ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Using second US passport for travel

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ExpatOregon
Newly Registered

Using second US passport for travel

Post by ExpatOregon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I am a US citizen waiting for my Tier 1 General renewal. I applied 2 Nov with a 1 Dec expiry date. I'm traveling home for the holidays using a second passport (my original is still with UKBA).

Given some of the conflicting things I've seen online, I contacted a solicitor and the immigration office at the airport through which I am traveling.

A solicitor advised me to travel with:
-a copy of the passport submitted to UKBA
-a copy of my original Visa
-the letter from UKBA acknowledging receipt of my renewal application

I also contacted the Immigration office at London Heathrow today (where I fly-in/out of the UK - 020 8745 4700). The officer I spoke with said this should be fine. She did advise that clearance may take more time as they confirm the validity of my documents.

Hopefully this might help others facing the same situation.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm

You have to be very careful that when you return the Officer does not assume you are a US visitor and stamps your passport on that basis. You need to explain the basis of your entry so that the correct entry date stamp can be placed rather than a visit entry clearance that states Leave to Enter for six months - employment prohibited. I'm not the UKBA so I can't say if this plan of yours is viable.

ExpatOregon
Newly Registered

Good tip

Post by ExpatOregon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks, Lucapooka. That's a good tip. I plan to hand them everything (docs and passport and make it /painfully/ clear what I'm doing.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Section 3c leave lapses upon leaving the common travel area and therefore there is a risk of them refusing you re entry despite what you have been told. I recall a similar case where this happened.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm

And further to Greenie's comments, if you leave lapses on departure this makes for a very interesting discussion. If you are refused re-entry under Tier 1 but are admitted as a US visitor, perhaps you would have to leave and re-enter with your Tier 1 leave (if that were later emitted) in order to continue using that Tier 1 leave. I can't see it being permitted to simply cross-over from visitor.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:25 pm

See this thread also. The question you need to ask yourself is whether your trip is worth the risk?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=