, will our baby be a UK citizen
Yes, given your British Citizenship, your child will be British as soon as born.

Finally Bikerboy, given that your disclosed location is Birmingham, and you mention Good Hope Hospital, which is also the nearest hospital to us, we could well be living in the same area.
John

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:19 pm

It was a pasing comment merely trying to say that if she weren';t entitled in another category, I don't think that the doctors would turn a woman in labour away. They would treat them first and deal with the rest later.

J

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:42 pm

It was a pasing comment merely trying to say that if she weren';t entitled in another category, I don't think that the doctors would turn a woman in labour away. They would treat them first and deal with the rest later.
But James, she is entitled! So why worry the OP by posting what would happen if she was not entitled to use the NHS?
John

bikerboy
Newly Registered

Post by bikerboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Many, many, many thanks to you all guys from my wife and I. I will keep you informed of the outcome when we take my wife's passport to the surgery.

By the way John, we're on Castle Vale incase your wondering lol.

thanks again one and all

Jason & Belle

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Jason, as close as that! We even live in the same electoral ward ... Tyburn Ward of Birmingham City Council. Castle Vale is about 5 minutes drive from here and Sainsburys there is our nearest supermarket!

Given that you are so near, if the NHS surgery does continue to give you grief about registering your wife as an NHS patient, do send me a Private Message and if you like I can arrange to go back to the surgery with you and with sufficient printouts to prove that there is no doubt she is entitled to register, and be treated on the NHS for free.

I have taken an interest in NHS matters for years, and was the last-ever Chair of North Birmingham Community Health Council, until CHCs were abolished by the Government.
John

bikerboy
Newly Registered

Post by bikerboy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:25 am

Hi John

It's a small world isn't it? Lol

Thank you so much for your offer, if we have anymore problems I will certainly take you up on it.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Jason & Belle

MUGHAL
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MUGHAL » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:23 pm

hi, same situation is with me i am here as HSMP VISA uptil 2008 and i got my wife here and she has just reached in London and going to labour and i received a letter from Middlesex hospital to validate my record and my wife's residencial status and i will go to hospital to show them the documents, on the otherhand my friends are saying me that i have to pay to NHS if my wife is going to deliver a baby , anyway i will go to hospital with passport and what will be up- dont know.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:31 pm

MUGHAL, as you have HSMP, you and your family are entitled to use the NHS. Proof of your wife's visa will confirm she is entitled to use the NHS for maternity services.

Bikerboy, is your problem now sorted? Your wife is now registered at your local doctor's surgery?
John

MUGHAL
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MUGHAL » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:38 am

hi,
please as i went to Middlesex hospital to see Overseas visitors Manager and she informed me that we have to pay for NHS because my wife has recently come to this country (nearly 2-3 months back) she also advised me to show any documents that my wife has permanently moved from native country to Uk so i would provide to OVM the same documennts.
i will be back with new developments in this regards. but it looks that they will charge my wife as per my interview with overseas visitor manager in Middlesex hosp.even she was also saying me that i also must pay for NHS as there is writing of no recourse to public funds on passport.anyway best wishes for john specially.

Regards.
mughal.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:58 am

she was also saying me that i also must pay for NHS as there is writing of no recourse to public funds on passport
Totally irrelevant, use of the NHS is not within the definition of Public Funds! Its use is governed by totally different rules.
i went to Middlesex hospital to see Overseas visitors Manager and she informed me that we have to pay for NHS because my wife has recently come to this country
Again the length of time in the UK is irrelevant! As the holder of an HSMP dependant's visa your wife is permitted to use the NHS ... as soon as she arrived in the UK.

Middlesex Hospital? Is that the Central Middlesex Hospital? North Middlesex Hospital? etc .... exactly what hospital are we talking about here? I ask because I think your next step needs to be to contact the Patients' Forum there, at whichever hospital we are talking about.

Mughal, don't even start to think the so-called Overseas Visitor Manager is correct here. Your wife is not a visitor!
John

British

Post by British » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:17 pm

Totally irrelevant, use of the NHS is not within the definition of Public Funds! Its use is governed by totally different rules.
Ha! :-) We (immigrants) all know this, but it is the British public and British establishments who seem to have no clue of their own law of the land! ;-)

mads

Post by mads » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi Mughal
I don't understand how and why you have been given the 3rd degree? i arrived in the uk in 2005 on a spouse visa, fell pregnant straight away and registered with the doctors surgery as a new patient, seen by the doctors and midwife until my baby was due for free. Went to hospital (LGI) and not once did anyone question my passport or status?
I hope you get this sorted as there are nothing worse than not being sure...
mads

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:56 pm

The NHS is tightening up on this, giving that in the past a number of visitors to the UK, who should have paid but "got away with it" in the past. However it would be helpful if the "Overseas Visitors Managers" they put in place were actually properly trained!
John

meggles

Post by meggles » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:12 am

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/ ... chk=fmpJFL

more specifically for those on work permit/hsmp/self-employed and their dependents (spouses, children)

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/ ... chk=r9aFN7

the department of health's own guidelines. i suggest you print them out and show them to the receptionist... or whoever you need to to get the free NHS care you are entitled to.

clairey

Post by clairey » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi Mughal,

You're not the only one who's found that the Overseas Visitors Managers don't know what they're talking about!

If you need it, I have the phone number of the Overseas Visitors Policy & NHS Costs Recovery Manager, who was kind enough to set the Overseas Visitors Manager at Guy's hospital straight for my friend. PM me if you would like it.

Claire