ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences on Requesting Passports back from UKBA (EEA2)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:20 pm

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

lee333

Post by lee333 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 pm

1. Was your request for an emergency or leisurely travel? If for leisurely travel, did you state so in your request?
Business travel within 2 weeks of request

2. Did you a) fill in the document return form, b) just email the liverpool office with your names and reference number, or c) send a letter through the post with the request (possibly containing the official form)?
Email the Liverpool passport returns address

3. How long did it take for your passports to be returned from the day of your first request?
Have not received yet. Original request sent 5th November. Subsequently sent a further 9 or 10 requests. Multiple phone calls which have been useless.

4. Did you request them back before or after you received your COA?
After

Suffice to say my business trip did not eventuate and all bookings were burned. Now I am getting seriously worried as next trip abroad is booked for 21st December.

The automated email response to my request 5th November stated "usually within 5 working days", they have now changed this to "usually within 10 working days". Today was the 21st working day since my original request...

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Ugh Lee how horrible!! Maybe you should send a written complaint/request by post as hellrose will be doing? They are in breach of their own standards!

lee333

Post by lee333 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Ugh Lee how horrible!! Maybe you should send a written complaint/request by post as hellrose will be doing? They are in breach of their own standards!
Hi Sofia,

I have just this morning sent a written letter (complaint/request) for the first time.

I spoke to call centre this morning (even though I know there is nothing they can do) and almost had a heart attack when I thought the lady was telling me that subsequent requests sent prior to the 10 day response period being passed means the 10 day clock starts again!! After further discussion though it became apparent that she actually meant any subsequent requests sent within 10 days from the previous request are ignored. She of course could not explain why my original request hadn't been actioned (no matter how many subsequent requests I have sent).

lee333

Post by lee333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 am

I engaged an immigration lawyer yesterday to try and assist with the return of our passports prior to our travel 21st December.

Probably a waste of money but at least it feels like I am trying something different.

Emails, letters and phonecalls to a call centre who can't/won't help just got too frustrating for me.

Will report back if the lawyers manage to acheive anything...

Motani
Newly Registered

Post by Motani » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 am

lee333 wrote:I engaged an immigration lawyer yesterday to try and assist with the return of our passports prior to our travel 21st December.

Probably a waste of money but at least it feels like I am trying something different.

Emails, letters and phonecalls to a call centre who can't/won't help just got too frustrating for me.

Hi Lee333

Did you try involving your MP?
I had very similar situation whereby my initial request for passports was placed day next to application i.e 18/10/12 but was ignored (from later experience). I had tickets booked for travel for 11/11 and hence, I kept requesting them back in the time between. However, it was nothing different from everyone else's case and I had to cancel my ticket etc on receiving nothing. My next target was to get passports back for my new job and most importantly, my wife's travel planned for the 19/12. And the disappointing process of requesting and waiting started all over again, until very recently when I decided to contact my local MP! She was very accommodating and contacted UKBA on my behalf on 4/12 and here I am this morning looking at my passports in hand after weeks of struggle.

Before you get lawyers involved and spend any cash, I suggest approach your MP and see if they can help!

lee333

Post by lee333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Motani wrote:
lee333 wrote:I engaged an immigration lawyer yesterday to try and assist with the return of our passports prior to our travel 21st December.

Hi Lee333

Did you try involving your MP?
I had very similar situation whereby my initial request for passports was placed day next to application i.e 18/10/12 but was ignored (from later experience). I had tickets booked for travel for 11/11 and hence, I kept requesting them back in the time between. However, it was nothing different from everyone else's case and I had to cancel my ticket etc on receiving nothing. My next target was to get passports back for my new job and most importantly, my wife's travel planned for the 19/12. And the disappointing process of requesting and waiting started all over again, until very recently when I decided to contact my local MP! She was very accommodating and contacted UKBA on my behalf on 4/12 and here I am this morning looking at my passports in hand after weeks of struggle.

Before you get lawyers involved and spend any cash, I suggest approach your MP and see if they can help!
Hi Motani,

Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations on a great result! To be honest I thought the MP route was really for more serious situations than mine. May I ask how you went about the initial contact with the MP?

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi lee333,

I have also recently contacted my local MP's office, to ask for assistance in getting my passport back. No news on progress so far, but I'll update here when I do get something!

To find contact details for your local MP, you can use this website: http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

Good luck!
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

lee333

Post by lee333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 pm

flipper77 wrote:Hi lee333,

I have also recently contacted my local MP's office, to ask for assistance in getting my passport back. No news on progress so far, but I'll update here when I do get something!

To find contact details for your local MP, you can use this website: http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

Good luck!

Thanks Flipper, did you call or email them?

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 pm

I phoned the MP's office, and that was fine. I'd recommend phoning yours, at least you'll get to speak to someone, even if they ask you to email instead, at least you'll know where you stand with them!

lee333

Post by lee333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 pm

flipper77 wrote:I phoned the MP's office, and that was fine. I'd recommend phoning yours, at least you'll get to speak to someone, even if they ask you to email instead, at least you'll know where you stand with them!

2 more questions:

1. How much detail did you give them?

2. Do you vote??

Many thanks.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

Maybe this could be a good thing - if people keep contacting the MP's with something they don't have time to deal with on a grand scope, they might start pushing the UKBA to stop forcing people to get in touch with the MP's at all! Keep us posted everyone!

