ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Level A1 Speaking & Listening - test locations

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fredup
Newly Registered

Level A1 Speaking & Listening - test locations

Post by fredup » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi people

I spoke to a visa consultant today who told me that the A1 Speaking & Listening language test must be taken by the applicant in the applicants home country.

I was then informed by a friend that his wife took the test in the UK while on a family visit visa, which she passed, and they had no problems when applying for her spouse visa when she returned to her home country.

Does anybody know the official line on this? The reason I ask is that my wife is in the UK now on a visitor visa and she would like to take the language test here before she returns to her home country to apply for the spouse visa - one less thing to worry about while we are apart.

Also, although I don't think this will be a problem in our case - does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of times an applicant can take the language test before they must pass?

Many Thanks

Fredup

saw87
Newly Registered

Post by saw87 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi fredup,

I was advised on this forum that it was OK to take the test in any country. My partner took the City & Guilds test at the end of October whilst here in the UK on a visitor visa. If he passes, we will apply for spouse visa in January.

But be careful, I just heard today that the list of approved test providers is changing again on 13th December 2012. I believe you can find the new list on the UKBA website. Thankfully the test my partner took is still on the list!

Also the applicant can take the test as many times as needed to pass.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

fredup
Newly Registered

Post by fredup » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks very much for the info. One has to ask - why do the UKBA feel the need to constantly change the rules on almost every aspect of immigration? It creates a minefield for applicants.

This is slightly off the point, but it's very difficult to respect anything the UKBA does when by the admission of the Home Secretary 'The UK Border Agency is a troubled organisation' (Quote from BBC News).

saw87
Newly Registered

Post by saw87 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:02 pm

To make it as difficult as possible to bring a foreign spouse to the UK - in my opinion anyway!

I'm going to have an immigration solicitor review our application before submission. It's an extra expense but, in my opinion, definitely worth it for a little peace of mind. As you say these new rules make it a minefield for applicants.