ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

certificate of entitlement (RoA)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

barkhabills
Newly Registered

certificate of entitlement (RoA)

Post by barkhabills » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 pm

I would be very grateful if you could help me with some advice regarding my son’s applications for certificate of entitlement. My son was born in the UK on 24th July 2012. My husband hold settled status (Indefinite Leave to remain) since 2010 and I got ILR on 21st Aug 2012. We got Indian passport for my son as I had to travel to India urgently. We applied for a certificate of entitlement (RoA) at the Mumbai VFS visa centre. To our surprise and disappointment, they have rejected RoA application. The reply states- You applied under section 2(1)(b)(i) immigration act 1971. ''You were not a common wealth citizen and your father was not citizen of UK by birth at the time of birth of the child. I am therefore, not satisfied that you have the right of abode in the United Kingdom.''

However, as per UKBA website and British Nationality Act 1981 CHAPTER 61 part 1 - my son is a British citizen as at the time of his birth one of parents was legally settled in the UK. According to Section 2 of the 1971 Act, as amended by s.39(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 2(1)(a) my son has the right of abode.

I am not sure how to proceed from here. I can appeal against this decision however I would like to know whether I am wrong in my understanding of the rules?
Your guidance will be highly appreciated. Many Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 am

You are correct. Quote the Acts to them as you have done here.
Child is automatically British under 1(1)(b).
He is applying under 2(1)(a), not 2(1)(b).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

barkhabills
Newly Registered

Post by barkhabills » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 am

Thank you very much. I will send my appeal form.

barkhabills
Newly Registered

Success

Post by barkhabills » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Thank you very much Vinny. We got following reply -
'' I am sorry to say that the ECO has incorrectly refused your son's application. Based on the evidence you provided, I am satisifed that your son does qualify for entry clearance. I accept this has caused you inconvenience and anxiety and I apologise for this. I am sure you can appreciate that we deal with a very high volume of applications in this office on a daily basis and unfortunately, it is inevitable that the ECO does get it wrong sometimes however I can reassure you that this is an isolated incident and it does happen rarely. I have spoken to the ECO concerned in this matter to ensure they are fully aware of this situation and to avoid this happening again in future.

I have revoked the decision to refuse the application and we will be contacting you shortly to make arrangements for your son's passport to be submitted to the British High Commission in Mumbai so that we can issue entry clearance. There will be no additional or further fee required from you.''

s_a_n

Post by s_a_n » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:32 am

Vinny,
Could you please let me know the rights of kids not born in UK but father has ILR? Do they qualify for ROA or should they apply for dependant visa from India?

Regards,
s_a_n