ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language requirement - Wife's ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pravin213
Newly Registered

English Language requirement - Wife's ILR

Post by pravin213 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi,

I am currently on Tier 1 General and my wife and daughter (born in UK) as dependant.

I am intending to apply for ILR in Jan 2013 for all of us. I have two question with regard to my wife's application.

1) My wife has a Masters Degree from India which is recognised in the UK NARIC database. I was wondering if obtaining a compatibility certificate from UK NARIC will be sufficient to demonstrate english language requirement or does she need to go through english language test.

2) My wife is with me in UK as my spouse since Aug 2008 - first as Dependant Spouse on my WP visa and then into Tier 1 General since June 2010 (when i switched my WP visa to Tier 1 visa). There is no break in between any visa. Over the last two years i.e., 2011 she spent 1.5 months and 2.5 months in India on two separate visit and in 2012 she spent 3 months in india in one visit. I am just wondering if these will cause any problem when applying for ILR together in Jan 2013.

Thanks for your help
Regards,
Pravin.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:26 pm

1. Is your wife currently as a T1 dependant?

2.just have her do the LIUK to make life easier.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

pravin213
Newly Registered

Post by pravin213 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks..

Yes..My wife currently has Tier 1 Dependant visa.

She will be appearing for Life in a UK test, but that is apparently separately to english language requirement. If her Indian Masters Degree is considered then she will only have to do Life in a UK test, just as me.

If this will not be possible, she will have to do ESOL with citizenship course.

Jegdis5
Newly Registered

Post by Jegdis5 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:13 pm

I thought only LifeinUk is sufficient to get the ILR for dependant.
There is not need of any other english language.
I am appearing for the ILR next week..

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:29 pm

pravin213 wrote:Thanks..

Yes..My wife currently has Tier 1 Dependant visa.

She will be appearing for Life in a UK test, but that is apparently separately to english language requirement. If her Indian Masters Degree is considered then she will only have to do Life in a UK test, just as me.

If this will not be possible, she will have to do ESOL with citizenship course.
Where is that requirement listed? I may have missed something...

pravin213
Newly Registered

Post by pravin213 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks,

The link below shows rules for partners that they have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the UK, unless they are aged 65 or over when they apply. For more information, see the Knowledge of language and life in the UK section.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... s/#header1

Please do post the result of your application when you apply this week.

pravin213
Newly Registered

Post by pravin213 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Further the link below says that:

- If you are an English speaker (see below) and/or you are currently in the UK as a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass the 'Life in the UK test'.

- If you are not an English speaker and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) which contains citizenship materials.

Now the question is who is an English speaker? The rule says

You qualify as an English speaker if your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry Level 3 or Scottish Intermediate 1. If you do not know the level of your English skills, you should work through the tutorial on the Life in the UK test website. If you cannot fully understand the information in that tutorial, you may need to take an ESOL course containing citizenship materials.

Now, how do my wife demonstrate that she is an English speaker and her english skills are at or above ESOL entry level 3. The only option given above is to appear for ESOL course.

However, the rules for ILR of family members of somebody settelled in UK state that this can be achieved if you have a degree taought in english that is recognised by UKNARIC or by appearing for ESOL test. However, this is not stated in Life in a UK page, so not sure if this can apply.

pravin213
Newly Registered

Post by pravin213 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 pm

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 am

If your dependant got their visa before July 9 2012, and are applying for ILR before October 13, 2013, only LIUK is required. Do not waste your time worrying about who qualifies to be recognised as 'English' speaker.

You are simply digging into something that is not necessary.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:40 pm

LIFE IN THE UK TEST IS NOT DIFFICULT. I STUDIED FOR ONLY 2 WEEKS. yOU COULD STUDY ONLINE. EVEN THOUGH I HAVE 2 UK PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, I DID NOT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE. yOUR wIFE SHOULD FIND IT VERY EASY WITH HER MASTERS DEGREE. WISH YOU ALL THE VERY BEST WITH YOUR ILR.

ameets123
Newly Registered

Post by ameets123 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 pm

English language requirement is not needed if you are applying as Tier 1 General dependent.