ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

** Aussie moving to Dublin - Options? Advice?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ausy
Newly Registered

** Aussie moving to Dublin - Options? Advice?

Post by Ausy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Hello everyone :)

I am a 28 year old Aussie girl and have been married to my Irish husband for 3 years now. We are very happy here in Oz but last month his widowed mother was diagnosed with dementia and is now in desperate need of care.

We are both aware of the poor economic prospect in Ireland at the moment but nonetheless have decided to move to Dublin as he is the only child and I will also be able to lend a hand should his mother require full time family care.

I am wondering what's the best immigration/visa option in a situation like mine?

1. Will I be able to apply for Irish permanent residence immediately from Oz considering we've been married for over 3 years here?

2. I heard if I were to enter as a spouse I will only be granted a visa for a certain period of time and have to extend when it runs out?

Any idea or advice are much appreciated! Many thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by Ausy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zafarzafar80

Post by zafarzafar80 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi Ausy, please read this:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

For more info you can also contact Irish embassy in OZ.

Ausy
Newly Registered

Post by Ausy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:35 pm

zafarzafar80 wrote:Hi Ausy, please read this:

For more info you can also contact Irish embassy in OZ.
Thanks zafarzafar80 :)

I've been on there but it doesn't look particularly relevant to Irish spouses who are currently outside Ireland.

I will call them in Canberra first thing on Monday but until then any interesting tips/experiences would be much appreciated!

:idea:

kiwiwife1

Post by kiwiwife1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi,

there isn't anything you actually can apply for before leaving for Dublin as you are not visa required. I'm a New Zealander (dual irish citizen now!) and was in a similar position. Just had to show up at the border with marriage certificate and said that I was here to stay, based on marriage to an Irish citizen. Then we went down to our local garda station (we are living outside of Dublin) to get a stamp 4, which entitles you to reside and work in Ireland without the need for a work permit.

I was initially given 1 year, then went down to renew when up, and was given 5 years. The GNIB cards are free for spouses of Irish citizens, or at least they were when I was in that situation.

It's a completely different system to that downunder, so I must admit I was confused too......

Hope the move goes well for you

Ausy
Newly Registered

Post by Ausy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:33 am

kiwiwife1 wrote:Hi,

there isn't anything you actually can apply for before leaving for Dublin as you are not visa required. I'm a New Zealander (dual irish citizen now!) and was in a similar position. Just had to show up at the border with marriage certificate and said that I was here to stay, based on marriage to an Irish citizen. Then we went down to our local garda station (we are living outside of Dublin) to get a stamp 4, which entitles you to reside and work in Ireland without the need for a work permit.

I was initially given 1 year, then went down to renew when up, and was given 5 years. The GNIB cards are free for spouses of Irish citizens, or at least they were when I was in that situation.

It's a completely different system to that downunder, so I must admit I was confused too......

Hope the move goes well for you
Hi Kiwiwife1! Thank you for sharing your experience! :)

I am aware of the just turn up and ask for visa at immigration desk option, done that before while travelling. But this time around we are planning a long term move so my concern is if I were to seek full time employment in a permanent position, would employers be reluctant to hire me considering my visa has a time limit attached to it and the termination of my visa would be outside my control?

Is there a possiblity for obtaining long term / premanent visa before or soon after arriving in Ireland? Hubby is in a seasonal trade business so we need a stable income to support ourselves.

Malika

Post by Malika » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:32 pm

I am aware of the just turn up and ask for visa at immigration desk option, done that before while travelling. But this time around we are planning a long term move so my concern is if I were to seek full time employment in a permanent position, would employers be reluctant to hire me considering my visa has a time limit attached to it and the termination of my visa would be outside my control?
You will have no problem at all since you are not required to have a visa while entering Ireland. infact, you don't have to mention anything while crossing the border. you will then need to register with GNIB and be issued with a card (Stamp 4) which affords you the right to work without requiring a work permit.
If you are a non visa required national who has entered the State legally within the last 90 days or if you a visa required national and you are within the period of permission to remain granted to you on arrival in the State (except short stay ‘c’ visas):, or if you have current permission to remain the State on an alternative basis both you and your Irish national spouse/civil partner should attend at your local Garda National Immigration Bureau Registration with the following documentation:
Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
Your original passport
Your Irish spouse’s/civil partner’s original passport
Evidence of your joint address

I don't think you will have any problem with employers. As the poster above has indicated, you might get one that is valid for a year and then renewed for a longer time. As soon as you have 3 years of residency as spouse of an Irish national, you can apply for Naturalisation.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... riage.html
Is there a possiblity for obtaining long term / premanent visa before or soon after arriving in Ireland? Hubby is in a seasonal trade business so we need a stable income to support ourselves.
You need to be in Ireland
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

Ausy
Newly Registered

Post by Ausy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks Malika and everyone for your advice!!

I will call the Irish embassy up tomorrow to confirm.

:)

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:52 pm

You should note that if you have kids any minimum wage job for 20 hours per week will trigger entitlement to Family Income Supplement - a nice bit of money for low income families.

You should also note that if mum in law requires full time care, and if either of you works less than 15 hours per week, there is a payment of 1375 euro per year called the respite care grant that you would probably get.

Also carers allowance, if mum in law is sick enough and you meet habitual residence/means test conditions.
BL