ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 (General) extension checks

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

petrohead
Newly Registered

Tier 1 (General) extension checks

Post by petrohead » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Hello everybody,

Im in the process of booking my PEO appointment to extend my stay in the United Kingdom under the Tier 1 (General) catagory. I had initially obtained 'Leave to Remain' for 2 years in 2011 when I was salaried (primary job) as well as the Director of my Limited Company. I used both incomes to secure points for Previous Earnings. I got my visa and since then also got another job. The new role made me extra busy and I was not able to focus on my Limited Company. I also happened to miss the deadline to file my Corporation Tax and Company Returns. Having realized that at a later date, I got in touch with my accountant and subsequently filed my accounts and returns. Im not sure if all of this was done correctly and if I have underpayed or overpaid some tax. However, I thought it could be adjusted in the returns I am filing this year which my accountant will look into and left it at that.

Now, when I apply for my extension I do not need to show my Limited Company anymore as my new job meets the threshold of the salary I require to secure the points. Hence I understand I only need to show my payslips and bank statements along with proof of the £900 maintainance. The rest is tracked from my previous application I gather.

My question is, will the case worker go into my initial application to check on what I had shown for previous earnings and then contact HMRC to check if I have paid the correct tax and if so have I done before my deadline etc? Or Will they simply consider the application on the basis of my current earnings which is from one employment (salaried MNC). I havnt traded since I got the new job and will be closing the company soon. Will closing the company down affect my application in any way? Can the experts shed some light on the issue.

Thank you in advance.

J B

petrohead
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 (General) extension checks

Post by petrohead » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:50 pm

petrohead wrote:Hello everybody,

Im in the process of booking my PEO appointment to extend my stay in the United Kingdom under the Tier 1 (General) catagory. I had initially obtained 'Leave to Remain' for 2 years in 2011 when I was salaried (primary job) as well as the Director of my Limited Company. I used both incomes to secure points for Previous Earnings. I got my visa and since then also got another job. The new role made me extra busy and I was not able to focus on my Limited Company. I also happened to miss the deadline to file my Corporation Tax and Company Returns. Having realized that at a later date, I got in touch with my accountant and subsequently filed my accounts and returns. Im not sure if all of this was done correctly and if I have underpayed or overpaid some tax. However, I thought it could be adjusted in the returns I am filing this year which my accountant will look into and left it at that.

Now, when I apply for my extension I do not need to show my Limited Company anymore as my new job meets the threshold of the salary I require to secure the points. Hence I understand I only need to show my payslips and bank statements along with proof of the £900 maintainance. The rest is tracked from my previous application I gather.

My question is, will the case worker go into my initial application to check on what I had shown for previous earnings and then contact HMRC to check if I have paid the correct tax and if so have I done before my deadline etc? Or Will they simply consider the application on the basis of my current earnings which is from one employment (salaried MNC). I havnt traded since I got the new job and will be closing the company soon. Will closing the company down affect my application in any way? Can the experts shed some light on the issue.

Thank you in advance.

J B
Any advice guys?

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:59 pm

petrohead wrote:My question is, will the case worker go into my initial application to check on what I had shown for previous earnings and then contact HMRC to check if I have paid the correct tax and if so have I done before my deadline etc? Or Will they simply consider the application on the basis of my current earnings which is from one employment (salaried MNC). I havnt traded since I got the new job and will be closing the company soon. Will closing the company down affect my application in any way? Can the experts shed some light on the issue.
Your entire tax history will be checked no matter if it was during the previous application

its ok if you dont meet the deadline to pay taxes as long as they are paid (with penalty in case of missing the deadline)
Manka

petrohead
Newly Registered

Post by petrohead » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Manka10 wrote:
petrohead wrote:My question is, will the case worker go into my initial application to check on what I had shown for previous earnings and then contact HMRC to check if I have paid the correct tax and if so have I done before my deadline etc? Or Will they simply consider the application on the basis of my current earnings which is from one employment (salaried MNC). I havnt traded since I got the new job and will be closing the company soon. Will closing the company down affect my application in any way? Can the experts shed some light on the issue.
Your entire tax history will be checked no matter if it was during the previous application
Thanks Manka10. Tax has been paid but not sure how accurate it is. None the less, I shall verify everything with my accountant

petrohead
Newly Registered

Post by petrohead » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:47 pm

petrohead wrote:
Manka10 wrote:
Thanks Manka10. Tax has been paid but not sure how accurate it is. None the less, I shall verify everything with my accountant
Got in touch with my accountant and my taxes are in order. Just a bit concerned of self assessment as I had done that myself. Can that affect the application too? I had only taken dividends from my company during my last application. I did not take any company profits or salary. Any tips anyone?