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:21 am

Also, I read on the "timelines" forum that one member filled out the new form, returned it to the liverpool email address, and got his passports within two weeks. Maybe this is the new system they're moving towards?

Here's a paste of what Ultragar said:

Hi,
We have requested our passports back on 09th November, got them back on 24th November.
I was expecting the RC with them as we had applied for EEA2 back in August but they sent us back only our passports....

FROM ME - then I asked him how he did it, here's what he said:

Please go through the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... documents/

I have downloaded 'return of documents' form from there and then sent the filled form to UKBA via email.

lee333

Post by lee333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:11 am

sofia.d.c wrote:Also, I read on the "timelines" forum that one member filled out the new form, returned it to the liverpool email address, and got his passports within two weeks. Maybe this is the new system they're moving towards?

Here's a paste of what Ultragar said:

Hi,
We have requested our passports back on 09th November, got them back on 24th November.
I was expecting the RC with them as we had applied for EEA2 back in August but they sent us back only our passports....

FROM ME - then I asked him how he did it, here's what he said:

Please go through the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... documents/

I have downloaded 'return of documents' form from there and then sent the filled form to UKBA via email.

I have this morning sent off my request to our local MP.

I have also completed the document return form and emailed to both the Liverpool email address and the general document return email address as per the instructions on the form.

Maarian
Newly Registered

Post by Maarian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:57 am

Hi All,

Thanks for informative posts - it helps a lot!

My husband requires his passport and we are filling-in the 'return of documents request' and our question is:

On the request form, under 'Applicant's name' should I write my name (I'm non EEA) or my husband's (EEA)?

It's confusing because on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... documents/ is written
Only the document holder can request their documents back unless it is a withdrawl of an application which then has to be from the main applicant.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Do you have to submit TWO requests for passports back, one from the EEA national and one from the non-EEA? Or do they assume that the request is for all passports included?

Sorry I can't answer your actual question, but perhaps my question will be helpful to you in the end after all!

lee333

Post by lee333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Maarian wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for informative posts - it helps a lot!

My husband requires his passport and we are filling-in the 'return of documents request' and our question is:

On the request form, under 'Applicant's name' should I write my name (I'm non EEA) or my husband's (EEA)?

It's confusing because on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... documents/ is written
Only the document holder can request their documents back unless it is a withdrawl of an application which then has to be from the main applicant.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Why not request them both back?

The form requests details of the Applicant (that is Visa/Entry Clearance applicant, not who is requesting their passport back).

If you only want your husband's passport back:

In the 'Documents Required' section you put your husbands name, nationality, passport number and date of birth.

Then in the 'Please specify whose documents you require' section put 'Spouse'.

lee333

Post by lee333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Well it looks like the lawyers have done the trick!!

I just got a call from them... and they had received a call from the UKBA who said that they got the fax from the lawyers and wanted to let them know that the passports will be posted today!!

So our trip on the 21st is safe and we will not lose £5,000 in travel bookings!!!!

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Lee333 That's UNREAL! Do you know what the solicitors said/if I can get a copy of that letter? Haha. I'm a law student and have wondered if "representing myself" would be sufficient, or if it needs to go on a qualified solicitor's official letterhead.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Also, feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable answering this, but how much did that fax set you back? I'm just wondering because I am kind of assuming I will need to do the same...

lee333

Post by lee333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Lee333 That's UNREAL! Do you know what the solicitors said/if I can get a copy of that letter? Haha. I'm a law student and have wondered if "representing myself" would be sufficient, or if it needs to go on a qualified solicitor's official letterhead.

Thanks Sofia, it is certainly unreal!! I guess for some of us we need to spend money to save money (and sanity...)

I have spent 38 days outside the UK this year renewing EEA Family Permits... and now I have been grounded for the past 6 weeks due to lack of passport.

themarcophoto
Newly Registered

Post by themarcophoto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:02 pm

13/09/12 - Requested passport
19/09/12 - Received passport

lee333

Post by lee333 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:26 pm

themarcophoto wrote:13/09/12 - Requested passport
19/09/12 - Received passport

Surely this must be down to the efficiency or lack thereof of particular case workers?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:35 pm

themarcophoto wrote:13/09/12 - Requested passport
How? By email - which address? Letter - which address? Both?
themarcophoto wrote:19/09/12 - Received passport
Such a turnaround is what it should be. I sent my request on 06/12 by recorded snail mail to the Permanent Migration team, P O Box 306, Liverpool. We'll see what comes of it.

I don't know about anyone else but I am pretty appalled at the wishy-washy system the UKBA has set up to deal with (non) EEA applications. Their inconsistence, incompetence and negligence has left families inconvenienced, frustrated not to mention distraught. How complicated can it be really?

I am currently in no position to complain (yet) but cannot wait to be done with this process!

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi lee333,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner - but looks like you don't need the info anyway! You must be thrilled to know your passports are on the way!

Had you included a Special Delivery envelope? I'll be interested to hear if they use it to return your passport. (When I sent my application, I included a return Special Delivery envelope for return of documents/passports and also an envelope with a first class stamp for them to send my COA - which they didn't use.).

Hope you have a great time away!